1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

How much hp am I looking at?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 12:22 AM

How much hp am I looking at?

Ok, have an 87 manual se. (was automatic) Excedy clutch, underdrive pulley, custom cold air intake and an msd coil. Anyone have at least an estimate on how much this would be?

Heres the second part of my question, how much more would I have If I add a test pipe and msd ignition and a stanza throttle body (ported intake) ?

-Hector
Old 03-13-2004, 11:11 AM

If your cai has a k&n filter you might be seeing an extra 8-15hp, adding the stanza tb and msd ignition could net another 20hp, as far as test pipe? (remove cat you mean?) might not be to much unless your cat is plugged up. You might want to grab a lightened flywheel to pick up a few more hp. It'll proabably be better than spending it on the msn, msn is nice but not really necessary till you start pumping a few more hp, or if you want the digital +7 to control timing to run nitrous.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:18 PM
I love lamp.

I say, judging on what mods you have, maybe about 125-130 whp or so. This is based on how I see your setup, which may put you around 155-158hp at the fly. My car did 135whp on the the dyno with a cone filter, 2.25" catback exhaust and a 3rd gen 5-speed, doing about 159hp at the fly. I would say with a test pipe, you may yield and extra 1-2hp, but keep in mind, without the cat, you hurt your emissions, and I dunno what the case is in your state, but in some, it's illegal to take the cat out. With a throttle body and ignition, I wouldn't neccessarily see a gain, maybe a few ponies, but you will get increase response from the motor, and better mileage.

djdanno, your numbers are not correct. Those are far too optimistic and there are so many factors that effect that. First of all the K&N filter is completely wrong. I only say 7hp gain with a K&N cone filter and 2.25" catback exhaust. With the stock piping, there is no way to see an 8-15 hp gain. Also, it's known that the 60mm TB and MSD ignition increases throttle response, but it DOES NOT give you a 20hp gain. Unless you can give me a dyno showing proof of this, this too is far fetched. I suggested that before you post information like that, you should reasearch your info throughly.

S
Old 03-13-2004, 10:10 PM

I agree 100%. Just remember that any simple bolt on will not yield much of an increase in power on it's own. It's when they're combined that you see the difference. I say go for the tb mod, it'll go nicely with your CAI. Myself, I'd pass on the ignition. Th stock system is more than capable of handling what is still basically a stock engine. When I installed my cone filter, I moved the battery closer to the engine and put the filter right behind the headlight. I also did the tb swap at the same time, match porting the intake to it and also bypassing the tb coolant lines. No sense in getting colder air in and then just heating it back up. I also have a flowmaster on it as well. I'll have to borrow my buddies G-Tech and get some rough power estimates for you. IIRC, last time I had about 120 at the wheels with the g-tech, before I did anything to the car. To get 35+ more horse, you'd need to do some serious work, cams, port & polish, or go nitrous or forced induction.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:39 PM

hey what about that 300zx ecu?? A friend has an automatic one and did the swap...WOW what a difference..cept his smokes black from time to time...hmm
Old 03-15-2004, 10:01 PM
I love lamp.

With a 300zx ECU, you can probably net around 3-8hp at the fly depending if you have a 85-86 or an 87-88. I'm saying you will get this, but it might be possible.

S
Old 03-16-2004, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by wylie-c
I agree 100%. Just remember that any simple bolt on will not yield much of an increase in power on it's own. It's when they're combined that you see the difference. I say go for the tb mod, it'll go nicely with your CAI. Myself, I'd pass on the ignition. Th stock system is more than capable of handling what is still basically a stock engine. When I installed my cone filter, I moved the battery closer to the engine and put the filter right behind the headlight. I also did the tb swap at the same time, match porting the intake to it and also bypassing the tb coolant lines. No sense in getting colder air in and then just heating it back up. I also have a flowmaster on it as well. I'll have to borrow my buddies G-Tech and get some rough power estimates for you. IIRC, last time I had about 120 at the wheels with the g-tech, before I did anything to the car. To get 35+ more horse, you'd need to do some serious work, cams, port & polish, or go nitrous or forced induction.
What are your winters like in your neck of the woods?

I was going to bypass my car's TB coolant lines but was a little
worried about the winters and ice buildup.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 03-16-2004, 06:47 AM

well, as for hector, he's right on the mexican/texas border...peopel there have never seen snow...it would probably scare them going up north, and seeing all the white powder on the ground...they wouldn't understand...

Old 03-16-2004, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by MaxWgn
well, as for hector, he's right on the mexican/texas border...peopel there have never seen snow...it would probably scare them going up north, and seeing all the white powder on the ground...they wouldn't understand...
Hee-hee

Silly me, I didn't look at the side bar to see where he was from!

Scott
Old 03-16-2004, 10:34 AM
I love lamp.

I think wylie-c weather is pretty similar to mine. We just get lots of rain during the winter months. We don't see that much snow at all. We get it every now and then, but its not around for too long.

S
Old 03-16-2004, 11:57 AM

Yep, not too much for snow, and doesn't really get too cold either. It dips just below freezing now and then.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:50 PM

our winter just finished, we only got like half an inch of snow LOL yeah its a sweatbox here. I removed my exhaust sheilds and dammm
Old 03-17-2004, 10:28 PM
I love lamp.

Funny thing is, it rarely gets hot up here. Hell, I'm amazed my A/C pumps out ice cold air because it rarely get's used!

S
Old 03-18-2004, 02:25 PM

Whover has an ac..consider yourself lucky Mine doesnt work heh and my passanger window does not go down. woo cant wait for the 104 temp in the summer. This year they are forcasting 105 ...dammmm stupid global warming. I think every year we get one degree more. Oddly .in the winter also get colder.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:19 PM
I love lamp.

lol! When there is a hot day over here, I will think of you while I sit in my nicely a/c'd interior, drinking a coke.

S
Old 03-18-2004, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
lol! When there is a hot day over here, I will think of you while I sit in my nicely a/c'd interior, drinking a coke.

S
Hey, does your a/c compressor make quite a bit of noise when it's running? Sort of sounds like another little engine? Mine does, but I'm not sure if I want to get it recharged if the thing is shot. The system is full, but the freon needs to be replaced, it barely gets any cooler than the ambient outside air.