1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Various tune-up questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 07:38 PM

Various tune-up questions

I was wondering what everyone's opinion was about some products.

Has anyone tried the Nippondenso iridium spark plugs? A few months ago I replaced my Autolites with the NGK V-power plugs (autolites are good for an old chevy, but not for foreign cars) and noticed a nice difference in performance. but today I tried the nippondenso iridiums and feel even more pickup and hit-the-gas-and-go than it had before.

I also wanted to know about a product called Engine Restorer. it's an oil additive. I've seen the stuff and it claims to restore horsepower and this and that. my sister said that it works pretty good and I wanted to know what the general opinion was.

and what about pure-synthetic oils? I've seen people who swear by it and use nothing else, and also pay upwards of $6 a quart for it. is there really a difference that I'm missing out on with my regular castrol or pennzoil at $1.50 a quart?

also, what's a good fuel injector cleaner? I've heard that lucas makes a good one, and I've also heard that seafoam is supposed to work pretty good. each auto parts store literally has a shelf of different cleaners and it's hard to pick one.

Dan
Old 08-28-2004, 08:25 PM

Ive got V-power and they rock for my max.

Engine restorer works really good. Almost too good. Do it right before an oil change because your oil will be black after you use it. I used it and changed the oil shortly there after.

Seafoam rocks. I love the stuff. Use it in the gas tank,brake booster,crankcase its awesome. If you use it in the oil you have to change the oil. You put it in let the car Idle for five min, then do an oil change.

How much were those iridiums you got?
Old 08-28-2004, 08:59 PM

the iridiums were not cheap. but I took the sentra out again and holy sh!?#$, I can definitely feel the increase in power. it's not just something in my head. they ran about $12 a piece, but I work for a popular auto zone here and was able to work some strings through our commercial sales to get them at a lower price. it was worth it though, I think. I had some guy buy the iridiums for his '02 mustang cobra, it came to about $90 for 8 of them, but he said they were the best he's ever seen.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:32 AM

as for oil... hmm, I usually run mobil1 dino oil for the daily drivers, reserved synthetic only in the track car.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by blackmaxima88
and what about pure-synthetic oils? I've seen people who swear by it and use nothing else, and also pay upwards of $6 a quart for it. is there really a difference that I'm missing out on with my regular castrol or pennzoil at $1.50 a quart?
Ok, this is bottom line with oil: All oil breaks down with use, it's a fact. Synthetic simply breaks down slower. And a synthetic blend is in between regular and full synthetic. The harder you drive, the faster the deterioration. Some people say it depends on if your driving city or highway most of the time. I'm not sure what truth there is to that, except cars love steady highway cruising, which may be why they recommend regular for that.

Anyway, unless you see your tach needle creep past about 5k rpm more than once a week, you don't need synthetic. If you often shift above 3-or-4k, maybe a syn-blend would be good. Otherwise, regular is ok. You know how hard you drive the car, so use your judgement. If you don't need sythetic, save some money and don't use it.

Mobil 1 is good stuff. It costs about $4 a quart. It's OEM in Mercedes AMG cars, the Dodge Viper, and all Porches, to name a few. I dunno if that says anything or not. There's some stuff called Royal Purple which is supposedly the greatest synthetic oil in the history of man. It restores HP and improves engine life. Whatever. It costs around $6/quart and really is purple.

If your buying regular oil, any brand will do--with regular, oil is oil. Pick the brand your dad swears by (Pennzoil for my Pops) just to make him proud.

One more thing about synthetics: It is highly recommended that once you start using synthetic in a motor, you must continue using it. I'm not sure why this is, but I know people say it often.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:53 AM

i use syn power and it made my car quieter. some times i have to question weither its still running or not.