1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Best cleaners/wax etc. for a white '87 GXE Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 09:59 AM

Best cleaners/wax etc. for a white '87 GXE Sedan

I've got loads of water runoff marks on the fenders and body, greasy mechanic's fingerprints on the hood and trunk, old chalky wax on the moldings, and just embedded dirt and dull on the body. Can you provide any tips on how you all bring out the beauty from this great car?

Also, the wheels I've got are stock with lots of small areas where red brake dust and surface dirt has accumulated, how can I safely get this stuff off and keep these wheels clean?

Thanks again!

Old 09-20-2004, 01:59 PM

Check the detailing forum.
I ended up using clay bar. Its great for the body stuff you mentioned. It gets out just about anything. I prefer mothers clay bar its awesome. As for the rims I don't know. I just took off my fronts and theres 17 years of brake dust. These wheels do look good when theyre clean so I guess Ill let you know when I find out.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:47 PM

I've had some pretty good luck with the turtle wax polishing compound. it comes in a little green container. you wash the car and put this stuff on there. it comes in handy for basically anything on the paint.

as for wax, I used one called zymol with excellent results. it's expensive (and I mean expensive. to the tune of $13 a bottle) but you're getting what you pay for. between the polishing compound and the zymol, the once weatherbeaten finish on my 10-year-old car looks new, with the exception of the scratches.

and for the rims, I've actually used engine degreaser with decent results. I used the gunk foamy engine brite and a toothbrush. let the engine degreaser soak in for a while to loosen as much as you can. but they looked good as new too, except for the scratches in the alloy. you might be able to use brake cleaner as well, but that suff evaporates almost instantly, so you might need a lot of it.

Dan
Old 09-20-2004, 02:55 PM
imported_JIC_A33

Originally Posted by Drjmaxx88
Check the detailing forum.
I ended up using clay bar. Its great for the body stuff you mentioned. It gets out just about anything. I prefer mothers clay bar its awesome. As for the rims I don't know. I just took off my fronts and theres 17 years of brake dust. These wheels do look good when theyre clean so I guess Ill let you know when I find out.
clay bar is the s,hit! griotsgarage.com they are kinda pricy, but they have the best detailing stuff $$ can buy. I just washed, clayed, waxed my max and it looks great! the clay bar will remove lots of crap from the paint.

Old 09-20-2004, 05:40 PM

I like Eagle 1 A-Z All Wheel and Tire cleaner--it comes in a bright orange bottle. It really takes the crap off. However, I've noticed if left on too long it can detiorate the finish. I do small sections at a time with a little toothbrush looking thing. However, I have the flat-faced wheels; but I still scrub in between the little spokes one-by-one. Other Eagle 1 wheels cleaners don't work as well, I feel, but may be safer on the finish.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:24 PM
I love lamp.

Dawn Soap treatment, followed by the clay bar, 2 coats Meguiars Show Finish Polish, 2 coat Meguiars Gold Class Wax. Use a orbital buffer to make life easier.

S
Old 09-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hmmmm...

No WONDER the car detailing business is like, a ga-zillion dollar industry! I personally use Meguiar's products. I really like their "Detail Spray" for my Jaguar. She stays in the ga-rudge under cover. I just wish my Gen 2 would become popular enough to be collectable. It appears that the Gen 3 cars have already beat them out. My daughter's 90 is, I must admit, very....sweet!