1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help

Well, to make a long story short. I was racing and my hadncontrols must have broke the pieces that pushs the brake light switch in. so the brake lights stay on. and i didnt know it untill i got pulled. does anyone know how i can fix it
Old 10-02-2004, 02:08 PM

huh?

in order to help you, I need you to be a little more specific. and no offense, but a little more clear. when you say brake light, are you talking about the brake lights in the back of the car, the brake warning light on the dashboard, or the brake light "warning light" (tells you if a brake light is burned out)?

because it could be too many possibilities to post in one reply.

Dan
-------------------------
1994 Sentra XE
Old 10-02-2004, 02:16 PM

...but from the sounds of it, I would say the pedal stopper switch got busted. the only way to fix that is to replace it. you can either drive it the way it is, and have your brake lights on all the time, which is illegal and will probably drain your battery, or you can disconnect the switch and have no brake lights at all, which is dangerous and can cause an accident. as of now, the lesser of two evils is to leave it the way it is until you can get a new brake light switch. but I'd do as little driving as absolutely necessary until you can make it to a junkyard or auto parts store.

once you get the switch, it's a matter of finding the switch. there are 2 on the pedal stopper, one for the cruise control and one for the brake lights. disconnect one, if the brake lights are still on, it's the other switch. loosen the locknut on the pedal stopper, put the switch in, tighten the nut. done.

Dan