1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Another gauging interest post...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 08:27 AM

Another gauging interest post...

Since our mod hasn't paid, nor come and picked up the car, I am considering parting out the following car - will only sell parts which will not affect the car rolling..smaller parts, easy to ship, since no one seems to be anywhere close enough to pick the car, or parts, up.

1987 Maxima station wagon GXE...floater
247k miles.

Silver in color (not original paint - any panel would need to be repainted.)
Brand new rack and pinion (Not selling off car)
rebuilt ps pump
recent, low-milage tranny (not selling off car)
brand new multi-switch stalks in the column (headlight, etc)
recent, all new 1/2 shafts (not selling off car)
all brake calipers recently rebuilt, and in great shape
all glass good but windshield (sunroof from a sedan)
body nice and straight, except one small dent on hood, and fingernail sized spot of rust on rear hatch, right under window.)
Interior 99% complete, grey, decent shape - little dirty
Some switches in dash are broken (rear wiper switch for certain)
good HVAC control panel (A/C button is bad, though...removable from panel)
recent struts (Gabriel -only ones avail in town)- needs front strut mounts (not selling off car)
virtually brand new Falken Ziex ZE-512 tires (not selling off car)

Sunroof motor going out (don't ask for)
Starter going out (don't ask for)
Fuel pump MAY be going out - can buy at own risk

Like I said, most of the bigger items I will not sell. Would make a great parts car, work car (with a little work), or a VG30ET swap project for someone...

Only taken down because the exhaust manifold studs on the rear side of the engine broke (5 of the 6 did, anyway). Do not have time, equip., money to sink into it.

Can still ran great and pulled hard when it went down - A/C does not work (not sure if only due to bad on/off button, or what is wrong).

Asking $300 for entire car, for anyone who is interested, and close enough to pick it up. Car will need to be towed, rear exhaust manifold, intake hose assembly, and battery are out of the car.

Entire car listed - parting out is just posted to gause interest...
Old 07-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You got a pm
Old 07-17-2005, 08:24 AM

Intrested. what went wrong to cause you to take it apart?
Old 07-17-2005, 08:53 AM
I love lamp.

Broken exhaust studs.

S
Old 07-17-2005, 08:55 AM

they just broke??? Or the gasket was blown and removing them caused them to break?
Old 07-17-2005, 10:24 PM
I love lamp.

VG's have a nasty habit of breaking them.

S
Old 07-17-2005, 11:34 PM

i've had a few broekn ones but some one managed to get them out and replaced
Old 07-18-2005, 06:42 AM

Yeah, they do break - crappy 8mm studs...and they broke flush to the head...with it being an aluminum head, and all, with the tools and equipemtn I have available to me, the only way for me to do it without risk of damaging the head was to pull the head off...and the parts, and time involved for me to do that were cost prohibitive, so the car has been sitting. If I'd had the time and money, she'd still be motoring down the road...if I did fix her, and had to remove the head, was gonna pull both heads, and have a valve job done, and replaced all the studs with either NisMo 10mm studs or ARP 10mm studs. That should have prevented anymore unwanted breakage of of studs in the future. In fact, if I had the money, there is a local Nissan pickup, 88 model, with a bad engine, for $300...if I had the time, etc..., I'd buy the truck, and swap the VG into it...

I will also publicly appologize to Q as well. This was not meant to come across bad for him. I just had not heard anything in a while, and we're needing to do something with the car.

As he is wanting it for parts, I have asked him what parts he's wanting off the car. After I have gotten this info, I will post again, and mention what parts may be available that he doesn't want. This way, I can lower the overall cost of the car for him, and help someone else out, also.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:26 AM

OK, Q is only really after the trans and the brake calipers...

so interior trim - including the black, 4-spoke SE steering wheel i put in it, are open...

most of what's under the hood (i guess...)

electronics, etc...

let's get this beast out of my drive way...sell enough to help Q get the beast...
Old 07-21-2005, 06:48 AM

No one's interested in ANYTHING?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:15 AM

Well, so much time has passed, and car still hasn't sold. Q wasn't able to get the funds together in time, and my wife said it has got to go this week...

So, we're donating to charity. We don't get any money for it initially, but we get a $500 minimum deductable on our tax return...due to the avaerage cost of a shop performing the primary repair, it'll likely get sold off as scrap metal, gutted, and melted down...just wish I could canabalize parts from it for my Mazda...

R.I.P. - 1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon @ 247k miles...too bad, she woulda made a great project or parts car for someone.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:46 AM

Damn I wanted the tires! I would have paid 100 + traded mine ....
Old 07-25-2005, 07:58 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by MaxWgn
Only taken down because the exhaust manifold studs on the rear side of the engine broke (5 of the 6 did, anyway). Do not have time, equip., money to sink into it.

Can still ran great and pulled hard when it went down - A/C does not work (not sure if only due to bad on/off button, or what is wrong).

was the manifold still on?, i would of kept driving it, sence you had so much stuff done to it.......
Old 07-25-2005, 11:34 AM

mani was pulled...it would not pass state safety inspection, and was leaking badly...knew the gasket was blown...hoping that was all...when i got in there to pull the mani off, one stud was already busted, and missing, 2 came off in my hand, and another two snapped when I tried to break the nut free...one came off ok, but destroyed the stud in the process...

I do not have the time, or money to invest in it anymore...I needed a car that was reliable, as both my wife and I need to be able to get to work, AND haul around the kids when needed. So, instead of having a shop fix them for $600 +, I opted for a cheap, used, low-milage, reliable little sedan...hence my purchasing a low-milage Mazda 626...and the milage is a nice bonus...

The power to weight ratio is almost the same as the max, also...on the HP scale...and since the engine is a modified truck model, it's VERY torquey...

I do miss the 4-wheel discs, and the over-all smoothness of the VG, but otherwise, my Mazda has all the same amenities as my Max, and in the Mazda's case, they all work - AC will freeze you out, the sunroof works, and doesn't leak, the headlights are nice, bright, and clear...and the front seats are some of the most comfortable, supportive seats ever put in a car by an OEM...

If I could, I'd keep it, and either rebuild or restore it myself...

As for the tires, I'm trying to keep those myself, and the charity will take the car with or without them...now if I can just find a set of 15" wheels to fit my Mazda...5x114.3 bolt-pattern...3rd + gen wheels fit great, but they're all so damn expensive around here...
Old 07-25-2005, 01:16 PM

Damn you.....damm you and your 626 to **** !!!!! I never really liked them. I've owned alot of cars and I think the best oem seats actually go to the 1988-1989 Prelude Si. Infact alot of truck enthusiast that want aftermarket but don't want to pay so much opt for them.

Maxima's are better.
This thread just went to 1134
Old 07-25-2005, 04:30 PM
I love lamp.

Was that a lame attempt at a flame alex18?

Actually, I have to say the 2nd gen SE seats are pretty nice/supportive. Of course they aren't the best, but I have to say they do well for oem's as well. The GXE one's where just plush...but that's about it.

S
Old 09-11-2005, 05:59 PM

Max wag , Do you still have the car ? I need all the inter , Please say you still have it!