1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

A few problems with my Max

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005 | 10:07 AM

A few problems with my Max

1. Whenever the car sits for a couple of hours and I get into it, expecially over night the clutch pedal will go down without effort until you get to the very bottom then it starts to feel normal. After a few minutes and pumping it, it will be back to normal and feels like a spring is pushing the clutch back towards me like it should.

2. The brake pedal will sometimes stay down and the brakes will not disengage. It just started this the other day, I was thinking a spring on the brake pedal is gone, or possibly my rear brakes.

3. The steering is strange on the freeway. If I turn it lightly to one way or another it will slightly jerk and try to swerve me into the next lane.

My thoughts on the problems.

1. slave cylinder
2. have no idea
3. have no idea
Old 07-22-2005 | 11:34 AM
Blown

I would also say your slave cyl. on number one. Make sure your resivor is full, its on the fire wall in the driver side corner.

The second one I am not sure but I would check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder, that may be starting to fail as well or you may have a caliper that is locking up. Both the slave an master cyl use DOT 3.

For you third question, I have no clue, only thing I could guess would be the rack...other people on here have much more experience with steering problems than I do.

*also one the brake thing, make sure you brake booster is working and that the hose is pluged in and not cracked, I had a similar problem when I was not getting a tight seal on my brake booster line. Its the one that is coming from around the fire wall that plugs in to that metal stick looking tube coming off the plenum close to the Throttle body side.
Old 07-24-2005 | 12:02 AM

Good news I pressed down on the brake petal and a little pin fell out and now the brake petal is working normal, somewhat (At least their not grabing without pushing the pedal).

The fluid is good, I checked that a while back to make sure because I've had experience with hydro trannys before.

Rack and pinion has not had fluid for a while, I think the insides are dieing a slow and painful death. It will need to be changed soon along with the power steering fluid leak fixed, I assume its the pump. Good news on my next post.
Old 07-29-2005 | 07:56 AM

Did you confirm that your slave cylinder for the clutch was good? You may have some air in your lines as well. Just something to consider.
Old 07-31-2005 | 02:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my max has some issues also

i have a 84 maxima with a 3.2! diesel block and crank, 6 inch rods , 90 mm pistons, 277 on cam, 83 zx 5 speed, r200 4:11s! anyways i have turbo injectors but stock maf and evetrything else is stock .. throttle body and all. i have a ported manifold i want to put on as well as a header. i had to tap into my temp sensor to make it run richer or leaner. i want to run a newer system on the car from say a z31. anyone have information on how to get a z31 computer and system to work on a l-series? and how would the distributor and timing work? i know this 3.2 has alot of potential, but with the current fuel system its not performing well. i also want to run a bigger throttle body. if i could have it my way i would run say the z31 computer, 300zx maf, and a 60 to 70mm throttle body with 2 2/14 pipes off my header.

also it wont idle now was driving fine now it runs crazy rich .. i think its o2 sensor or temp sensor. when i unplug maf it changes and teh tps dont change the running condition so maybee that also. anyways if anyone has any info to help me out please let me know thanks!
Old 08-06-2005 | 03:34 PM

Interesting project. I have heard of the Z-cars doing this, but not a Maxima. Are you using a thicker head gasket for deck height increase? So you are using the stock L24E EFI? What cyclinder head are you running now?
You need to step up to the late L28E (280ZX) intake manifold! It is larger than the L24E one with large dia. runners! The L28ET intake manifold from the 280ZX Turbo is also a good choice (I think the runner inside dia. is the same, but I could be wrong). but the runners are the same length as the NA version (but the plenum chamber could be a little larger). You also need the L28E EFI system fitted with turbo injectors and a SAFC-II (easy to install and tune). Then go and dyno tune!
You can use the system from the Z31 NA motor with no real issues as I understand it. You will just need to take all the Z31 EFI stuff; harness, etc. and then figure out how to put it in. There are L-series Z-cars that are using this system.
Also see the Nissan Motorsports Catalog or the Motorsports Auto (of Orange, CA) for headers and stuff.

Me, I have a 7/82 910 Maxima with factory 5spd (may change to the Z-car late model "B version" 5spd if it is stronger or has a taller 5th than the Maxima's). Soon it will have the 280ZX Turbo motor (from a 2/82 ZXT) and I hope the Turbo Z31 ECU and MAS sensor conversion. It will be intercooled and fitted with extra injectors for use at full boost. I think I want to get the 2mm metal head gasket for even more boost.
The diff will be the 3.54:1 R200 with CV shafts from the same 280ZX Turbo I am getting the engine from. For me it's all about top speed.