1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Vacuum Hose Routing Assistance... please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:33 PM
KaZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Vacuum Hose Routing Assistance... please...

I've searched, and couldn't find any links/images/etc to what I'm looking for...

I need a Vacuum Diagram for an '88 Maxima. I've got a slew of vacuum lines (I actually have more connections than I do lines at the moment, which is bad!)

Story:
Car was my younger brothers...
He did the timing belt himself (he's fairly competent)
Unfortunately it was improperly adjusted, so he adjusted it... a few times...
Motor shut off one day when the timing belt tensioner stud snapped... eek.
Brother didn't know the cause for engine shutoff and attempted to start it...
Lots of loud nasty noises...

Anyway... since I work on Nissan in my free time (I've worked on HUNDREDS, of 90-96 300ZXs [mostly Twin Turbos]) I offered to fix it for him... our father bought him a used engine I found off ebay ($150 shipped in good condition) and bought all the parts needed (it was a 3rd Gen VG), seals, etc and we got set up to start. Well our younger brother (who was a Nissan Technician before starting college) decided he'd help out while I was at work one day and took it all apart to the point of pretty much removing the engine... but he tried to do it, leaving the transmission in the car (5spd), which didn't work, so I ended up dropping the trans out the bottom, and pulling the engine out the top.

Present time, I have the car about 99% back together and ready to fire it up (I'm going to use it as a daily while I VQ35 swap my '97 Maxima), but since I didn't take the car apart at all, its been a really fun time figuring out this jigsaw puzzle of a project... I have a Haynes manual, but its really useless for vacuum hose routing. Does ANYONE have a picture of the Factory Repair manual's vacuum hose diagram? I'm particularly interested in all the hookups around the throttle body... I have more fittings then I do lines at the moment (I think I'm missing a T or something) but I have no idea where everything goes... if someone would be kind enough to supply this diagram I could finish this up, probably tonight (I've been working on it for months... its hard to work on when you have other projects, kids, a wife, a life, a job, other shade tree work [I've had three seperate late model Z32s at my house in the past three weekends since I got back from XMas vacation!] but I'm working hard to finish things up!).

Any assistance at all, even just a word by word "this goes here, that goes there" would be helpful. I have everything factory, only thing I have done (was previously done actually) is the airbox was pulled an a K&N Intake and Velocity Stack from a Z32 was tapped and installed on the MAF, so if there are any connections to that (I think there is an AIV tube that should go to the air intake that is just hanging above it).

Thanks in advance!!

If I get time, I'll post pictures of the engine bay as is with all the various hoses I have laying around unattached... =(
Old 01-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Blown

I have asked for this before a long time ago. I don't think anyone had a diagram. I no longer have my second gen. But I think if you post pics of the engine bay possibly numbering all of the hook ups/hoses then people could probably say "1 goes to 2". Just and idea. There is a tee that is kinda behind the TB (firewall side of TB). I no longer have my second gen or I would be able to help you more. Also did you ever sell your S12?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:02 PM
KaZ

Thanks for the offer, I'll probably have to do that... the Haynes manual is "decent" for some things, and a joke for others...

The S12 I ended up sending to the junker... which was a shame. I'd tried to sell it whole, but it was worth more in parts, than it was as a complete running car... I just basically had the shell with the interior and rear suspension, and interested parties were taking their sweet time with trying to come by... so I just had it towed away... which was a shame, but oh well.

I've got the one T on that side... but I've got two small vacuums on the TB, one on the manifold, one on the tube that the brake booster connects to, the EGR valve, and then there is a slightly larger fitting right under the TB that I have NO Idea what goes to it. I'm basically short the bigger fitting, the one on the right side of the throttle body, but then I might be misrouting something... so... =(
Old 01-24-2006, 01:41 PM

I need the diagrams badly myself. Another problem I have is that the vaccum sending unit (or whatever it is called) on the firewall of the car near the power steering fluid resovoir isn't working . It is the one that powers the vacuum of the cruise control, Air conditioning (one with auto temp control) and probably some other stuff . I also have a couple of unconnected vacuum lines that I would like to reconnect
Old 01-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I love lamp.

Vaccuum line map is pretty much close to impossible to find. I need to redo my vacuum lines when I get the car going again. Have of them are cracked, leaking etc etc.

S
Old 01-25-2006, 05:28 AM
KaZ

Argh... I'm like [...] <- that close to getting it running grr... had a lot of diagnosing to do... in my sleep deprived stupor (I've been working on it until like 12-12:30 at night, getting up at 6-6:45 every morning, working until 5:30pm, getting home around 7pm, eating, and going back to work on it the last few days) I forgot to tighten down the alternator ground (it was on, but not tight). Then I found the starter wasn't tightened completely [ground I mean]... then I thought the starter was dead (my friend and I actually pulled it almost completely apart testing it, then putting it back together, spraying it with liquid wrench [was out of WD] and surprisingly it works now [we figured it would either work or explode... which we thought was worth watching]. Starter finally started to make noise, but it still wouldn't kick over... At first it was just clicking once and everything shut off! Other friend that was watching kept saying it was the battery (Red Top Optima I pulled from my other Maxima) and I kept telling him no... and even put it back in my '97, which started right up first try (still didn't stop him later from saying it was the battery). Then, I found out I'd put the battery ground to the engine in the wrong spot (remember, I didn't take this car apart, I have no idea where crap goes, I'm just using my knowledge of other Nissans and the almost useless Haynes Manual for reference), which was on the exhaust manifold (the way the wire was bent/shaped, it looked like it bolted to one of the bolts on the crossover pipe), so I moved it to the trans... finally all the electricals would work, AND stay on when we tried to click the starter over... but I was still getting flack from the starter, so I started tapping it with a sledge hammer (which we had done earlier, with no results, but things were right yet). It started to clickclickclickclickclick quicker and flicker the lights, but still no kick... traced the relay and started tinkering with it (My TTZ's relay had gone previously so I knew to tap it to make sure it was working) and FINALLY it actually would roll over!!!!!

UNFORTUNATELY... I think I have the distributor in wrong... because if I roll it over with the fuel injectors plugged in, it eventually started popping, and almost backfiring out the intake... which leads me to believe its igniting at the wrong time... I've got fuel, and I've got spark (tested both), but I put the distributor in when I had the engine on the stand, and attempted to follow the Haynes procedures, but I'm sure I could have misread, or simply done it wrong... if I unplug the injectors, the engine will roll and roll and roll very smoothly, but not start... if I plug them back in, it will roll smoothly for a few rotations, then starts popping and puttering, like it wants to start, but its not firing right (I have the spark plug wires run right, and I have spark, I think they're just firing wrong). Anyone have a link for proper distributor realignment? I was going to align it at at 15tdc and pull the distributor and then put it back so its just touching the #1 contact. I think before I set the engine to TDC, and set it so it was just past the #1 (as it should have already fired), but I might have done that wrong...

Once I get it running and I figure out if I have the vacuum run right (I've removed the carbon canister, so my setup will be a little different) but I'll take pictures for reference and post them on the forum for future use. I did replace all of the vacuum lines with new hosing on that side of the engine, so it should be nice and obvious where I ran the hosing in the pictures, but I'll still notate in the pictures what I did. Hopefully they'll stay online...
Old 01-25-2006, 01:11 PM

This is a diagram from an 86 300zx that's been done on z31.com that might help. It's from a turbo, but its the same motor. Hopefully it helps. http://z31.com/board/read.php?id=47782
Old 01-25-2006, 01:26 PM
KaZ

I'll take a look again later, but its setup in a completely different layout, but it might possibly help.