1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Say It Aint So!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 07:47 PM

Say It Aint So!!

Well, it looks like I have found another thing wrong with the max. When the car is turned on it makes a constant noise that sounds like it may point to the power steering, or not. The noise sounds like the noise you get when the power steering is running low on fluid (the resovoir is actually full), but it is a constant noise that only goes away after the car has been driven a while. It sometimes goes away when it is hot as well. My father looked at it and said it might be the transmission going out, I am really hoping that is not it . could he be right, or could it be something else?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:58 PM

If the trans was going out you'd be FEELING something wrong as well as hearing it. And by then you'd be too late to save it. I don't think that is the problem.

I don't know what the car sounds like when the PS fluid is low so I really can't make an accurate guestimate on your situation.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:40 AM

see if it sounds like its coming from under the seats in the back , Mine does that all the time but it comes from the fuel pump im guessing.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:38 AM

it could be the power steering pump itself. is the noise coming from around that area?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Could be the power steering pump going out or possible belt needing replacement.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:11 PM

we checked it again today, and we ruled out the fuel and power steering pumps, what else could it be?
Old 02-16-2006, 03:49 PM

it could possibly be the water pump or even a bearing in the alternator going. try removing the drive belts one by one and starting the car each time. if the noise disappears you've found the culprit. it wouldn't hurt to check the condition of the timing belt either
Old 02-16-2006, 03:52 PM

i assume you did check the trans. fluid level too, right?
Old 02-16-2006, 04:49 PM

yup the ATF fluid is at the normal level
Old 02-16-2006, 06:19 PM

It could very well be a bearing in one of your pulleys as previously mentioned.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:29 PM

just to give you guys a better idea of what it sounds like, I would say the sound is like a noisy mustang supercharger under the hood. 2 people have already inquired if I have one (supercharger)
Old 02-16-2006, 09:57 PM

That sounds like a bearing problem. Definitely check/replace your alternator pulley. I'm not sure about the Max but in most cars it's the alternator pulley that likes to fail bearings.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:00 AM

When I first got my car I had the timing belt replaced. The shop also pressure washed the engine bay. Dumbasses. Anyway, among other things, it damaged the idler pulleys on the accessory belt. Had them replaced, were like $110 for two from the dealer, but the noise went away.

You may want to try an automotive s***hiscope if you have one, or you can do it ghetto with a long (one piece) socket extension pressed to your ear and put it on the individual components. That should help you track it down.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Technischer
see if it sounds like its coming from under the seats in the back , Mine does that all the time but it comes from the fuel pump im guessing.

dude, those are wheel bearings going out, you wheels gonna fall off!

i aint kidding they will if you dont replace them.

you and roger...blue...thing...need to jack your cars up and see if theres any play in the wheels when you push on them from side to side...by side tyo side i mean

one hand on oppisite points and push away from you with one hand and then the other.

or if in the rears jack the car up parking, brake off, spin the rear wheel off the ground and hold onto the spring and if you can feel the roughness while the wheel turns your bearings are shot...not sure if this works in the front, never had any thing like that go out up front
Old 02-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Mass_Media™

ITS SO!!!!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
dude, those are wheel bearings going out, you wheels gonna fall off!

i aint kidding they will if you dont replace them.

you and roger...blue...thing...need to jack your cars up and see if theres any play in the wheels when you push on them from side to side...by side tyo side i mean

one hand on oppisite points and push away from you with one hand and then the other.

or if in the rears jack the car up parking, brake off, spin the rear wheel off the ground and hold onto the spring and if you can feel the roughness while the wheel turns your bearings are shot...not sure if this works in the front, never had any thing like that go out up front
Only thing is if the noise is happening from a stop, this is ruled out. I assumed this but now I'm not sure if they mean it happens while driving or while the car is on.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:41 PM

MY noise is whether the car is parked, moving, whatever. it actually seems to go away sometimes by the time I get off the freeway (no noise whatsoever). But then it can suddenly come back after I turn the car off and on again.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:48 PM

have you checked out all the pulleys, belts etc yet?
Old 02-19-2006, 07:57 PM

How could i be wheel bearings , It does it when my cars not moving , And its coming from the fuel tank , Its almost a mix of whistle , And a buzzing noise.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Technischer
How could i be wheel bearings , It does it when my cars not moving , And its coming from the fuel tank , Its almost a mix of whistle , And a buzzing noise.
That's what I said.

It's wierd that it's coming from the fuel tank. Do you notice any effects on driveability? Does it seem to hesitate when you try to give it gas? The only thing in the gas tank that makes noise is the fuel pump.