1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

according to california......

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007 | 06:01 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

according to california......

my turbo charged 300zx motor swap w/ 200sx intake is considered a new car.

so i went to the referee station to see whats up with it because too many smog shops told me that they wouldnt smog it, so i decided to go, one smog shop owner even told me that the car better pass or it would be crushed, that seems to not be true, the california smog referee station cannot crush cars or make an order to, they are just friendly ppl that relay information and not an enforcer of california law of any sort, according to "Mike" the referee at the southwestern college, he told me the whole breakdown of what auto makers do if they want to sell their cars in cali, and basically i have to do the same thing

so

the decision in wether i should take off the turbo and use the regular exaust manifold, and maxima intake manifold

or

go through with the fees and be declared a car maker in the state of california and "webster motor sports" (WMS) begins

what would you do?
Old 08-01-2007 | 12:58 PM

I usually smog a new car before modding it and get two year tags.

That's if the car ran, though.
Old 08-01-2007 | 03:26 PM

which ever is cheaper!
Old 08-01-2007 | 06:55 PM

I personally would do it, and take it one step further.

I would pay the fees to establish your own LLC (limited liability corperation), in your case Webster Motor Sports, LLC. On your application, put down you build cars. You can now write off quite a number of things. A certain square footage of your house (if you own one), most of your telephone bill, most parts you need to buy, even gas. But the thing is, you have to keep meticulous records of everything, and come tax time you'd better have everything, and prepare to pay someone to do your taxes for you.

A friend of mine did that as a "Consulting firm", in fact, he just advised one company, once, (officially) of what software to use for a certain project. They paid him, and ever since then he hasn't made another dime but he still gets all those tax breaks I just told you about........ It's just a matter of how much it's worth to you.....
Old 08-01-2007 | 08:28 PM
Alex_V

Is it because the 200sx intake? Is that what pushes it over the edge or is it being a 300zx turbo engine.

Personally I'd probably just take the turbo off and bypass it. It wouldn't really effect the emissions test much since you have a chipped stock ecu right? Then it would look just like a stock maxima. You don't have to swap injectors or blocks, not too hard and simplifys alot.

~Alex
Old 08-01-2007 | 10:19 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

yeah what i figured was to swap out the exaust manifolds and ecu and smog it, would the 300zx injectors make the engine act wierdly

and what sends it over th edge is the 200sx intake and the turbow/intercooler
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:09 AM

Only if they are turbo injectors. If so.........keep the 300zx ecu in it.
Old 08-02-2007 | 08:06 AM

I am soooo glad I don't live in California. In Missouri all we have is a cheesy visual safety inspection. God bless it!
Old 08-02-2007 | 06:24 PM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey
Only if they are turbo injectors. If so.........keep the 300zx ecu in it.
If he keeps the ecu as is it should work fine, as the ecu will just think its not making any boost.

make sure your egr works perfectly and the cat converter isn't clogged.

~Alex
Old 08-03-2007 | 07:09 AM

No inspections or smog testing in Michigan. Kind of nice, but some people drive some real trash that probably shouldn't be on the road.
Old 08-03-2007 | 09:58 AM

How much will it cost to be declared an auto maker?
Old 08-03-2007 | 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by UberZogster
How much will it cost to be declared an auto maker?
http://www.wise4living.com/busllc/michigan.htm (about benifits)
http://www.corporate.com/state-fees.htm (state fees per year)

The two easiest ways to set one up
http://www.speedy-incorporation.com/...michigan.shtml
http://www.legalzoom.com/legalzip/LL...procedure.html

Basically, you have to pay 1. the setup fee (not much, $99- $150 if you do it online, a lot more for a lawyer) + Annual state fees (in Michigan, it's 100 bucks)

In the long run, you can def gain more than you spend if you do it right..... I'd read all the info you can about forming an llc before you decide to commit to one.....
Old 08-03-2007 | 07:03 PM

I'm not looking for that. I'm in Michigan. He's in Kalifornia.
Old 08-03-2007 | 07:07 PM

Well, you asked, I thought you wanted it. The fees are on the internet, it's probably more like $175 per year
Old 08-03-2007 | 07:27 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

about the cali fees i havent called them yet but i prolly will next week sometime...
Old 08-06-2007 | 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fatty Matty
No inspections or smog testing in Michigan. Kind of nice, but some people drive some real trash that probably shouldn't be on the road.
Aint that the truth
Old 08-21-2007 | 07:08 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

was wondering how wopuld the car run without the turbo, with the turbo ecu and injectors installled?
Old 08-27-2007 | 04:47 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

cali +1 big e +0

damnit now just look at what they made me do.....

summma mab!tches

Old 08-27-2007 | 08:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oh wow, dont tell me you did! I would have to agree with everyone when they say you wouldve gained quite a bit when paying the fees. You could even write off your gas Im sure. Just check out the benefits.
Old 08-28-2007 | 09:48 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

i had to,, all these punk a$$ b!tches wont smog my car because its modified thay all scared, think im a cop most places i went to 2 and 3 times and they all like no,no, no so tryina gimme some stupid excuse like all vgs arent the same, its really pissing me off, a vg30(E) is a vg30(E) is a vg30(E) wether you get it out of a 200sx, a 300zx, or a maxima, quest is kinda diff cuz of the non intergerence tho, i realy don tsee what the problem is all of the cars that i meantioned are all street legal, but i cant swap an engine, man old a$$ chevelles and impallas swap mptors all the time and dont even get me started on hondas, im just like bump it im only going to the ref for now on, ppl cant even get that bang vaccum book out and look its all there hooked up right, so what if it gots some stainless steel hoses tey work as good or even better, lazy ***** tryna make a quick buck without work, all they do is sit in the dag blasted car with a remote and pish the pedal $ching Ching$ thares 48.50 cuz i held your pedal and pushed 2 buttons on the remote, Dang. most common response " we dont wanna risk it theres a 15,000 fee if we get busted" well if you do your job and check the hoses like your supposd to with that dag blasted book....oh and hold up one told me that the boks arent even right mostof the time, (then what in the heck do they give them to you for i kno that cali is dumb but dang) awwwh man i m all pissed 12 shops later im giving up, so if you live in chula vista, lemon Grove, College area, or El cajon Blvd area and your car is modded even with a cone filter, (they say that you gotta have a barcode that goes with it, and i know that every honda and focus dont have a dag blasted barcode on their filter because they got it from autozone or ebay) your car is modified and they might make you go to the reffere but maybe not if your a honda or have a focus, with rims and a fart can. I HATE CALI FOR THIS, BUT LET ME MAKE MY SELF CLEAR......I WILL BEAT THE SYSTEM AND A TURBO MAX WILL...WILL...EXIST IN CALIFORNIA ONE WAY OR THE OTHER!!!!!

HAHA byiotches catch me now
Old 09-01-2007 | 02:06 PM

Looks mean man.
Old 09-02-2007 | 01:22 PM
I love lamp.

How about you revert to stock, pass smog, then go turbo...

We can teach an old dog tricks.
Old 09-03-2007 | 11:02 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

thats what imma do, but its hard to find a front pipe thats not cracked, but anyways i got one for cheap(cracked) and imma gonna jb weld that byiotch and take the test, but as of now i just went dack to the dmv and got an extension for 3 months so that means that 2 of those months imma be boostin, hahaha they cant stop me!!.......*****!
Old 09-03-2007 | 06:17 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

i would fen leve that Cali spec bull **** ,

move to NC man
Old 09-04-2007 | 06:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

on the books not being right...

A few years back I bought an 82 Jag XJ6 and had to have it smogged...first thing the smog tech said was "Where is your smog pump?" There wasnt one and his visual checklist said there should have been...

Now he could have easily said...go get one put on and come back, but he went and looked in a Tech book that was from like 10 years ago and in THAT book it stated that the VIN on my Jag DID NOT require a smog pump...so he ran it, she passed with flying colors, and he sent me on my way....

But he WROTE DIRECTLY ON the score sheet which book he looked in, what page it was on, and what it said...he then told me, "Most techs are lazy and they wouldn't have looked that up for you...keep this paper and in the future if anyone tries to give you ish, tell them to look it up in this book..."

Old 09-04-2007 | 07:34 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

Originally Posted by Sam o nela
on the books not being right...

A few years back I bought an 82 Jag XJ6 and had to have it smogged...first thing the smog tech said was "Where is your smog pump?" There wasnt one and his visual checklist said there should have been...

Now he could have easily said...go get one put on and come back, but he went and looked in a Tech book that was from like 10 years ago and in THAT book it stated that the VIN on my Jag DID NOT require a smog pump...so he ran it, she passed with flying colors, and he sent me on my way....

But he WROTE DIRECTLY ON the score sheet which book he looked in, what page it was on, and what it said...he then told me, "Most techs are lazy and they wouldn't have looked that up for you...keep this paper and in the future if anyone tries to give you ish, tell them to look it up in this book..."

yep they are verry lazy.
Old 09-04-2007 | 07:40 PM

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that.
Old 09-15-2007 | 05:54 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

ok here we go..

called CARB California Air Resource Board
and they told me that i needed to have 4 things for it to be considdered an "Engine Change"

1. car must be registered in the state of california (the donor)

2. must be of the same model year or later (max=87 motor(the block) 93)

3. has to be a passenger carrier to passenger carrier / turck to truck (300zx 2+2 to maxima)

4. all origonal smog equipment must be intact

then i called the BAR Breau of Automotive Repair and spoke to marvin (was a awsome help) basically told me what CARB told me and that the swap was legal go back to the ref and tell him what he told me, get my sticker and be on my merry way

just gotta make me a new appt with the ref

that means that sr20 swaps are legal in 240s

vq35 are legal in sentras and vh45de are legal in 240s

man cali aintthat bad after all
Old 09-16-2007 | 12:13 AM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
that means that sr20 swaps are legal in 240s

vq35 are legal in sentras and vh45de are legal in 240s

man cali aintthat bad after all

SR20DET's are not legal in 240's. Unless your talking about taking a FWD SR20DE but thats not possible with out a lot of work. The reason is SR-T's don't exist here so they don't have nearly as much smog parts as american engines.

The main thing about engines swaps in cali is they have to be sold in the us, AKA the engine has to be here with all emission parts, and be newer then the car its swapped into and done right.

The point is taking all the pollution controls with the engine into what ever its swapped into.

Basically you should be able to put all the 300zx stuff on your car and call it an engine swap, yet leave the engine in the maxima to retain the 9:1 comp, and tell them its the 300zx engine.

~Alex
Old 09-16-2007 | 12:35 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

Originally Posted by Alex_V
SR20DET's are not legal in 240's. Unless your talking about taking a FWD SR20DE but thats not possible with out a lot of work. The reason is SR-T's don't exist here so they don't have nearly as much smog parts as american engines.

The main thing about engines swaps in cali is they have to be sold in the us, AKA the engine has to be here with all emission parts, and be newer then the car its swapped into and done right.

The point is taking all the pollution controls with the engine into what ever its swapped into.

Basically you should be able to put all the 300zx stuff on your car and call it an engine swap, yet leave the engine in the maxima to retain the 9:1 comp, and tell them its the 300zx engine.

~Alex
i said sr20 as in the sr20 in the G20 didnt mean sr20det but it is allways an option to slap on the turbo stuff on the hi comp engine

and i did do the maxima with 300zx stuf swap 9:1 comp turbo
had to boost up fuel to 45 psi tho and retartd timing 3 degs so im at 12 now