1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

New member here with an 87 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009 | 06:42 PM

New member here with an 87 Maxima

hi guys

i recently purchased a 1987 nissan maxima from a 70yr old lady. the car has 68,000km or 42,000miles. All original! I also recieved all the paper work from day one. Every oil change and krown rust proofing. It was always dealer maintained.

I just ordered Moog balljoints, moog tie rods, moog camber kit, kybgr2 struts, intrax 1.8" lowering springs and H&R wheel spacers.

I am currently looking for 04-06 nissan spec v rims before i go and buy the 300zx calipers.

After reading on the forum i am somewhat inspired to turbocharged my maxima. It seems that my best bet is to buy a whole 300z for a swap. I sold my lexus sc400 so i could put money into my maxima

Here are some photos of my other project car. Its a 2005 AWD Toyota Echo currently making 503hp but hopefully it will have more

http://www.ooladesign.com/Project_Sl...stage2/update/

I do have a few questions though since you guys are the experts on these cars but i do hope to learn fast...

Is the digital gauge cluster a direct swap into my car?
Does anyone have a factory tape deck that works... mine is great just the LCD has a small black spot in it.

Thanks Guys
Old 07-27-2009 | 05:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi,

It's my first post here, and I don't have my maxima anymore. I registered while I still had it, and got an answer to most of my questions browsing the forums. Did not have time to ask questions because of the 15 posts thing.

I had to get rid of my '87 Maxima 1 year ago because there was too much rust on the bottom and the car was getting dangerous. I had a new radiator, O2 sensor and exhaust line and had planned to replace them. I went to my local garage to have the gas tank replaced, before I started to cut the old exhaust since the tank could have exploded with the sparks, and they told me I should not put any more money in that car, the rear calipers were seized, the brakes lines so rusted that they would break just trying to move them, the frame was simply completely gone at some places, etc... So I got rid of it, and could not return the parts I bought on the net. I will be able to use the exhaust line on my new car with some cutting/welding, but I'm left with a new radiator and O2 sensor.

I've been looking here from time to time to see if I could find a potential buyer, and it look like you could possibly be interested since you are in Canada and your car seems to be in good enough condition to last a couple years. I can send you pictures if you are interested. I also have 3 service manuals (FSM, Haynes, Chilton) available if you are interested. Just let me know if you want more infos/pictures.

I was in Ottawa for Canada day, and could have delivered in person, but will probably wont go back in Ottawa before next year. I'm from Quebec city.

I'm sure you will love that car. Your lucky to have found one in such a good condition. I got mine for 2 years, and I loved that car much more that I tought I would at first. 1 year later, I still miss it. The engine was still working like new (191 000 km). It really was a quality car. There was not Infiniti back then, and that maxima used better quality parts than later ones since it was the top of the line. The paint job on mine was incredible, after 20years, it still looked better than most new cars...

When I sent it to the junk yard, I kept the whole stereo, but I think I threw it in the trash a couple months ago thinking I would never find someone interested. I will verify just in case.
Old 07-28-2009 | 03:27 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

well as for the digital, i have a few here and youll have to change the cluster harness.

good luck with the car.
Old 07-28-2009 | 05:54 AM

I would love to get the manuals from you! Let me know what you want for them shipped to Ottawa.

As far as the digital gauge cluster.... You would happen to have the cluster harness also!
Old 07-29-2009 | 12:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry for the delay, I wanted to take pictures of everything.

I don't know exactly for the manuals, maybe 50$ CAN shipping included for all 3? I think it's great to have more than one since they don't cover it exactly the same. The FSM is great, but sometimes, an actual picture is clearer than a little drawing.

If you want the whole thing, I could sell everything to you for a lot cheaper that I paid since I'm just trying get some money back. I could sell you the radiator + O2 sensor + 3 manuals for 175$ CAN shipping included, wich would be a very good deal. At canadian tire, if I remember correctly, they wanted over 300$ + tax for the radiator, and I think carquest was even worst! These radiators are all metal, not plastic.

The O2 sensor is made by NTK, and is the direct fit one, with the OEM connector.

On my car, the O2 sensor had not yet triggered a check engine light, but I was having a surge on acceleration, somewhere between 2500 and 3500 RPM, most noticieable at about half throttle, going up a hill, once the engine was in closed loop. I disconnected the O2 sensor and there was no more surging. After a bit or reading, it looks like O2 sensors can get old and have bad performance without triggering an error code.

For the radiator, mine was not leaking, but the engine was operating a little on the warm side, with the gauge slightly above half, and the cooling fans operating more often than normal. I looked at the radiator, wich looked good, but when touching the cooling fins, at some place they were disintegrating into dust. So the radiator was not leaking, but the heat exchange capability was greatly reduced du to corrosion of the cooling fins. I bought this radiator since I really did not like the idea of getting stuck in traffic with an overheating car.

Both radiator and O2 sensor were never installed, since I had to get rid of the car just at the moment I was going to replace them (and other parts).

I took some pictures, the lighting is not optimal, and I had a hard time picturing the radiator, my camera has difficulty with the fins, particularly with the flash on. The white things are packaging styrofoam. Let me know if you would like more pictures.

I think it would be a great occasion for you to refresh you car on the cheap, but of course, it's your choice. Let me know if you want more informations or pictures.

Old 07-29-2009 | 12:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here are the pictures of the Oxygen sensor. There is a limit of 5 pictures per post.

Old 07-29-2009 | 12:03 PM

Props to the 87!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2009 | 01:35 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

great deal man id do it!
Old 07-29-2009 | 04:56 PM

Sounds like a deal... I can go pick them up from you also to save the hassle of shipping.

Let me know when you are. I can come pretty much any time.

Big_E - do you happen to have the digital cluster with a harness?
Old 07-29-2009 | 05:15 PM

pics of the car??
Old 07-29-2009 | 09:04 PM

How do i add photos? i guess i have to use photobucket or something? there is no built in photo serving on this forum?
Old 07-30-2009 | 07:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great. I can be home pretty much anytime for the next 3 weeks, so you can come anytime you want. I will send an email to the adress in your profile with my contact informations and adress.
Old 07-30-2009 | 07:18 AM

Sounds great. i can maybe come out there today...
Old 07-30-2009 | 07:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just noticed the private messages, usually there is a popup on most forums so here it's probably not the default option. Anyway, I just saw them and saw that you would like to come today or tomorrow. I'll be there anytime. I'ts quite a drive from Ottawa, Quebec is about a 2h-2h30 drive East from Montreal depending on the speed. (About 250 Km)