1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Idle stutter / low idle when warming up

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Idle stutter / low idle when warming up

Hi Again

I have an 87 maxima wagon, Automatic with 72k miles.

Im looking for advice on an idle stutter and items to start checking.

So when it is warmer outside 50 degrees ish and up and I start the car, the car drives great until the temp gauge gets to the "C" mark (the needle starts a bit below the "C"). Between "C" and a 1/4 of the way up the gauge, when I come to stop light or sign, the idle drops down to about 500 rpms and stutters and feels like it could potentially stall. It never has stalled though. As soon as it Gets to the 1/4 mark, it Idles normal.
I have noticed if I turn something on that draws power, like the headlights or A/C it does not stutter and idles ok.

If it is cold out and the car is cold it will idle fine even when the gauge hits those marks. Additionally if the car has been driven and already warmed up, it idles fine. I only notice it if it is warm out and it is the first time I drive the car after a few hours.

It it hard to describe so I am not sure if I am making sense. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Things I have tried: replaced air filter, oil change, changed pcv valve.
I have also take it to a mechanic. They seemed to think maybe it was do to engine sludge but I dont really believe that.

Thanks