1st-3rd Generations Classifieds (1981-1994) No superchargers in here, but you will find other useful parts and accessories.

WTB: Full VE-5 Swap for VG Auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

WTB: Full VE-5 Swap for VG Auto

Hi Ya'll,

I'm finally looking to take the plunge and convert the ol' auto VG ('89 GXE) to the 5spd with the LSD! Of course there are some VE5spd trannies on here for sale, some not so close and some not so great (as in shape). I have a lead to a donor car in Maine with 89k miles and all the swap parts. The guy wants to sell everything shipped to me in FL for $1500. I assume that is pretty steep as .org pricing goes, but I want all of your opinions. Should I go for it?

Otherwise, if someone has something more reasonable in good shape, and preferably with all the swap parts needed, please let me know. Thanks.

-Mrkanda or "Mark"- for those who can't pronounce the First name.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:29 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Originally Posted by mrkanda
Hi Ya'll,

I'm finally looking to take the plunge and convert the ol' auto VG ('89 GXE) to the 5spd with the LSD! Of course there are some VE5spd trannies on here for sale, some not so close and some not so great (as in shape). I have a lead to a donor car in Maine with 89k miles and all the swap parts. The guy wants to sell everything shipped to me in FL for $1500. I assume that is pretty steep as .org pricing goes, but I want all of your opinions. Should I go for it?

Otherwise, if someone has something more reasonable in good shape, and preferably with all the swap parts needed, please let me know. Thanks.

-Mrkanda or "Mark"- for those who can't pronounce the First name.

Well...the car listed in my signature is availble. It has 212K. Currently, it won't start, but will run when push started, but has some sort of idling issue. However, the tranny is in good shape, and I have owned it since 2002 (90K), and have babied it, and got virutally every bolt on mod availible...many of which you can use on your VG if you don't already have them.

I'll offer the same for my car.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I think the parts from Main may be overpriced. I just recently had a transmission shipped. Alone, the tranny was $75 via DHL. You start adding hubs and axles, you are talking truck freight there, which I would not be suprised to be around $400+. Assuming then, that the parts are $1k- 1,100. Seems steap unless all the hubs are new or recently replaced AND the tranny has been recently rebuilt. That being the case, these parts might be worth that much. If not, my opinion is no.

As far as the car from Texas, sounds pretty decent for full car and being able to pull everything you need from it. If you're missing a bolt, you know right where to look. Additionally, you've got a visual timplate to go from. If any of the mods interest you, that definately sweetens the deal. I know I've driven out of state with a car dolly to pick up whole parts cars. I suggest get pictures of the Houston car: interior, exterior, engine bay. If all looks together, then that is the option I'd pursue.

Keep in mind, opinions are like a$$ holes, everybody has one. This is just mine.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:25 PM

The one in TX sounds pretty good. I would get it if I wasn't in NY to use parts for my VG.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I can do it for $1126.98 shipped
Old 06-25-2008, 08:03 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg

As far as the car from Texas, sounds pretty decent for full car and being able to pull everything you need from it. If you're missing a bolt, you know right where to look. Additionally, you've got a visual timplate to go from. If any of the mods interest you, that definately sweetens the deal. I know I've driven out of state with a car dolly to pick up whole parts cars. I suggest get pictures of the Houston car: interior, exterior, engine bay. If all looks together, then that is the option I'd pursue.

Keep in mind, opinions are like a$$ holes, everybody has one. This is just mine.
More sales pitch....

The exterior is good for a 15 year old car. The car was painted 5 years ago. Some scratches, no major dents. I have an aftermarket spoiler on it from wings west I believe, but the LED on the brake light is broken (factory 3rd brake light still intact and working) The 17" AE Wheels from my 2001 are on it. 2 of the tires are worn, but 2 are about 80% tread.

The interior has pretty much had it though. It is tan leather. The driver seat is okay, because I had it re-covered with a matching tan vinyl that has held up much better than the leather. The passenger seat has some tears, the rear seat bench (the lower portion) is in good shape, but the upper section has cracks.

The engine bay is dirty, but I have replaced most major components, some more than once.

I just replaced the clutch about 25,000 miles ago, and when I did that, I replaced both axles, ball joints, tie rod ends.

I'll throw in my AutoZone "phone number" for warranties. I have lifetime warranties on many components including:

Both Axles, tie rod ends, alternator, starter, water pump (brand new)

I've got a handful of other factory (new) parts for this car that I never used, valve cover gaskets, axle seals, a set of brake calipers.....

If you're serious, I'll take some pictures.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 PM

Heck I'd almost sell my ve5 parts off my car for 1,000. And the tranny is rebuild 2k miles ago.

Last edited by goon9; 07-02-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by goon9
Heck I'd almost sell my ve5 parts off my car for 1,000. And the tranny is rebuild 2k miles ago.
That's probably just because without a running engine, the tranny parts won't do much good How's the engine bay comin'?

But, seriously, I am moving from our rental to a new house in a gated community with no garage or carport!! Which means, no working on the Max for a while, unless its somewhere else (or in the middle of the night . Reason we're moving is because my Wife's father is giving us the house. Can't argue with that!

Anyway, maybe if I get the parts I can store them in the shed in the back until I can install it. As for a parts car, I already have a VE parts car but it's automatic. So, I'll have to get rid of that soon. I wish I could just get the VE5 from TX, but don't currently have the dough. If you still have it in a month or so let me know. I started a new business that is starting to take off, so I really would like to get my Max all fixed up ASAP and would love all the mods plus the VE5 swap from that car. I'll have to look at what it would cost to get it here though. Driving to get it and coming back are probably just as expensive if not more than having it shipped, especially now. I'll keep you posted.

-Mrkanda

P.S. Just had a thought- If I could get all the tranny swap parts plus all the mods shipped to me for $1500 that sounds like a good deal that we could work out. Otherwise, transporting the car on top of that seems too expensive. Plus, you could probably part out the rest of the car and get more money for it that way.

Last edited by mrkanda; 07-02-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I can has?

Hmm, I got my entire parts car (4 Brembo rotors, hawk hps pads, asp underdrive pulley, 5-spd/all parts, ACT PP, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, black leather interior in good condition, among other things normal cars come with) for $340 towed back to my house two hours away. Granted the car was wrecked, but all of the parts were good aside from the front body/ some components. Hell, one of my neighbors even took the engine out and put it in his 93 VE A/T with a cracked head and now it's running around. For the price, there are better things to be had, it may be a good idea to wait until a better deal pops up... But in the meantime, you may be interested in this:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/car/685595293.html

Good idea, yes!? Hah, good luck with the swap.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
Hmm, I got my entire parts car (4 Brembo rotors, hawk hps pads, asp underdrive pulley, 5-spd/all parts, ACT PP, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, black leather interior in good condition, among other things normal cars come with) for $340 towed back to my house two hours away. Granted the car was wrecked, but all of the parts were good aside from the front body/ some components. Hell, one of my neighbors even took the engine out and put it in his 93 VE A/T with a cracked head and now it's running around. For the price, there are better things to be had, it may be a good idea to wait until a better deal pops up... But in the meantime, you may be interested in this:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/car/685595293.html

Good idea, yes!? Hah, good luck with the swap.
Thanks Pearl! I was actually looking at the car that you ended up getting, but was too indecisive and you ended up nabbing it! So, I will keep a look out locally. Really, I just need to focus on getting the cash flow in my new business moving so that I have some options. Then I can actually move on something instead of just dreaming and planning to the Nth degree. BTW, we should get together sometime in St. Augustine when I bring my family up there later this summer. I let you know when we're coming up.

-Mrkanda
Old 07-03-2008, 09:26 AM
To them I'm like an idol

-Mrkanda

P.S. Just had a thought- If I could get all the tranny swap parts plus all the mods shipped to me for $1500 that sounds like a good deal that we could work out. Otherwise, transporting the car on top of that seems too expensive. Plus, you could probably part out the rest of the car and get more money for it that way.
Make me a list of what you'd want from the car, and I'll make a better deal for you than that. In total, I'm trying to get $1000~$1200 total for it.

I can try to sell the CAI, the Y-pipe, (since they won't fit the VG) and the 2K1 AE Wheels (unless you want them)....I can try to get people to give me their stock parts plus cash...I'll put the stock parts back on the car, and whatever money I make off that (hopefully about $400)....I'll take off the car price and sell to you for the balance of what I'm looking for.

Else, you can have the whole car now for $1000 and find your own shipping.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:41 PM

Hey Black,

Send me some pics of that car, inside and out plus the engine... My white 93 SE auto parts car is running well, but the body is crap. Maybe I'll get your car and swap the engine into that to have a true VE5. That way I can keep the VG auto for the wife

But seriously, I would like to see some pics and know more about the body. If the price is right and condition are right I might be able to do this in a few weeks. Let me know. Thanks.

-Mrkanda
Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
Hmm, I got my entire parts car (4 Brembo rotors, hawk hps pads, asp underdrive pulley, 5-spd/all parts, ACT PP, Exedy Stage 1 clutch, black leather interior in good condition, among other things normal cars come with) for $340 towed back to my house two hours away. Granted the car was wrecked, but all of the parts were good aside from the front body/ some components. Hell, one of my neighbors even took the engine out and put it in his 93 VE A/T with a cracked head and now it's running around.
Damn, good deal.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:35 PM
I can has?

Thanks Pearl! I was actually looking at the car that you ended up getting, but was too indecisive and you ended up nabbing it! So, I will keep a look out locally. Really, I just need to focus on getting the cash flow in my new business moving so that I have some options. Then I can actually move on something instead of just dreaming and planning to the Nth degree. BTW, we should get together sometime in St. Augustine when I bring my family up there later this summer. I let you know when we're coming up.

-Mrkanda
Yeah, I remember you were the only other one in the thread interested at the time. I figured I had to act quick. Yeah, let me know when you're coming up.

Originally Posted by Hectic
Damn, good deal.
Yeah, I thought so too... And the guy who I bought it from was nice; a true enthusiast. Gave me a huge receipt folder for a ****load of new parts he had warrantied at NAPA, so that was a plus too. I ended up making nearly $1200 over the time I had it too. And it turns out one of my neighbors down the road just bought a 1993 SE at an auction and noticed I always had 2 to 4 third gens sitting in my yard and bought my parts car off me for $100 and put the engine in his car, I got his engine with 98k miles with a cracked head (but it still ran) and the VTC's were COMPLETELY quiet so I'm planning on swapping those over to my VE. He somehow managed to do the whole engine swap in his driveway with a cherry picker in around a day. So now I have a helper with the 5-spd swap if I need it

Parts car's are like nothing but goodness.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:50 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Hey Black,

Send me some pics of that car, inside and out plus the engine... My white 93 SE auto parts car is running well, but the body is crap. Maybe I'll get your car and swap the engine into that to have a true VE5. That way I can keep the VG auto for the wife

But seriously, I would like to see some pics and know more about the body. If the price is right and condition are right I might be able to do this in a few weeks. Let me know. Thanks.

-Mrkanda

Sure, I'll take a few tonight. Besides some scratches on the back bumper from push starting it, the body is in very good shape.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:21 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Hey Black,

-Mrkanda

Okay, I took some pics last night, and I'll take a few more today. You got an email?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:29 PM

PM Sent. Let's see 'em
Old 08-05-2008, 03:37 PM

im lookin for a ve5 for my vg. nothing is wrong with my 5speed, i just want the vlsd. anyone know where i can nab one cheap? and cheap i mean under a grand shipped for a excellent cond tranny
Old 08-11-2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by SHIFT_maxboost
im lookin for a ve5 for my vg. nothing is wrong with my 5speed, i just want the vlsd. anyone know where i can nab one cheap? and cheap i mean under a grand shipped for a excellent cond tranny
But remember you need axles, hubs/spindles too.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:28 PM

well what all do i need, i thought just tranny and axles