3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Downshifting...to do or not to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 01:05 AM

I have talked to some mechanics and he doesn't recommend downshifting because it puts wear and tear on the engine. Is this true? Any downshifters in here? I'm always on neutral when I'm coming to a stop or slowing down.

89' max
Old 12-10-2000, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by kingocat

I have talked to some mechanics and he doesn't recommend downshifting because it puts wear and tear on the engine. Is this true? Any downshifters in here? I'm always on neutral when I'm coming to a stop or slowing down.

89' max
As long as you down shift correctly, its ok. My suggestion try not too, but its not that bad either. I do it sometimes when im bored, or need to stop quick, but other then that. just brake on the gear you are in, once you come to like 5 mph put it in neutral. But downshifting does put alot of pressure on the engine, so just take it easy.
Old 12-10-2000, 07:26 AM

Down shifting an auto, while moving, is tough on the tranny, because, unlike a manual, the car doesn't syn the engine speed to the lower gear. This jolts the tranny on the down shift. You can blip the throttle, as the tranny is shifting, to help a bit, but it isn't any thing to make a habit of.
Whenever I come to a stop at a light I put the car in neutral. Holding the car in gear with the brake means the torque converter is slipping (that's OK), but it causes the tranny to bulid up heat (which isn't good).
Old 12-28-2000, 06:33 PM

hmm...I seem to downshift in the winter a lot in my '91 Corolla. If I brake, the car usually slips to the side but downshifting doesn't cause the car to slip but it does slow it down enough.