3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

attempting first brake job this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 11:30 AM

attempting first brake job this weekend...

I paid over 150 to have some powerstop x-drilled rotors and ebc pads installed earlier in the year and there has been so much damn vibration and pulsing since I am about to go crazy I figure it's time to start doing my own brakes. I am going to put my stock rotors back on to see if the vibration/pulsing stops. I just hope my EBCs are still in good shape. I could've bought a set of Brembo blanks and had them cryo treated for what I paid for these cheap a s s powerstops

This is my first brake job, so I hope everything goes smoothly. If I have enough time I may end up painting my calipers and drums too.

I'm pretty sure I have everything I need to do the job, but I'm open for any suggestions/tips or whatever for replacing rotors and maybe pads.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:44 AM

Re: attempting first brake job this weekend...

Originally posted by Clayton94GXE
I paid over 150 to have some powerstop x-drilled rotors and ebc pads installed earlier in the year and there has been so much damn vibration and pulsing since I am about to go crazy This weekend, I am going to put my stock rotors back on to see if the vibration/pulsing stops. I just hope my EBCs are still in good shape. I keep thinking how I could've bought a set of Brembo blanks and had them cryo treated for what I paid for these cheap a s s powerstops

This is my first brake job, so I hope everything goes smoothly, and if I have enough time I may end up painting my calipers and drums too. I'm pretty sure I have everything I need to do the job, but I'm open for any suggestions/tips or whatever for replacing rotors and possibly pads.

-Clayton
I'll be doing my brakes this weekend as well. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:48 AM

Re: Re: attempting first brake job this weekend...

Originally posted by pezking4

I'll be doing my brakes this weekend as well. Good luck.
About time Brake jobs are as easy as changing your oil
Old 07-30-2002, 12:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: attempting first brake job this weekend...

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
I get my oil changed for free.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:59 PM

Your first mistake was going with cross drilled rotors in the first place, IMHO. They look nice but I know a bunch of people who ditched them 'cause of vibration, not to mention the fact that they can crack easier.

Good luck with the change.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just make sure u have lots o spare time...for me painting the things took forever cause i grinded off the rust 1st, etc...also make sure u have the right tools for your caliper pistons (which i'm sure u already have and i'm just wasting my breath ) like the half moon thingy and the other tool for the rear cause its diff....oh wait, ve 4 disk powah!
Old 07-30-2002, 03:23 PM

what do you mean "about time"? Or was that directed at someone else
Old 07-30-2002, 04:30 PM

lets not get cocky now
Old 07-30-2002, 08:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: attempting first brake job this weekend...

Originally posted by mykizism

lets not get cocky now
I can do brakes with a blind fold on
Old 07-30-2002, 09:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: attempting first brake job this weekend...

I can do brakes with a blind fold on
Well... I can do brakes with sunglasses on.... in the dark!

One helpful hint, if you have a Dremel, get a wire wheel attachment and grind away any rust that has built up on the hubs (where the rotors mount on). Any surface that's not perfectly flat here will cause a vibration, and even a tiny bit of surface rust will do that!
Old 07-31-2002, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by John in Philly
Your first mistake was going with cross drilled rotors in the first place, IMHO. They look nice but I know a bunch of people who ditched them 'cause of vibration, not to mention the fact that they can crack easier.

Good luck with the change.
I know, I bought them because I thought they would look much better with my wheels, and they were decently priced, but I didn't know anything else about them. Had I found the org a little sooner I never would have bought them int he first place.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: attempting first brake job this weekend...

Originally posted by RosenKen

Well... I can do brakes with sunglasses on.... in the dark!

One helpful hint, if you have a Dremel, get a wire wheel attachment and grind away any rust that has built up on the hubs (where the rotors mount on). Any surface that's not perfectly flat here will cause a vibration, and even a tiny bit of surface rust will do that!
The dremel is one of the best tools ever made IMO. I was going to get some sort of wire brush or attachment to clean up my drums and calipers.

Has anyone ever used any kind of Rust Treatment spray? I was at Trak Auto yesterday and saw a couple cans of spray on rust treatment. Supposedly you spray a couple coats of this stuff on and it makes rust turn black, the can said "turn your rust into primer" or something like that.

Originally posted by Maximajism94se

like the half moon thingy
I hope you mean the C-clamps, because I can't think of any other half moon shape tools.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:34 AM

I've used it when I was doing some work on a beater Camry I used to have. It was ok for superficial surface rust but I would go with the dremel on the calipers, you'll probably get a better bond with the paint that way.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: attempting first brake job this weekend...

Originally posted by Clayton94GXE
I hope you mean the C-clamps, because I can't think of any other half moon shape tools.
i'm stoopid so i'm not sure what the tool is called, but its used to push in the piston on the front caliper...it has a screw thing attached to a metal piece shaped like a brake pad...ive tried using a couple spray-type products for getting off rust, but they all sucked...after many trial and error solutions to ridding of the rust, i found that nothing compared to a drill w/ a wire brush attachment...
Old 07-31-2002, 06:42 PM

I recently moved to Manhattan, NYC....from Pennsylvania.

Does anyone know of a place where I could bring my car and work on it without getting a ticket from the police. I live in an apartment building and working on the streets is a no-no. All I need is nice clean flat ground surface.

I miss my driveway!
Old 08-01-2002, 12:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: attempting first brake job this weekend...

Originally posted by Maximajism94se

i'm stoopid so i'm not sure what the tool is called, but its used to push in the piston on the front caliper...it has a screw thing attached to a metal piece shaped like a brake pad...ive tried using a couple spray-type products for getting off rust, but they all sucked...after many trial and error solutions to ridding of the rust, i found that nothing compared to a drill w/ a wire brush attachment...
yep - it's a c-clamp you're talking about
Old 08-03-2002, 12:38 PM

I finished everything up a little while ago. Stock rotors and akebono pads are back on.

Everything went pretty smooth except I bent the **** out of a center ring and couldn't get it to fit back in.

What a difference. I will never get cross drilled rotors again. I couldn't believe how worn the EBCs were (must've been the x-drilled rotors)

Anyway - back to nice smooth brakes without vibration!
Old 08-03-2002, 09:06 PM

rotor vibration

has any one else had this problem with cross drilled rotors from powerstop? if so i am going to have to cancel my order. i don't feel like dealing with vibrating brakes at all.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:22 PM

Re: rotor vibration

Originally posted by avusblue92se
has any one else had this problem with cross drilled rotors from powerstop? if so i am going to have to cancel my order. i don't feel like dealing with vibrating brakes at all.
I haven't used them but just the other day I was reading some archives and a lot of people were saying stay away from these. I think matt was telling someone not to confuse Powerslot with Powerstop because the Powerstop rotors are not high quality.