3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Maxima 1992

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002 | 07:36 PM
kar
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima 1992

QUESTION ON BUILT-IN ALARM SYSTEM

Hello:

I bought an used NISSAM MAXIMA 1992 recently. My car was parked in a
parking lot with a flat tire. After 4 hours or so, a security alarm
started sounding and lighting. There is no extra alarm system
installed on my car, which is operated by a remote control. I checked the manual and found that there is a built-in alarm system, which may get activated if anyone tries to open the door 24 times or more using the combination lock. There was no kid/suspicious person who might have tried to open the door. The alarm started on
its own, it stopped after half an hour for few minutes, then again started again, and then stopped after a while. So, I had a hard time to rush back from my office to my home (parking lot) to take care of this problem.

My questions are:
Is there any specific reason for the above happening?
How is the alarm system supposed to work?
How can I activate/deactivate it?

I do appreciate if you could give me some helpful information on the
alarm system.

Thanks a lot!
Old 08-08-2002 | 09:27 PM

I don't remember exactly what triggers the alarm, but I am pretty sure that it is in your owners manual. If you don't have one, email me and I'll look in mine for you.
Old 08-09-2002 | 12:35 AM

Here's how the stock alarm sposed to work:

It's activated by the door being unlocked/opened WITHOUT the key/keybad. Like if someone smashed a window and opened the lock by hand on the door, the alarm would sound.

To turn the alarm off, simply put the key in the door.

It's a nice little built-in alarm, but it is a problem when you try to put an aftermarket alarm on it.
Old 08-09-2002 | 07:37 AM

My 92 SE used to have this problem. And it was random. I traced it down to my driver side windows/door lock control panel. The PCB inside this module has a coating on the components and moisture was trapped inside thus causing a partial short circuit to the pins on the IC. The IC sens the voltage level to determine different states of the lock situation. Due to the moisture shorting some pins, it was mis-interpreted by the circuit as an intrustion and my alarm went off. This had happened more in rainly days.

My fix was to took the coating off and use a hair dryer to blow everything dry. I should have recoat it but I didn't.

WARNING: You may damage the electronic components when you scratch the coating off. This is a detail oriented job. Excessive heat from hair dryer may also damage components. Use this method at your own risk.
Old 08-09-2002 | 08:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by James12345
Here's how the stock alarm sposed to work:

It's activated by the door being unlocked/opened WITHOUT the key/keybad. Like if someone smashed a window and opened the lock by hand on the door, the alarm would sound.

To turn the alarm off, simply put the key in the door.

It's a nice little built-in alarm, but it is a problem when you try to put an aftermarket alarm on it.
why is it a problem to put an aftermarket alarm on the stock alarm??
Old 08-09-2002 | 11:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Terry28

why is it a problem to put an aftermarket alarm on the stock alarm??
The only problem that i have is that whenever someone locks my doors manually, when i go to get in my car using the keyless entry from my aftermarket alarm the stock alarm will sound when i open the door until i put the key in and turn it. It isn't hurting anything its just a pain in the @$$. Leaves me feelin like a lame when my damn alarm is goin off when i'm gettin in my own car.