3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Is this a good idea??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 08:56 AM

I've got a 1993 SE 5sp, leather interior. I snowbaord alot and my seats in the back to fold down. The armrest in the back, however, does. You can have easy access to the trunk from the armrest if you get rid of the cartbaord sheet covering the hole. I took a look from the trunk and in the trunk there is a metal bar that's kinda of in the way when you take the sheet off. I didn't want to remove it in case this was for frame support or something of that nature.

Looks easy to take off, a couple bolts and that's it. I'd like to be able to put my board in the trunk and slip it through the armrest.

Any thoughts??
Old 12-14-2000, 09:19 AM

just cut out the hole if you have subs it sounds really nice too. that is what i did. good luck with it.
Patrick
Old 12-14-2000, 09:24 AM

Id do that same thing too, but my box in the trunk would be in the way ;(

Originally posted by Kehops
I've got a 1993 SE 5sp, leather interior. I snowbaord alot and my seats in the back to fold down. The armrest in the back, however, does. You can have easy access to the trunk from the armrest if you get rid of the cartbaord sheet covering the hole. I took a look from the trunk and in the trunk there is a metal bar that's kinda of in the way when you take the sheet off. I didn't want to remove it in case this was for frame support or something of that nature.

Looks easy to take off, a couple bolts and that's it. I'd like to be able to put my board in the trunk and slip it through the armrest.

Any thoughts??
Old 12-14-2000, 09:32 AM

Did you read my post or not???

Originally posted by whitymax
just cut out the hole if you have subs it sounds really nice too. that is what i did. good luck with it.
Patrick
I'm not alking about subs at all. I'm talking about taking the whole sheet out and taking the metal bar out so that my snowbaord can fit

Old 12-14-2000, 09:34 AM
STFU n00b!

that piece of metal going across the back of the trunk is what holds the rear seat in place.. if you remove it, the first time someone hits you in the rear, any passengers in the rear seat will go through the back seat and into the trunk..
maybe not 100% into the trunk, but it's a good way to cause serious injury to any rear seat passengers. I don't recommend removing it.
Old 12-14-2000, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
that piece of metal going across the back of the trunk is what holds the rear seat in place.. if you remove it, the first time someone hits you in the rear, any passengers in the rear seat will go through the back seat and into the trunk..
maybe not 100% into the trunk, but it's a good way to cause serious injury to any rear seat passengers. I don't recommend removing it.
Ya that's what I thought, but it doesn't look that solid, that's why I was wondering if it really had an important purpose or not.

thanks Matt
Old 12-14-2000, 09:43 AM
STFU n00b!

yup.. steel cables don't look too solid either.. then you see them pick up a house.

well, the thing is it's not there to brace anything from moving, it's there to "strap it in".. just like your seat belt keeps you from flying forward, that metal keeps the seat from going backward.
and since the armrest in the center is bolted to it, it holds the center of the seat in place too.
I don't even have my seat bolted to id because I take it out so often.. but it's still there nevertheless.
Old 12-14-2000, 09:55 AM

I'm Sure the Insurance Company would love that one

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
Old 12-14-2000, 10:07 AM
STFU n00b!

actually, they probably would.. if they knew it was missing, they could claim that you modified the car to where it was unsafe to drive, thus THEY don't have to pay for it and you're sued instead of the insurance.. ouch.
Old 12-14-2000, 08:59 PM

Hmm...my Burton Custom 64 snowboard fits OK across the back seat. I just wrap a blanket around the board to protect my leather seats when I go up to Tahoe. I say leave it alone unless you like chopping up your car.

-Jeremy
Old 12-15-2000, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by jdonavich
Hmm...my Burton Custom 64 snowboard fits OK across the back seat. I just wrap a blanket around the board to protect my leather seats when I go up to Tahoe. I say leave it alone unless you like chopping up your car.

-Jeremy
HEH....Ya I had last year's Burton Custom 64, this year I got the Burton Frontier 170. It's a pretty big board. The thing is I usually go up with 3 or 4 friends of mine so I can't really put my board in the back.
Old 12-15-2000, 06:27 AM
hittin89gxe

had the same problem.

I took that bar out and made a new one using sheetmetal. just drill the holes in the same place and cut a hole where the hole between the seats is. its actually stronger this way. I also put a black rubber grommet around the inside of the hole that way you dont cut yourself if you have to reach back there(the only way i can adjust my amps )

Old 12-15-2000, 11:14 AM

Here's what you do...

First, buy my Pathfinder. Then, load up and board away. If it doesn't sell in the next few weeks, I'm gonna keep it and head up to Shasta for some time on the slopes.

http://www.classifieds2000.com/cgi-c...383+Q253918059

Pretty simple.

-Jacob