3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

That's not right

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 10:04 PM

That's not right

Alright here's the deal... My dad and I went to check out a maxima (93 SE 5spd) the other day and it SUCKED. I know you're probably thinkin wtf is he talkin about but lemme explain. Alright the first thing we checked out was under the hood. It had a V6 3000 engine in it that looked completely clean. When we checked the oil it looked brand new. Under the hood everything looked outstanding. Although it had 130k miles on it I was still quite entrigued. The exterior was slightly banged up, i.e. little paint chips, scratches, poor buffing, ding in the trunk and a cracked back light above the "Maxima" logo. Then when we went to test drive it... this is where things went south. The engine sounded good although it was more of a low hummmmm rather than others i have heard. When we get it off the lot, my dad is driving it. After we are out of sight from peering eyes, we TRY to pick up some speed but it goes in vain. He has it floored and there is no kick whatsoever. When it was my turn to test it out, I do the same thing, I punch it, w/ barely any response. I swear my GF's 87 Corolla went faster than this thing. It was trully a sad day for me. Anyways my question is this : Is this supposed to happen w/ all maxima's or did this one already have one foot in the scrap heep??? Thx in advance
Old 08-13-2002, 10:08 PM

Re: That's not right

Originally posted by xmercury11
Is this supposed to happen w/ all maxima's or did this one already have one foot in the scrap heep??? Thx in advance
I think from the title of your topic, you know the answer to this already!
Old 08-14-2002, 01:37 AM

Re: That's not right

Originally posted by xmercury11
Alright here's the deal... My dad and I went to check out a maxima (93 SE 5spd) the other day and it SUCKED. I know you're probably thinkin wtf is he talkin about but lemme explain. Alright the first thing we checked out was under the hood. It had a V6 3000 engine in it that looked completely clean. When we checked the oil it looked brand new. Under the hood everything looked outstanding. Although it had 130k miles on it I was still quite entrigued. The exterior was slightly banged up, i.e. little paint chips, scratches, poor buffing, ding in the trunk and a cracked back light above the "Maxima" logo. Then when we went to test drive it... this is where things went south. The engine sounded good although it was more of a low hummmmm rather than others i have heard. When we get it off the lot, my dad is driving it. After we are out of sight from peering eyes, we TRY to pick up some speed but it goes in vain. He has it floored and there is no kick whatsoever. When it was my turn to test it out, I do the same thing, I punch it, w/ barely any response. I swear my GF's 87 Corolla went faster than this thing. It was trully a sad day for me. Anyways my question is this : Is this supposed to happen w/ all maxima's or did this one already have one foot in the scrap heep??? Thx in advance

Yeah, it's gotta have one foot already in the scrap heep...

Unless, like, you guys were in fifth and tried flooring it from there and expected some kick or something.... lol
Old 08-14-2002, 04:22 AM

Could be any one or more of a lot of things (O2 sensor, MAF, fuel pressure, etc, etc). If the engine was that clean, they may have washed it down and crudded up the knock sensor also.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:32 AM

But basically when you're looking at used cars, if it ain't running well when you test-drive it, then stay away from it! It's not your job to diagnose & fix it, etc, it's not yours yet. Find one that runs well on test-drive, because even if you do, you'll likely to run into undiscovered problems after you bought it anyway! (At least that's usually the case with cars this old...)

Don't give up on 3rd gen Maxima though. Don't let one bad apple scares you. There are plenty of better ones out there, and it's one heck of a car for the price. A 87 Corolla does not hold the slightest candle to it. You'll pay a lot more for fuel though!