3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Brake lights not working!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 07:14 PM

Brake lights not working!

Ive been trying to track down a problem for over a week now and Im out of ideas. The problem is this, my brake lights dont work. Every time I put a fuse in as soon as I hit the brakes the fuse blows. Ive replaced the brake light switch and its not the problem. I did notice that the terminals in the light panels in the trunk look like they have some fried wires from a short or something. I mean the lead posts on the bottom of the bulbs were melted to the contacts. Is this a short and how do I fix it? Please help!!!
Old 08-25-2002, 10:41 AM

sounds like you need to get a new harness for the brake/turn signal light bulbs..... either that or try cleaning the socket with some sandpaper you might just have a coroded connection........but you definetly have a short somewhere
Old 08-25-2002, 10:51 AM

yup sounds like a short to me.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:11 AM

Re: Brake lights not working!

Originally posted by hoodank178
Ive been trying to track down a problem for over a week now and Im out of ideas. The problem is this, my brake lights dont work. Every time I put a fuse in as soon as I hit the brakes the fuse blows. Ive replaced the brake light switch and its not the problem. I did notice that the terminals in the light panels in the trunk look like they have some fried wires from a short or something. I mean the lead posts on the bottom of the bulbs were melted to the contacts. Is this a short and how do I fix it? Please help!!!

Do you check your fuse?
Old 08-28-2002, 08:49 AM

Re: Re: Brake lights not working!

Originally posted by f40gt222

Do you check your fuse?
Yes I checked everything.When the light switch is off the fuse is fine when I touch the brake pedal the fuse blows.Any fuse blows 25 amp is the biggest Ive got and it blew it easily.Can somebody please help.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Brake lights not working!

Originally posted by hoodank178

Yes I checked everything.When the light switch is off the fuse is fine when I touch the brake pedal the fuse blows.Any fuse blows 25 amp is the biggest Ive got and it blew it easily.Can somebody please help.
Unplug the harness going into each rear taillight assembly (open the trunk and you'll see a harness with 4 or so wires going into the side of the plastic piece that holds all 4 bulbs).
Push the brake pedal, if the fuse blows, the problem is somewhere before the taillight bulb holders which will may be more trouble to track down.
Hopefully the fuse didn't blow, now plug in one on the taillight assemblys. Press the brake pedal, if the fuse blows, the problem is in that assembly. If it didn't blow, try unplugging the first one and plugging in the second one. If it blows now, then that's the problem side.

I had something like this happen to me. On the side that I found was bad, I looked at the socket for one of the brake lights and saw some corrosion around one of the wires. I just taped around that wire with some electrical tape and that fixed my problem. If that doesn't work, you will probably need a new socket or maybe the whole taillight bulb holder thing.

Also, dont use fuses with higher ratings. Fuses are specifically rated a certain way so that they dont cause other problems like getting too much power to certain things and melting wires or something like that. I'm not saying this has happened, but it's a possibility.

Good luck