3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Please help me

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 05:26 AM

Please help me

yesterday I put a coverage for my tilting steering wheel when the engine is closed. At the beginning, the wheel can move a little bit even it is locked. Since the coverage is tight, I used more power. I found that the wheel moved about 60 degree comparing with the original position and it can not moved after I finished. I tried to ignite the car, however, I can not move the key. At the same time, the security alarm is on. Currently,
1) The wheel can not move;
2) I can not turn the ignition key.
3) when I open the door, the security alarm appears and it disappears after I closed the door.

What is the problem? can I just try to move the wheel to original position? thanks for your help, I am anxious.
My car is Nissan Maxima 1993.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:19 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Please help me

Originally posted by jqhao
yesterday I put a coverage for my tilting steering wheel when the engine is closed. At the beginning, the wheel can move a little bit even it is locked. Since the coverage is tight, I used more power. I found that the wheel moved about 60 degree comparing with the original position and it can not moved after I finished. I tried to ignite the car, however, I can not move the key. At the same time, the security alarm is on. Currently,
1) The wheel can not move;
2) I can not turn the ignition key.
3) when I open the door, the security alarm appears and it disappears after I closed the door.

What is the problem? can I just try to move the wheel to original position? thanks for your help, I am anxious.
My car is Nissan Maxima 1993.
these cars have a steering lock on them and if they are in a bind you cant turn the key. Take the wheel and turn the wheel just a little (more like just rocking it back and forth) and that will take the pressure off of the lock so you can turn the key and in turn release the wheel lock.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:51 AM

thanks for help!
following your advice, I have handled this problems.