3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Real Maxima owner/mechanics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 10:03 PM

Real Maxima owner/mechanics?

Is anybody on the .org an actual mechanic, or at least actually do their own repairs/upgrades on their own Maximas?? (not just brakes, change oil or plugs.)
Old 09-01-2002, 10:11 PM

I do... I'm in the middle of an engine/transmission swap, and an interior swap... I've rebuilt my V6 in one of my other cars... yea.. I do all my own stuff...

Tony
Old 09-01-2002, 10:21 PM

i wouldnt call myself a mechanic, but i am learning on the max. so far i have changed the control arms and the alternator. i am thinking of trying to fix the VTC's (new ones). i know this is a lot harder, but i will never know if i can do it unless i try. i think i will wait until i change the cams on my 92 SE-R. i plan to do that late september, so the VTCs might be changed by october. im know that there are a bunch of guys that do their own work on here. that is the reason for the org, why we post, search and ask questions of other members, they are here to help us. they have been good to me so far

Laly
Old 09-01-2002, 10:52 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Real Maxima owner/mechanics?

Originally posted by trbo
Is anybody on the .org an actual mechanic, or at least actually do their own repairs/upgrades on their own Maximas?? (not just brakes, change oil or plugs.)
I enjoy working on cars...body and mechanical. My maxima is just one of the many project cars I have had in the past.

Body-I replaced the rear quarter panel, front fender, hood and bumpers.

mechanical-axles, control arms, will be doing VTCs and putting a 5 speed variable intake on and maybe even the 5 speed swap but my auto is too nice right now to do that...maybe later though.

I really think that most of the guys on here do their own work.
Old 09-02-2002, 04:08 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Doesn't everyone "put wrench to metal" here?
Old 09-02-2002, 09:04 AM

good stuff, i only asked cause i noticed too many rookie questions, and not too many "real" tech questions.

I myself do all my own work, minus transmissions, i will put one out, but will not open it up. Ive overhauled a couple of motors, do all suspension work, try to tune to my best ability and feel.
I also will not touch fuel tanks, Im am very scared of how quick fuel starts a fire.

Otherwise i am almost a mechanic.

I would love to take the maxima apart one day, but "if it aint broke, dont fix it" Ive tried to break it, but in the last four years, ive only killed the VE 5spd box.

It would be awesome to turbo it, but i cant justify yet. The car still runs mint for the mileage and age it is.

Just wondering if this .org would do like some other boards, and incorporate an advanced tech section, and a beginner/newbie tech section. I know its more work, but i think it would help out alot of guys when searching/browsing whether trying to get help, or trying to give help.

Has anyone checked out www.dsmtalk.com, or www.ca.dsm.org. I kinda like their breakdown. I understand maxima.org has been around quite long enough, but i think some constructive criticism is good.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've done all my own car work for years. I rebuilt the transmission on my 92 GXE a few years ago-easy to do if you have patience, a clean work area, and a factory manual. The Max hasn't needed much else so far, but I do have a Fiero that I've completely dissassembled and am rebuilding.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:08 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I'm about to take that "next step" this winter when hopefully me and my boy drop a B16 into our CRX...it should be a good learning process and I guess it'll be my next step from simple oil changes and tuneups to going the whole 9-yards! can't wait to get that bad boy on the track!!
Old 09-02-2002, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
I'm about to take that "next step" this winter when hopefully me and my boy drop a B16 into our CRX...it should be a good learning process and I guess it'll be my next step from simple oil changes and tuneups to going the whole 9-yards! can't wait to get that bad boy on the track!!
why not just go H22a, and custom turbo setup. That will be much more fun!!

Good luck with your swap, everything should be easy, as they have kits and everythinig you need for that motor swap. Too bad they dont have kits for the 4g63t swap into a c50 colt.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:19 PM
STFU n00b!

Aside from rebuilding the transmission myself, I've had my hands on/in every other major component on the car. brakes, electronics, suspension, body work, engine work, diagnostics and tuning, blah blah blah...

no, we're not ALL idiots, but most act like it.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:29 PM
I'm needing a caw

I'm one the first few to do VTC replacements/had the engine out once, had the head off, did a HG replacement, exhaust stud replair, two clutch jobs(told everyone the Nissan key value kits are junk), suspension, most of the major engine repairs etc..

You know, normal everyday stuff.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:15 AM

i think im mechanically inclined... i did a automatic to 5spd conversion?

i dunno.. but now i have to use this extra pedal to make my car go.. different from me having to just give it gas.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:58 AM

I worked part time as a tech through college. Mechanically inclined? I like to think so..rebuilt my max's 5 speed solo. Also have done a million different repairs on every major foriegn and domestic make(even Jag, porsche, BMW, although those were relatively minor, reaiators, belts, tuneup's and such). For every good response from an experienced "mechanic" there will be a bad one on this board. And by the way, REAL MECHANIC is a relative term. If you consider someone who fixes cars at a shop for money real, good luck. I know many people who are far better at automobile troubleshooting and repair than most "mechanic$$$".
Old 09-03-2002, 04:43 PM

Oh yeah. I dont like other people even touching my car. I have done just about everything on my car suspension, stereo, Body work(rust), ignition. But I crashed it . but now since I have a spare engine I can finally take it apart and do some internal work to it either AM or TT dont know yet still trying to find a winter car.

"not doing your own work takes the fun out of it and doing yourself makes you love and appreciate your car more" TB-MaxSE-89
Old 09-04-2002, 05:07 AM

I agree...do it yourself and you will feel great when the car outperforms others. Ahh the satisfaction of off a Rustang...soon enough.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:19 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

is there an H22 mount kit for the CRX?? I heard of driveability issues as far as H22s in CRXs go(unbalanced ride..w/ very heavy front end). but hell B16a1 and turbo will be good enough for me!
Old 09-04-2002, 08:33 AM

I have gone from installing my battery backwards (Feb '01) to being able to do suspension, brakes, exhaust,alternator install, belts, plugs, fluid changes, and fuel injectors. However, I am still learning to look for the simplest explanation to a problem and to not jump to conclusions.
Old 09-04-2002, 03:06 PM

did until my max got wrecked and ****ing stolen (not literally but kinda) from me.
now i just tinker with the 2000 Max and the 1998 Durango (classic, btw).

MrGone
Old 09-04-2002, 03:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I do my own work. In the past I have rebuilt engines, transmissions, rear ends, fixed air conditioning, set up distributors, tuned up cars, etc... I haven't had an awful lot to do lately since all we drive are Japanese cars and they just seem to keep on running with a little TLC. I don't mod our cars, I got the racing bug out of my system with gas class coupes, super stocks, dragsters, GTOs and mustangs. I just enjoy maintaining a well running and very clean car.
Old 09-04-2002, 05:53 PM

im a real mechanic..and get paid to do it.. ive done things like fill Manual tranaxle's with ATF.. change motoroil and pour in Gear Oil.. tell people to replace things when they are in good condition.. its great i tell ya
Old 09-04-2002, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by mykizism
im a real mechanic..and get paid to do it.. ive done things like fill Manual tranaxle's with ATF.. change motoroil and pour in Gear Oil.. tell people to replace things when they are in good condition.. its great i tell ya [/QUOTE}

Old 09-05-2002, 12:44 AM

is there an H22 mount kit for the CRX?? I heard of driveability issues as far as H22s in CRXs go(unbalanced ride..w/ very heavy front end). but hell B16a1 and turbo will be good enough for me!
KIT?? LOL, i thought a mig welder and saws and hammers , with a bit of imagination, is the all round kit required to make anything fit/work!!!

When you get into more power in a fwd, the more weight you have in the front the better, otherwise it will be all wheelspin. Unless you are up for a front engine rear drive civic!! Its been done on a few integras already!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 12:59 AM

Good luck with your swap, everything should be easy, as they have kits and everythinig you need for that motor swap. Too bad they dont have kits for the 4g63t swap into a c50 colt.
that would require hacking hte frame and puttin it back together, there is one here in austin...
Old 09-05-2002, 01:57 AM

KIT?? LOL, i thought a mig welder and saws and hammers , with a bit of imagination, is the all round kit required to make anything fit/work!!!

When you get into more power in a fwd, the more weight you have in the front the better, otherwise it will be all wheelspin. Unless you are up for a front engine rear drive civic!! Its been done on a few integras already!!!
not really a fesible idea.. just like trynig to put a VE into a VG maxima.. not really worth it
Old 09-05-2002, 08:53 AM
I'm needing a caw

DaMax is referring to the first time you bomb into a corner, you turn the steering wheel but the car still keeps going straight.

Old 09-05-2002, 10:06 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by Jeff92se
DaMax is referring to the first time you bomb into a corner, you turn the steering wheel but the car still keeps going straight.
YUP!!! eventhough the swap has been done before...I need my ability to turn. but for a track only car that would be a killer combo!!!
Old 09-05-2002, 10:56 AM

YUP!!! eventhough the swap has been done before...I need my ability to turn. but for a track only car that would be a killer combo!!!

Do the GSR/Gen 2 Drag turbo setup..it will dust off any b16turbo. Still a light engine too
Old 09-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by male
Do the GSR/Gen 2 Drag turbo setup..it will dust off any b16turbo. Still a light engine too
you mean b18c swap...naw, too much trouble to go from cable to hydro tranny just for the B18's 10 more hp and about 6 more ft. of torque. B16a1 tranny will be straight swap in. IMO its easier to go with the turbo'd B16a1 and eventually do the type R valve train swap...
Old 09-05-2002, 11:06 AM
I'm needing a caw

Actually, I read that Endyn doesn't like the VTEC valvetrain.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:19 AM

you mean b18c swap...naw, too much trouble to go from cable to hydro tranny just for the B18's 10 more hp and about 6 more ft. of torque. B16a1 tranny will be straight swap in. IMO its easier to go with the turbo'd B16a1 and eventually do the type R valve train swap...
b18c has 17 more ft lbs of torque than the b16a...

b18 > b16
Old 09-05-2002, 12:06 PM

Yes. My father was a mechanic and I've worked on cars since I was old enough to hold a trouble light. I usually do all of my own work on my cars ('92 Maxima SE, '97 Integra GS-R). Only when I don't have time will I take the cars in for service (because I usually have to redo the work when I get the car back). Although I'm a purist and just work on the car to keep it as it came from the factory. I'm not big on modifications.

'92 Max SE
Old 09-05-2002, 12:32 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by Dummy
b18c has 17 more ft lbs of torque than the b16a...
thats right...whats the b16 like 111ft or something??
Old 09-05-2002, 02:35 PM

thats right...whats the b16 like 111ft or something??
yeah.