3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Smell from front Brakes or ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 07:32 AM

Smell from front Brakes or ???

Last weekend was hectic for me.. I transformed my self from newbie to some thing else..
Checked the wheel bearing on left front side
I removed the tires, caliper, rotor and losened some other bolts and pulled the axle out of the wheel hub/bearing assembly..

Bearing is a bad shape..

I put every thing back it took solid 3-4 hours... Bcos the only thing which weren't rusted were my *****.. in that place
I did put most of bolts with suggested torque from FSM with the torque wrech.. Except for Axle nut... It is fat -- fat nut man....

I did take a small test drive after that every thing seemed fine..
Today came to work in the morning (6-7 miles drive)...

Things looked fine till I got out. Then I smelled some thing different... Kind of burning.. Definetly not tires.
What it could be.. ?
Brakes, CV boot..

Please suggest some thing to look at...
Old 09-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

u pulled the axle out...saying the bearing is bad..but u still put the bearing back in and currently driving around w/ it?
it could be anything.
bearing, CV grease on the rotor, oil on the rotor.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:55 AM

Hi Dan
I did pull the axle out.. and running with same old bearing

But I did make sure that the rotor is clean... both on the inner side and outer side.

By the way the pads and rotor are pretty much new. I got them replaced 1 month ago.. Could that be a issue..?

Now what do you think the next good step is for me.. ?
Thanks
Old 09-09-2002, 09:08 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by maximalover
Hi Dan
I did pull the axle out.. and running with same old bearing

But I did make sure that the rotor is clean... both on the inner side and outer side.

By the way the pads and rotor are pretty much new. I got them replaced 1 month ago.. Could that be a issue..?

Now what do you think the next good step is for me.. ?
Thanks
i would really consider looking into the bearings. since they have been opened and i'm sure the grease is pretty much dried up.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:38 AM
STFU n00b!

Brake smell is a very definite smell..

if you pulle dthe axle, it could very well be tranny juice leaking out and cooking on the exhaust.

Get the bearing replaced ASAP, as if you don't, you'll end up buying a $130 hub too. (don't ask how I know).

When you do all that, also pull the axle out again and replace the tranny seal. if it's been more than 5 years since it was last opened up, then it's likely the seal is dry/hard and when you pulle dthe axle out, you may have stretched or cut it so that it leaks now. for $7 and another 15 minutes while you're replacing the bearing, it's no big deal.

Those would be my two guesses. Also make sure you got the caliper mounted correctly. if the bolts aren't tight or the slider pins are frozen in place, then it could be causing a brake pad to rub and get hot- thus causing the smell.