3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 10:15 AM

secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p (Part I)

Finding info on turboing a 3rd gen under numerous searches leaves you hanging in the cold? With that in mind, I am here to display the capabilites of the 3rd gen under boost. I must say it's not cheap but can be done for alot cheaper with the right planning.

Engine: 88-89 Z31 or VG30ET Block. The stock block itself will support anywhere from 300-400hp.(Used motor can run you anywhere from 750 dollars and up depending on the condition of the block)

Nismo head gasket: this will already lower the stock compression making it possible to run alittle more boost safely.

If you have a five speed the swaps alittle easier far as fitment,if you are using the z31 wire harness its alittle harder since alot of the z31 sensors dont work on the max,easier way is to use the maxima harness and upper and lower intake manifold and injector rail,various sensors.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:50 AM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Wow hes talking! This gets better and better!

Now where are all the "Turbo post" regulars with their 2 cents .....
Old 09-12-2002, 11:15 AM

secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p (Part 2)

Turbo charging a na max will require more money to lower the stock compression (stock z32 pistons and rods will bolt into your max giving you a bigger window for power.) But I must stress again will cost you a little more with engine work.

If you plan on turbo charging your stock Max by using the Z31 manifolds with stock T3, you would be looking at anywhere from 200-205hp with all the work thats needed its best you fortify the block for reliability.

Since this write-up is from my experience. The car was originally setup for Jim Wolf's 450 Package. By me not using the Z31 harness, Jim Wolf and I came up with a different solution. Basically, you are using the Z31 bottom end with turbo manifolds and cross over, injector rails and various sensors. The stock air flow meter will not allow you to go over 350hp safely.(which is something me and clark steppler are working on now)

The best way to do this is to have the Maxima engine and Z31 motor next to each other which is how it was in my case. Here you would see how close the motors are, aside from the manifolds and intake, the Z31 block is identical. Here is where I went through swapping the Maxima sensors to the Z31 block (Temp sensor, speed sensor, etc).
Old 09-12-2002, 01:48 PM

Air flow meter...

I thought JWT's answer to this problem was the Mustang MAF? Have any trouble with the A/C install or is it being removed?
Old 09-12-2002, 03:51 PM

secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p (Part 3}

Next you will have to address the pullies and oil pump and water pump. The Z comes with older pullies, so you will have to swap them out with the Maxima ones. In my case, I had the Unorthodox racing underdrive crank pulley from the Maxima bolted onto the Z's crank perfectly.

Next you will have to address the Z's oil pan. Simply swap and use the Maxima's one, it will have to be tapped later for drainage from turbo. If you notice in one of the pics, I still have the Z31 valve covers on the car. Another misjudgement to find out after having them ceramic coated. Anyway, the Z31 valve covers will not work with Maxima intake manifold (If you see in one of my pics where the throttle valve is blocking a vacum opening with the Z31 valve cover).

Now is the time, if you have purchased a Z31 motor to freshen it up, oil pump, water pump, timing belt, tentioner, new sensors, and numerous gaskets and seals. Also, rebuilding the turbo, here is where the T3/T4 comes in.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:24 PM
STFU n00b!

I greatly appreciate you posting all of this info, but would you mind posting it all in one thread, so that I can either make it a sticky or archive it in one link?

I'll merge the current three threads into one for simplicity, but if you wouldn't mind, please post the rest under that one. Thanks for all the info!
Old 09-13-2002, 04:44 AM

Re: Air flow meter...

Originally posted by Siege
I thought JWT's answer to this problem was the Mustang MAF? Have any trouble with the A/C install or is it being removed?
are you talking about air conditioning???

b/c from the pics the AC compressor is still there.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:25 AM

Re: Air flow meter...

The air condition is still intact and usable,the air flow meter or the cobra map was designed to work with the z31 fuel rail and wiring systematic jim wolf has never tuned one for a maxima application.

Originally posted by Siege
I thought JWT's answer to this problem was the Mustang MAF? Have any trouble with the A/C install or is it being removed? [/QUOTE]
Old 09-13-2002, 08:22 AM

I'm confused a little hear. You are saying put the max sensors in place of the z31 sensors. Why not go straight z31 swap? Are the harnesses that different from max to z31? I thought the only diff was the knock sensor wire. Then if you use the z31 turbo ECU and all z31 sensors, you can go with the cobra MAF and not be limited to 350hp.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:27 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by male
I'm confused a little hear. You are saying put the max sensors in place of the z31 sensors. Why not go straight z31 swap? Are the harnesses that different from max to z31? I thought the only diff was the knock sensor wire. Then if you use the z31 turbo ECU and all z31 sensors, you can go with the cobra MAF and not be limited to 350hp.
if I'm correct he didn't have to switch any sensors...as long as you maintain the Maxima heads, upper and lower manifold the OEM Maxima harness should stay intact, I think thats right?!?!
Old 09-13-2002, 08:28 AM

Also, did you use the japanese z31 intake setup? It is identical to the max's with the exception of the portion leading to the TB, that goes straight down to the turbo. But it leaves no room for IC piping. You would have to cut it anway if you want an IC. Is that what you did? By the way, some z31 drivers have had great success running higher boost with no IC, utilizing water injection instead. One guy uses a diluted methanol mix in the water injection system. Would simplify the install. Plus, all the losses in those IC pipes could be avoided. Just some ideas. Waddaya say?
Old 09-13-2002, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

if I'm correct he didn't have to switch any sensors...as long as you maintain the Maxima heads, upper and lower manifold the OEM Maxima harness should stay intact, I think thats right?!?!
OH, I get it. but this creates the MAF situation. So you ONLY get 350hp maximum. I guess thats ok for a street car. Plus, alot less work than swapping harnesses! Man, I am dying to do this. I figure 5 grand should get me there with some good headwork and forged pistons...saving my pennies
Old 09-13-2002, 10:38 AM
STFU n00b!

Actually, it shouldn't be that hard for a VG to use the Cobra MAF sensor also, even with everything else the way his is... the biggest problem is that MAX/OD is on the right coast, and JWT is on the left coast. little hard to have them play with a car on the dyno when you're 3000 miles away...

I'm sure if someone wanted to duplicate this setup at JWT's shop that they could get the Cobra MAF stuff ironed out.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:48 PM
Dysfunctional

Re: secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p (Part I)

oh ****... that is some sweet stuff i would like to know how u did this so i can follow in your foot steps to a turbo max too

Old 09-13-2002, 03:21 PM

But then again the Z32 MAF is plug/play and can go as high or higher than a cobra MAF. Plus you don't have to rewire the harness connector too.

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Actually, it shouldn't be that hard for a VG to use the Cobra MAF sensor also, even with everything else the way his is... the biggest problem is that MAX/OD is on the right coast, and JWT is on the left coast. little hard to have them play with a car on the dyno when you're 3000 miles away...

I'm sure if someone wanted to duplicate this setup at JWT's shop that they could get the Cobra MAF stuff ironed out.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:15 PM

JALIL CALL ME

jalil I called ur cell but its not workin, michelle isnt going anymore to the Syclone/Typhoon meet anymore so itll be u and me, but we need to talk before hand about plans. call my cell, i am not working at the shop all weekend so dont bother callin their. Call me eother way and let me know what the deal is.later

-neil

sorry guys for using this bb as an email service, just cant get ahold of him any other way right now and the syclone meet is sunday so i kinda had no other option to get a hold of him.later
Old 09-13-2002, 04:28 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by MAX/OD

good job man, I give you alot of credit for having info and pictures to back it up.
Old 09-15-2002, 02:38 AM

Re: secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p (Part 4}

Basicaly if u purchased a complete 88-89 z31 engine u will see that the 88 z31 has a "smaller turbo" a T25 which could make around 260hp with jim wolf chip intercooler. The T3 which comes in the 89' Z31 can be sent in and upgraded to a T3/T4 Hybrid, which can be basically configured in numerous configurations. For more on T3/T4, http://64.225.76.178/main.htm Basically when turbo sizes completed, you will have to run the oil lines from turbo back to the Maxima's oil pan.

If your are doing the z31 swap as I have there are issues I ran into one is if its a automagic like mine u will need a serious rebuild level 10 http://www.levelten.com/store/import...ssan_trans.htm offers its pts sytem comes with various gaskets,torrington bearings,kolene reaction plates and clutches to complete the package you will need a torque converter 2800 stall wich is stock on the z31 auto,valve body recalibration had mine done by mobilethief I mean mobiletek don in texass,level 10 offers these services but in a timely fashion ,you will also need a transmission cooler.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:54 AM

Basically this car is gonna haul ***. Not to mention look pretty good doing it. What tail lights are you going with? Congrats mang on the great job/documentation..
Old 09-16-2002, 07:06 AM

Re: Re: secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p (Part 4}

Basicaly if u purchased a complete 88-89 z31 engine u will see that the 88 z31 has a "smaller turbo" a T25 which could make around 260hp with jim wolf chip intercooler. The T3 which comes in the 89' Z31 can be sent in and upgraded to a T3/T4 Hybrid, which can be basically configured in numerous configurations. For more on T3/T4, http://64.225.76.178/main.htm Basically when turbo sizes completed, you will have to run the oil lines from turbo back to the Maxima's oil pan.

If your are doing the z31 swap as I have there are issues I ran into one is if its a automagic like mine u will need a serious rebuild level 10 http://www.levelten.com/store/import...ssan_trans.htm offers its pts sytem comes with various gaskets,torrington bearings,kolene reaction plates and clutches to complete the package you will need a torque converter 2800 stall wich is stock on the z31 auto,valve body recalibration had mine done by mobilethief I mean mobiletek don in texass,level 10 offers these services but in a timely fashion ,you will also need a transmission cooler.
Thanks for answering my tranny question from your last thread, but $3K? I spent $2K last year on a tranny that was "supposedly" bulletproof like that one, and now I have a puddle of gear oil under my bell housing. Is this for real? I've been through 3 trannys in the past 2 years and I can't keep this up...
Old 09-16-2002, 07:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p (Part 4}

just curious did you have the level 10 rebuild?From level 10 you can get the pts kit for $729 designed for your application the other parts to complete the upgrade can be found for cheaper but u cant skip any thing and just get a valve body or something and expect it to handle extra power.Also having reputable shop install the kit or have level 10 do it they have waranty on all there parts.

Originally posted by nismo1989

Thanks for answering my tranny question from your last thread, but $3K? I spent $2K last year on a tranny that was "supposedly" bulletproof like that one, and now I have a puddle of gear oil under my bell housing. Is this for real? I've been through 3 trannys in the past 2 years and I can't keep this up...
Old 09-16-2002, 08:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p (Part 4}

just curious did you have the level 10 rebuild?From level 10 you can get the pts kit for $729 designed for your application the other parts to complete the upgrade can be found for cheaper but u cant skip any thing and just get a valve body or something and expect it to handle extra power.Also having reputable shop install the kit or have level 10 do it they have waranty on all there parts.

No, it wasn't the "level 10" upgrade but I assume it was something pretty similar. I have to be honest and say that drivetrain work scares the hell out of me. I had a shop do it and they had assured me that I was A-okay. I know I run my car pretty hard but for a tranny that cost me over $2K to only last a year is rediculous. Anyhow, I think that unless I can find a viable and cost effective solution to my tranny woes, I am going to do a basic rebuild and my car is going from go to show, ya know what I mean? I am so done with this crap!!!
Old 09-16-2002, 05:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p (Part 4}

Originally posted by nismo1989

No, it wasn't the "level 10" upgrade but I assume it was something pretty similar. I have to be honest and say that drivetrain work scares the hell out of me. I had a shop do it and they had assured me that I was A-okay. I know I run my car pretty hard but for a tranny that cost me over $2K to only last a year is rediculous. Anyhow, I think that unless I can find a viable and cost effective solution to my tranny woes, I am going to do a basic rebuild and my car is going from go to show, ya know what I mean? I am so done with this crap!!!
Idiot MaxO/D has a automatic transmission.. you have a Manual.. Hence "Level 10" junk is mainly for automatic valve body upgrades... shrugs
Old 09-17-2002, 06:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p (Part 4}

Originally posted by mykizism

Idiot MaxO/D has a automatic transmission.. you have a Manual.. Hence "Level 10" junk is mainly for automatic valve body upgrades... shrugs
Umm, I may have misread that but it sounds like you are calling ME and idiot. ???

That's great. I'm glad Level 10 or whatever is for automatics. That's the first I've heard of this level 10 crap and I didn't claim to be any expert on it has I've never even heard of it before. No need for you to throw a bunch of attitude at me, really. I think you must have misread what I said...
Old 09-17-2002, 09:00 AM

so much drama
Old 09-18-2002, 09:12 PM

??

ok, just a stupid question, i prob. should have just read up, bbut i'm tired, anyways, which cars do these engine come out of: Engine: 88-89 Z31 or VG30ET Block? just curious. Also was't there discussion that someone could swap the 300zx engine into the max? i mean it is almost identical to the vg engine right? so would it even be ness. to swap the whole engine from a 300zx? and also, which swap would be more benificial as far as highest horsepower, speed, weight etc, between the 300zx vg30dett and the one being done here? please dont flame guys, just real tired.
justin
Old 09-18-2002, 09:27 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: ??

this swap is using the 85-89 Z31 VG30ET block(7.5:1 CR) with VG Maxima heads and intake manifolds. this is a very beneficial swap considering you have all of the additional gadgets to make it wokr right...the low compression ratio, plus his headwork and cams should make a viscous turbo beast!!! 90-96 VG30ETT will not fit remember thats the block from the Z32, too wide for or car.

Originally posted by djmayhem
ok, just a stupid question, i prob. should have just read up, bbut i'm tired, anyways, which cars do these engine come out of: Engine: 88-89 Z31 or VG30ET Block? just curious. Also was't there discussion that someone could swap the 300zx engine into the max? i mean it is almost identical to the vg engine right? so would it even be ness. to swap the whole engine from a 300zx? and also, which swap would be more benificial as far as highest horsepower, speed, weight etc, between the 300zx vg30dett and the one being done here? please dont flame guys, just real tired.
justin
Old 09-18-2002, 10:09 PM

Re: Re: ??

Ok thanks man, so the VG30et block comes out of the Z31? Also, since i have an se, or the ve30de engine, i would have to also get all the parts form another vg correct?
Justin
Originally posted by DA-MAX
this swap is using the 85-89 Z31 VG30ET block(7.5:1 CR) with VG Maxima heads and intake manifolds. this is a very beneficial swap considering you have all of the additional gadgets to make it wokr right...the low compression ratio, plus his headwork and cams should make a viscous turbo beast!!! 90-96 VG30ETT will not fit remember thats the block from the Z32, too wide for or car.

Old 09-19-2002, 05:52 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: ??

Ok thanks man, so the VG30et block comes out of the Z31? Also, since i have an se, or the ve30de engine, i would have to also get all the parts form another vg correct?
Justin
uh....problem, the VG-T parts you'd need for a turbo swap onto your VE aren't compatible, you're on your own, totally custom job there!
Old 09-19-2002, 10:35 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Finding info on turboing a 3rd gen under numerous searches leaves you hanging in the cold? With that in mind, I am here to display the capabilites of the 3rd gen under boost. I must say it's not cheap but can be done for alot cheaper with the right planning.

Engine: 88-89 Z31 or VG30ET Block. The stock block itself will support anywhere from 300-400hp.(Used motor can run you anywhere from 750 dollars and up depending on the condition of the block)

Nismo head gasket: this will already lower the stock compression making it possible to run alittle more boost safely.

If you have a five speed the swaps alittle easier far as fitment,if you are using the z31 wire harness its alittle harder since alot of the z31 sensors dont work on the max,easier way is to use the maxima harness and upper and lower intake manifold and injector rail,various sensors.
Hey! You'd better be quiet, or else all those "I'm keeping my turbo plans a secret" folks might put a hit out on ya
Old 09-19-2002, 04:46 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p (Part I)

Originally posted by blackandwhite

Hey! You'd better be quiet, or else all those "I'm keeping my turbo plans a secret" folks might put a hit out on ya
lol @those people, like I said Max-O/D you get props for having the info and pics and actually doing it and not talking it.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p (Part I)

Originally posted by N34JZ

lol @those people, like I said Max-O/D you get props for having the info and pics and actually doing it and not talking it.
yah i used to talk the talk all the time. i really dont even know what a turbo is
Old 09-19-2002, 09:00 PM

all i wanna know...

all i wanna know now is which car do i pull the vg30et block from? like which car does it come out of. and also where did he get those bmw style fenders/vents??
justin
Old 09-19-2002, 09:23 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: all i wanna know...

all i wanna know now is which car do i pull the vg30et block from? like which car does it come out of. and also where did he get those bmw style fenders/vents??
justin
the block is from any '85-88 300zx Turbo(Z31)...re-read the first paragragh man, all the info is there! the vents are custom job by a body shop!
Old 09-20-2002, 07:50 PM

Re: Re: secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :part 5}

If you have been following the recipe you will know that upgrading a manual 5 speed is much easier and will net more power to the wheels. A simple stage 2or3 clutch upgrade should handle the full power output of this swap. Why I choose the auto? My driving style is mostly in stop and go traffic, so I need something for work and a little weekend track use. The issue I want to address with the swap is to the EGR(exhaust gas recirculation) or not depending on were u live will dictate if you have it plugged or run a custom line from each opening,what Iam doing is having custom extreme temperature lines
made up the z31'S egr starts on the rear exhaust manifold the maxima'S is is up front I simply cut the lines and left the connections, from here you can have a line fabricated to join each togather.

Another issue to adress is the cooling fans dual fan setup from the maxima can no longer be used because of relative size assuming your doing the t3/t4 upgrade the hot side of the turbo sits very close to the radiator leaving you with more custom options one route I have chosen is fluidynes ultra thin line 16 inch fan these fans are pullers and move alot of air not sure of the acurate cfms but they work fine on the z31's with wired in switch can turned on sooner for hot days running AC I dont for see any heating issues for I have replaced the waterpump,koyo oem radiator,thermostat,hoses you never know though dual spal fans where a idea from the 95/97 240sx bit pricy when cooling&space is the objective.Would like to hear of any other ideas on fan style since the depth of the fan makes running duals very tight.

Old 09-20-2002, 08:44 PM
Large Member

MAX/OD, thank you for posting all of this info! I know we all appreciate you taking the time to talk with us about the swap. Good luck with finishing the rest up. I hope it turns out for the best. Man, I can't wait to see some dyno numbers, movies, sounds, absolutely anything (as I'm sure we all are)!

Now, please give us a write-up on how to convert to RWD! j/k
Old 09-20-2002, 10:00 PM

question....

My friend and I are thinking about doing this swap to my max, however my tranny just went and i am getting another 3rd gen. My question being, i was reading and he said that a 5spd would be better as far as transferring the power. i would also rather have a 5spd. However, you have to have the the VG30 engine to take the parts off correct? So what i was wondering, is none of the 3rd gen vg's come with a5spd, right? hence if i wanted a 5 spd with this swap, would i have to get a tranny off of another 3rd gen and try to fit it on? please let me know, or i may be totally missing the point....if i am please let me know how i could do this swap with a 5spd....sorry for all the stupid ??'s lately, tired with work and school, not paying good attention. thanks for your help
justin
Old 09-20-2002, 10:26 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: question....

first off you have to understand the motor you have in your Max is the VE30DE(NOT the VG), remember all 92-94 SEs had the VE and all 89-91 SEs and 89-94 GXEs had the VG...so to tell you the truth, majority of the info in this thread won't apply to you. being that you have the VE motor, for one you cannot use the Z31 turbo manifolds and you might not even be able to properly fit the VG30ET block or link it up to your DOHC heads...so in all actuality you're better off doing your own custom setup for the VE rather than follow these directions because the setup for the VG and VE will differ greatly, especially this one!

as for the tranny, you'd have to use a 5spd tranny off any 92-94 SE Maxima and fit it to your current motor.

My friend and I are thinking about doing this swap to my max, however my tranny just went and i am getting another 3rd gen. My question being, i was reading and he said that a 5spd would be better as far as transferring the power. i would also rather have a 5spd. However, you have to have the the VG30 engine to take the parts off correct? So what i was wondering, is none of the 3rd gen vg's come with a5spd, right? hence if i wanted a 5 spd with this swap, would i have to get a tranny off of another 3rd gen and try to fit it on? please let me know, or i may be totally missing the point....if i am please let me know how i could do this swap with a 5spd....sorry for all the stupid ??'s lately, tired with work and school, not paying good attention. thanks for your help
justin
Old 09-21-2002, 08:07 AM

i know that..

what i was saying was that i am getting ANOTHER mx so i what i was asking is to do this conversion with a 5spd i would have to get the 1991 se 5spd that has the VG30 engine right? Lemme know man thanks
Justin
Old 09-21-2002, 09:16 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: i know that..

yeah...you could get any 89-91 SE 5spd.

what i was saying was that i am getting ANOTHER mx so i what i was asking is to do this conversion with a 5spd i would have to get the 1991 se 5spd that has the VG30 engine right? Lemme know man thanks
Justin

Quick Reply: secret recipe of a turbo 3rd gen :p