3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Question on lifter replacement (VE)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 07:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Question on lifter replacement (VE)

I have a 94 SE(140,000 miles) with a very loud knocking lifter. The noise use to be intermittent, but now it is pretty constant. I know it is a bad lifter because I had one on my old Maxima(GXE), and there is no way a VTC is that loud.

Well my question is: Is it possible to change the lifter on a VE engine without removing the camshaft. I know it is possible to replace the lifter on a VG engine without removing the camshaft because I've done it before.

I've looked in my Nissan FSM and for the VE engine it says to remove the camshaft first then the lifters, and when assembling to install the lifter first then the camshaft. So that sound very discouraging.
The FSM says on the VG engine to remove the lifters before the camshaft and when assembling install the camshaft first then the lifters.
The picture breakdown of the VE cylinder head in the FSM makes it hard to tell whether it is possible.
So after my previous research I'm assuming that it is not possible to change a lifter on a VE engine without removing the camshaft. I'm tempted to pull of my valve cover on my front bank of cylinders to further inspect.

I would like to be able to just pull my valve cover then maybe remove some rocker arms and possibly camshaft brackets and then replace my lifter (The noisy lifter is on the front bank of cylinders so I wouldn't have to pull the intake manifold).
But if I have to remove the camshaft in the process, then that means I'll have to mess with my timing chain and my front engine cover which will create more of a headache then it is worth. If that is the case then I will just wait a year or so until I have more money, then I plan to rebuild my engine.

I have already searched for lifter information on the forums and have found nothing helpful. I already read the post titled "lifter replacement" and it told me nothing.

PLEASE respond with any information that would be helpful!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2002, 07:13 PM

Yeah, you'll have to remove the camshaft first. The VG and VE are totally different head designs... the VG has rocker arms and all... the VE camshafts just push directly down on the valves. Less parts = quicker revs!

Anyway it's not that hard to take off the cam and front timing cover. There are about 8 small bolts that hold on the cover, but the front is pretty easy to get to. Just make sure you mark the cam sprocket and timing chain with white-out or something else, and that they line back up when you put it together. You'll also need some liquid gasket to reseal the front timing cover.

It can be done in an hour or two... pretty easy on the front head anyway!