3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

10yr matinence?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 03:55 PM

10yr matinence?

Every 3 months or 3000 miles you change the oil, every week you're supposed to check fluids and wash the car.
But getting a used maxima, I don't know how well it's been taken after. Are there like a list of things, I can do myself, to try and at least get it running close to it's original glory?
The know I should try to clean the engine manifold, but I don't know how hard that is, I know I have to buy special stuff to spray it out with, and get a new rubber ceal, but am not confident I won't break it. I also know of changing spark plug wires and plugs(to get NGK platinum for power?), but there is probably alot of other little things that have gotten worn and need to be cleaned/replaced after all this time?
What are some good tips for cleaning an older engine up real well?
Old 10-01-2002, 04:54 PM

the best thing would be to overhaul and rebuild the engine, but that's a pretty major deal.

do things like belts/hoses, change the fluids by flushing them, throttle body, changing the filters and sensors may also be something to consider but probably not needed (especially the senseors) until the engine starts performing badly.

if things don't need to be replaced like plugs and wires then don't worry about it. if they are in good condition, spend the time and money elsewhere.

if you trust a mechnic, pay them $50 to take a look at the engine and tell you want needs to be done.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:00 PM

I guess you're kinda right, I should ask the mechanic about it, although he's not to thrilled about trying to play with my car.
But is there some other generic stuff that goes after so long? Some place that gets gunky and should be cleaned? I accidentally unplugged the resisting capacitor a little while back, while the power steering was leaking, and while the mech fixed the hoses, he also rewired it so that the wires were actually attached, not just connecting in, and now I can just barely feel when the transmission shifts.
My friend has a 93' mercury cougar, and although it supposely has 20hp less then mine, it seems "better". When you fit the acceleration, it lurches foward and takes off. Mine pauses for a second, then downshifts, then goes, and before actually being able to start picking up speed, it has to upshift again(standard). And when I'm accelerating real quick, my RPM's get up to 6, while his only go to 3, and he's going faster!
So there's something not quite right there, IMO.. and I'd want to figure it out
Old 10-01-2002, 06:52 PM

Airbag?
Old 10-01-2002, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by doomtoo
I guess you're kinda right, I should ask the mechanic about it, although he's not to thrilled about trying to play with my car.
But is there some other generic stuff that goes after so long? Some place that gets gunky and should be cleaned? I accidentally unplugged the resisting capacitor a little [stuff omitted]
So there's something not quite right there, IMO.. and I'd want to figure it out
You should probably get a Haynes manual to show you the basics on maintenance. Check out some websites in the FAQ link at the top for some procedures. That should move you in the right direction.