3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

fell off ramps

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 02:46 PM

fell off ramps

so I decided to change the oil in my car using a set of ramps I borrowed from my friend. Never used ramps before, so I wanted to see what the big deal was.

Anyway, they were metal ramps and the were getting pushed a bit by the front underside of the bumper. I reved it a bit and got the car up, but I guess I must have push the ramps unevenly becasue the car came crashing down - about 1.5 feet. I had to jack the car a bit on either side to pull the ramps out. The only body damage was the mudflaps got a bit dislodged, but nothing too bad. The car drove fine and the alignment wasn't even off.

This morning though, I've started to hear a bit of a rattle from the front passenger side when I go over bumps. It's kinda freaking me out since I'm not sure if its from the fall or just something that's developed over time.

Do you guys have thoughts of what it could be? The car still rides fine and doesn't bounce abnormally in the front so I don't think it's shocks. I hope I didn't bust anything expensive. From what I can see under the car nothing is out of place.

I'm so ****ed at my stupidity. I should have had my buddy help me to get up there and make sure the ramps didn't slide around. Oh well, I stick with the jack stands from now on.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:56 PM

Re: fell off ramps

Originally posted by medic
so I decided to change the oil in my car using a set of ramps I borrowed from my friend. Never used ramps before, so I wanted to see what the big deal was.

Anyway, they were metal ramps and the were getting pushed a bit by the front underside of the bumper. I reved it a bit and got the car up, but I guess I must have push the ramps unevenly becasue the car came crashing down - about 1.5 feet. I had to jack the car a bit on either side to pull the ramps out. The only body damage was the mudflaps got a bit dislodged, but nothing too bad. The car drove fine and the alignment wasn't even off.

This morning though, I've started to hear a bit of a rattle from the front passenger side when I go over bumps. It's kinda freaking me out since I'm not sure if its from the fall or just something that's developed over time.

Do you guys have thoughts of what it could be? The car still rides fine and doesn't bounce abnormally in the front so I don't think it's shocks. I hope I didn't bust anything expensive. From what I can see under the car nothing is out of place.

I'm so ****ed at my stupidity. I should have had my buddy help me to get up there and make sure the ramps didn't slide around. Oh well, I stick with the jack stands from now on.
Yeah even ramps can be dangerous. I made a set of starter ramps to get my max up about 6 inches (made it out of wood), but they sell starter ramps out of plastic. They connect like Leggo blocks, a buddy of mine has a set.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:34 PM

ramps

I drive them onto a plank of wood first. This raises the car an inch and the car will clear the ramps. The incline of the ramps then rests on the plank and the weight of the car on the inclines keeps everything in place.

John
Old 10-08-2002, 07:54 PM

hey man just be happy you werent changing the oil yet
Old 10-08-2002, 11:17 PM

damn...that can be scarry!!!
When i changed out my axils, I use the crappy stock jack until my bro came home w/ the floor jack. I only had the pass side up and i was about 1/2 way under the brakes messing with my springs, moved out of the way and about 2 secs later the jack broke and the car came crashing down!!!!! It hit on my sway bar b4 the brakes which is a good thing, but 2 more seconds under the car, I would ahve been toast.........
Old 10-08-2002, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by pearl93max
When i changed out my axils, I use the crappy stock jack until my bro came home w/ the floor jack. I only had the pass side up and i was about 1/2 way under the brakes messing with my springs, moved out of the way and about 2 secs later the jack broke and the car came crashing down!!!!! It hit on my sway bar b4 the brakes which is a good thing, but 2 more seconds under the car, I would ahve been toast.........

Dude that had to be some kind of miracle

Glad to see your still responding to these threads and not under your car
Old 10-09-2002, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by pearl93max
that's the scary man, I'm only gonna use my floor jack from now on.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:09 AM

Any of you boys heard of jack stands?????

Old 10-09-2002, 10:23 AM

Re: Any of you boys heard of jack stands?????

Originally posted by G3Max
those can fall too man, personally i think the ramps are more safe if you know what your doin
Old 10-09-2002, 12:39 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

I can't think that ANYTHING is truly safe about lifting a 1/2 ton piece of metal, plastic, and wiring with jacks, ramps, or stands. Heck, we all know that Murphy's Law is in FULL EFFECT!!!

Just be careful, all!!
Old 10-09-2002, 06:29 PM

jacks can be weird...

what are these called... they are a piramid (cant spell) shape and are used after you jack the car up with the floor jack. they go on all 4 corners.anyone know what kinds of stands those are?? i feel dumb. haha
Old 10-09-2002, 06:37 PM

LOL OMG. i know. G3max just mention bout jack stands. im not thinking

Originally posted by nismo-max500
what are these called... they are a piramid (cant spell) shape and are used after you jack the car up with the floor jack. they go on all 4 corners.anyone know what kinds of stands those are?? i feel dumb. haha
Old 10-09-2002, 08:53 PM

Re: Re: Any of you boys heard of jack stands?????

Originally posted by Brendan

those can fall too man, personally i think the ramps are more safe if you know what your doin
I use the jack AND the jackstands. This way if the jack fails in the slightest bit... the car is still supported by the stand. IMHO getting under a car with ONLY the jack is ignorant and very dangerous.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:14 PM

I have invested in buying both 2 ton jack stand and floor jack...and use all 3 when I jack my car up now.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:38 PM
Lil 8

Re: Any of you boys heard of jack stands?????

Originally posted by G3Max
I agree and maybe wheel chocks or bricks to keep the wheels that are on the ground from moving!! Did we pull up the emergency brakes? Man glad to hear everyone is ok though!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 09:16 PM

If you didn't know this, NEVER support a vehicle with cinderblocks either. If you do it the wrong way, they will collapse..happened to my uncle. He is no longer with us. Just stick with the jack and stands, chock the wheels, e-brake and your good to go. Whenever I'm under a car, I use every jack and stand I have. Best investment is a small hydraulic floor jack for like 40 bucks. Easy to lift, control and don't typically collapse like scissor jacks..save that one for roadside tire changes. Be safe all
Old 10-15-2002, 11:03 PM

Just glad to hear that everyone is alright after some of those srories.. lesson from all of this---can't be too careful when crawling under a 3000+lb peice of metal.