3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Shift Kit on a 93 GXE

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 06:11 PM

Shift Kit on a 93 GXE

Well, I know I'll probably get some sort of comments out of this one. I got a shift kit put on my ride after finding nothing wrong with the tranny. I'll tell you what now though. It kicks me back in the seat between gears now and it's pretty sweet to be able to chirp those tires at a stop light. And to think my automagic was boring.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:14 PM

Re: Shift Kit on a 93 GXE

Originally posted by SnowMax3
Well, I know I'll probably get some sort of comments out of this one. I got a shift kit put on my ride after finding nothing wrong with the tranny. I'll tell you what now though. It kicks me back in the seat between gears now and it's pretty sweet to be able to chirp those tires at a stop light. And to think my automagic was boring.
What would a shift kit have anything to do with taking off from a stop?
Old 11-04-2002, 06:21 PM

Ok, you have a 5 speed so it's easy for you to just drop the clutch and let those tires go, right? In my automatic, you can hammer on the gas and it just goes, nothing speacial. Now it has a little more torque and kicks harder so I can spin em. Not much, but it's spinning.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:27 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

what "kit" did you have installed??
Old 11-04-2002, 06:35 PM

Ok, I took my car to Aamco in VA beach last week to get the tranny looked at. High miles and I thought it was slipping. Well, it turns out there was nothing wrong with it. The manager of the place runs a business on the side modding cars here and there. He said that my tranny was fine, but if I wanted he could put a shift kit in and it would give me a little more oomph in between gears. Now he did that and my car shifts harder, seems to take off a little harder.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

lets try this again...what kit did they install???

Ok, I took my car to Aamco in VA beach last week to get the tranny looked at. High miles and I thought it was slipping. Well, it turns out there was nothing wrong with it. The manager of the place runs a business on the side modding cars here and there. He said that my tranny was fine, but if I wanted he could put a shift kit in and it would give me a little more oomph in between gears. Now he did that and my car shifts harder, seems to take off a little harder.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:57 PM

Sorry, I'm playing dumb&$% on that one. To tell you the truth I'm not sure. I'm going back to this guy on Wednesday because for some reason my rev limiter or something is holding me back at 105mph. I'll find out and let you know.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:25 PM

We're not trying to flame you...and I asked what I did because a 'shift kit' isnt a higher stall TC.

A shift kit has to do with in between the gears, not off the line.

A higher stall TC would give you that spinning as you say from a stop.

So we're a lil confused here. You said you got a shift kit then talked about spinning from a stop referrencing a 5spd dropping the clutch. The shift kit wouldnt affect your off the line performance at all. And again, not trying to flame, just trying to figure out what you mean.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:42 PM

I'm guessing it was a trans-go shift kit.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:40 AM

I understand the comments and I deserve some flaming I guess for not being too knowledgeable in this subject . I don't really know what you mean by the higher stall TC. And I guess it may just be in my head about the spinning off the line. I know for sure that in between gears it hammers to the next gear pretty good. As for comparing it to a 5 speed, there is probably no comparison whatsoever. Now, a question would be why would the governor be kicking in at 105mph now? I was told that putting a shift kit in would not change overall speed. It just makes me wonder because I've never hit the rev limiter before and I know that my car will go at least 125-130. Once again, I'm kind of new to modding a car like this so sorry if I say something dumb
Old 11-05-2002, 06:41 AM

ok tc= torque converter

this slamming of gears.. or shifting harder.. makes me think of a vb mod.. but then again i am guessing.. and probaly not a good guess by that..

how much did this guy charge you, and how long was it in the shop?. also, there is no limiter on 3rd gens, well atleast not on my max. and your top speed should not be affected...

Question for the org members out there.. its a stupid one but hey here it goes. could they have changed the gearing in a way that is preventing him from going above 105...? like he is being locked out.. or is the tc locked into o/d and doesnt shift out of it into 4th.

ok back to snow max.. what is the rev techometer reading while changing from 1st 2nd 3rd o/d and 4th.?

Usually when my max shifts from 1st to 2nd it shifts at about 20 mph at about 2500 rpms
2-3 at about 35 mph at 2300 rpms
3-od at 45 mph, at around 2500rpms
4th didnt really notice,

correct me if i am a little off..

btw i have a 91 gxe auto.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i don't think there is anyway they changed the gears... that would be expensive.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by mtcookson
i don't think there is anyway they changed the gears... that would be expensive.
Sorry to post this here pbut MTcookson you gotta let me know about the VG30et once it is installed how it runs! Looks great, what type of tranny are you going to use in combo with it!

email me!
Old 11-05-2002, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by EdgeProductions

Sorry to post this here pbut MTcookson you gotta let me know about the VG30et once it is installed how it runs! Looks great, what type of tranny are you going to use in combo with it!

email me!
sorry didnt mean to post here but, did did my payment clear out...? i want to know the time when i drive..
Old 11-05-2002, 07:55 AM

Yeah, I hate to ***** up this thread too but when are you going to help me with my 5spd rebuild, Mark??!!
Old 11-05-2002, 07:56 AM

uh... name a time. i have my old tranny pulled apart so the internals are setting in some boxes right now.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:01 AM

uh... name a time. i have my old tranny pulled apart so the internals are setting in some boxes right now.
Wow, seriously?? I was playin around but you really are the only guy I could call on for help, seeing as you are only an hour away from me. I have to get it back from the shop (I need to pay them $250 for the diagnostic to get it back) and then my buddy could tow it wherever for me with his 2 wheel dolly thing. Do you have access to a lift or something?? I know you've got a lot of tools in your dad's garage and stuff but I didn't know how you were pullin trannys out unless you were crawling underneath . Well, I guess I'll e-mail you or something and get back to you. I pick up my new car today. I'm to embarrassed to say what it is here as it's a domestic and not exactly of my taste, but it's loaded and perfect for getting around while I'm working on the Maxima. I still want to get it back on the road...
Old 11-05-2002, 08:04 AM

i had to jack up my car and drop pull the tranny from the bottom. i didn't even have a tranny jack. i had to put a crawler on a floor jack, it was pretty funny. when putting the tranny back in my floor jack/crawler thingy wouldn't work right so i said screw it and put the tranny on my chest and lifted it in there.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:06 AM

...i said screw it and put the tranny on my chest and lifted it in there.
Holy crap, man!!! You're nuts!!
How are you going to complete the VGT swap??
Old 11-05-2002, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by nismo1989

How are you going to complete the VGT swap??
lol, i know...

what do you mean?
Old 11-05-2002, 08:18 AM

lol, i know...

what do you mean?
Nevermind, you're not using the entire engine, just the turbo, manifolds, and other misc. parts right? How are you going to do that without pulling the engine?? You certainly aren't going to muscle that one!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:30 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

you should try out for the world's strongest man contest
Old 11-05-2002, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by Chris91SE
you should try out for the world's strongest man contest
No kidding. I nominate you for the 'tranny toss' competition!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:33 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by nismo1989

No kidding. I nominate you for the 'tranny toss' competition!
::hands clapping:: Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:34 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by DanNY

::hands clapping:: Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:37 AM

Old 11-05-2002, 11:23 AM

lol, i wish i could throw it after it gave me that trouble it was still pretty heavy

i'm planning on dropping the whole engine in there, not swapping stuff out. i'm going to swap the important stuff but the majority of the engine will be the vg-t.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:39 AM

lol, i wish i could throw it after it gave me that trouble it was still pretty heavy

i'm planning on dropping the whole engine in there, not swapping stuff out. i'm going to swap the important stuff but the majority of the engine will be the vg-t.
Good man. You really just want the lower compression pistons and the turbo oil pump. Everything else is essentially the same as what's in the NA version besides heads and cam, but they are close. From what I heard the Twin TB setup on our maxes is better thatn the single TB of the VGT. There are JDM VGT's that have an intake system just like ours, TB and all. Something to think about.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:45 AM

yeah, i have that jdm engine. also, the reason why i want the whole engine in my car instead of swapping essential stuff is, if this engine trule has 50,000 some odd miles that's 80,000 less than mine has so... yeah
Old 11-05-2002, 11:46 AM

yeah, i have that jdm engine. also, the reason why i want the whole engine in my car instead of swapping essential stuff is, if this engine truly has 50,000 some odd miles that's 80,000 less than mine has...
Old 11-05-2002, 01:09 PM

POST ******
Well, I'm going to post back in to my thread and try to get it back now.
Crazy4maxima - The guy had my car over night and he said it took about 2 or 3 hours to do this (he was fixing my heater as well the 2 or 3 hours was for the tranny though). He didn't change out any gears because he charged me only$150. I'll ask him tommorrow when he looks at my car again, to see exactly what he did to it. Now my max does pretty much the same as yours does:

Usually when my max shifts from 1st to 2nd it shifts at about 20 mph at about 2500 rpms
4th didnt really notice,

Just now when it shifts, going from 1-2 is hard, then 2-3 not so hard, and 3-4. I never noticed either. Even putting it in to reverse I can feel it a little harder. Like I said though, I'm a beginner at this stuff so I'll talk to this guy tommorrow and maybe learn a little more about my car.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:55 PM

I was wondering when you'd come back! Sounds to me like he did some valve body tricks. If it was a torque converter (a viscous coupling that allow you to stand still while in drive..sort of takes the place of a clutch in a manula trans) it would have cost way more than 150. Firmer shifst are actually beneficial to a healthy autotrans...softer shifts mean more slippage means more heat means more stress on the trans. But firmer shifts put more shock on driveline components. SO there is always a tradeoff. DEFINATELY find out exactly what he did and run it by the .org. I'd like to know. Is there a warranty?
Old 11-05-2002, 01:59 PM

male - I'm supposed to get back with this guy tommorrow, so as soon as I find out, then you will know. And a warranty , don't know about that.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:29 PM

oh great... i'm going to pw

:yoda voice: softer shifts lead to slippage, slippage leads to heat, heat leads to more stress, stress leads to the dark side... :yoda voice:
Old 11-05-2002, 06:28 PM

POST ******
Well, I'm going to post back in to my thread and try to get it back now.
Crazy4maxima - The guy had my car over night and he said it took about 2 or 3 hours to do this (he was fixing my heater as well the 2 or 3 hours was for the tranny though). He didn't change out any gears because he charged me only$150. I'll ask him tommorrow when he looks at my car again, to see exactly what he did to it. Now my max does pretty much the same as yours does:

4th didnt really notice,

Just now when it shifts, going from 1-2 is hard, then 2-3 not so hard, and 3-4. I never noticed either. Even putting it in to reverse I can feel it a little harder. Like I said though, I'm a beginner at this stuff so I'll talk to this guy tommorrow and maybe learn a little more about my car.
it almost sounds to me like he unplugged the resistor for the tranny but i could be wrong. if it is a shift kit i want one
Old 11-06-2002, 05:18 AM

oh great... i'm going to pw

:yoda voice: softer shifts lead to slippage, slippage leads to heat, heat leads to more stress, stress leads to the dark side... :yoda voice:
die from post ***** you will, young jedi...
Old 11-07-2002, 08:10 AM

Ok, well I got to talk to this mechanic over the phone last night and I'm not going to be able to get my car checked out until next weekend, but he did tell me what he did to the tranny. I don't really understand what he meant but here goes. He said the basically reprogrammed the valve body. There were other details, but I didn't understand at all. I'm going to have him check my car out next weekend and I'm going to pretty much hang out to learn some stuff. Hopefully this may give you guys an understanding as to what was done to my tranny. But if not, I'll probably know a lot more after next weekend. For now though, I'm headed home on leave for the weekend and see 'dem Steelers kick some Atlanta butt!!!
Old 11-07-2002, 09:47 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

well we know he did a valve body modification...we're just trying to figure out what kit he used??

Ok, well I got to talk to this mechanic over the phone last night and I'm not going to be able to get my car checked out until next weekend, but he did tell me what he did to the tranny. I don't really understand what he meant but here goes. He said the basically reprogrammed the valve body. There were other details, but I didn't understand at all. I'm going to have him check my car out next weekend and I'm going to pretty much hang out to learn some stuff. Hopefully this may give you guys an understanding as to what was done to my tranny. But if not, I'll probably know a lot more after next weekend. For now though, I'm headed home on leave for the weekend and see 'dem Steelers kick some Atlanta butt!!!
Old 11-07-2002, 10:15 AM

Like I said, I'm not too knowlegdeable in this subject, so you'll have to just give a break. I'll know soon enough and let you know.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:40 AM

i was right on the money about the vb mod.. but too cheap for what your max is doing? wounder what exactly he did.... take some notes damn it..

Quick Reply: Shift Kit on a 93 GXE