3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

First Time under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 12:51 PM

First Time under the hood

I did my first replacement ever on my car today. I replaced my fuel filter. I have never done anything under the hood before that with the help of this forum ofcourse and my Chilton and Haynes manuals. One question though while taking the old filter out a little gas ran out of should I be worried about this it wasnt a lot but could it start a fire or anything I know I sound paranoid, its because I am.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:02 PM

Re: First Time under the hood

Originally posted by my2ndmax
I did my first replacement ever on my car today. I replaced my fuel filter. I have never done anything under the hood before that with the help of this forum ofcourse and my Chilton and Haynes manuals. One question though while taking the old filter out a little gas ran out of should I be worried about this it wasnt a lot but could it start a fire or anything I know I sound paranoid, its because I am.
Chill, it's fine. Besides, gas liquid isn't flammable, the vapors are, and it would take alot to cause a fire from engine heat. Just rinse it with some brake cleaner or Throttle body cleaner if you are that concerned. It probably evaporated by now. No sweat.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:06 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: First Time under the hood

Originally posted by male

Chill, it's fine. Besides, gas liquid isn't flammable, the vapors are, and it would take alot to cause a fire from engine heat. Just rinse it with some brake cleaner or Throttle body cleaner if you are that concerned. It probably evaporated by now. No sweat.
TB cleaner is worst..LOL
Old 11-07-2002, 03:25 PM

Thanks guys. I feel a lot better now. Like I always say only Maxima owners look out for each other like this.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:41 PM
STFU n00b!

DO NOT spray brake cleaner or TB cleaner on your paint.. it'll do nasty things to it.

best thing to do if you've got a bunch of gasoline on the car is to just hose it down with water, and maybe a little bit of car wash soap. gasoline washes away pretty easily, and I wouldn't worry about it anyway. I've changed my fuel filter several times and sprayed gasoline all over the engine bay. just don't fire up the car for a while and you'll be fine, or if you've got to go somewhere right then, hose the engine bay down with water, then fire it up and take off. be careful not to douse the distributor with water, or firing it up might be a bit of a challenge.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
DO NOT spray brake cleaner or TB cleaner on your paint.. it'll do nasty things to it.

best thing to do if you've got a bunch of gasoline on the car is to just hose it down with water, and maybe a little bit of car wash soap. gasoline washes away pretty easily, and I wouldn't worry about it anyway. I've changed my fuel filter several times and sprayed gasoline all over the engine bay. just don't fire up the car for a while and you'll be fine, or if you've got to go somewhere right then, hose the engine bay down with water, then fire it up and take off. be careful not to douse the distributor with water, or firing it up might be a bit of a challenge.
Good point..I was of course recommending this assuming that was a given. You can hit the tranny and suspension..no biggy. Yeah, be careful with the water too. Old electrical connections don't take too well to being doused.