3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How, um... Aggressively do you drive your 3rd Gen? Curious for comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 09:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How, um... Aggressively do you drive your 3rd Gen? Curious for comparisons

Im curious as to how, i guess, aggressively you guys drive your 3rd gens; more specifically in automatics, how quickly do you accelerate and have you car shift through each gear..you know what i mean? im just wondering because i think, and have been told that accelerating real fast all the time uses up gas more quickly and isnt as good for a 10 yr old car; i know it wastes gas in my moms jeep when i floor it everywhere....

I have a 1992 GXE, ~165k, NEW tranny at ~155k, ASA 17s, Wsp Y, Stillen exhaust, PR custom intake, upgraded spark plugs, FSTB, and some other nonperformance related stuff.. usually when i first drive my car in the morning after having it sit overnight, and even moreso now that its getting cold in MA, i let the rpms creep up to ~2 before i even let the car get into 2nd. my car also seems kinda sluggish in the morning but i am attributing that to the weather and the cars age, etc. once ive been driving around a little and the car is warmed up, you could say i drive the car pretty hard, at least i think i do. i know its an automatic and everything, but my rpms usually go to 5 or ~6 before my car shifts.. is that bad, given the mods i listed above and the fact that my tranny, alternator, timing belt/chain (i forget which one it is), torque converter, and mostly all other mechanical parts are no more than 10k old. how 'hard' do you automatic 3td gens drive?

sorry if this is confusing, i hope it makes enough sense that some ppl will have some comments. thanks

nick
Old 11-20-2002, 09:57 AM
STFU n00b!

It's a basic rule that the harder you drive the car, the quicker parts wear out and gas mileage goes down.

especially running ti to 5-6k at every shift is going to wear out the tranny and engine really quick. it's good that you're going easy on it until it warms up, but you still need to go easy on it most of the time... it's one thing to drive it hard every once in a while, but redlining it off every stoplight will wear things out extremely quickly.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:57 AM

i drive moderately meaning 5 or 10 mph over speed limit i'm young and cops love to target kids in imports. but on I-81 in new york if i see a civic or integra or pretty much anything that wants to go i go..
Old 11-20-2002, 11:23 AM

5-6k revs is high for regular driving (dunno what you'll do when you have to race )
After reading your post I conclude I dont drive my car hard at all...once in a while when on kansas backroads, I floor it and dont go more than 4-4500 revs. that seems good enough for me. I do exceed clock out once in a while though and even then, it still doesnt go past 4200revs at the highest, only cos I havent really pushed it. You are definitely wearing out your engine and worse, tranny by doing 5-6k constantly during daily driving. Take care of maxine and she'll take care of you.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:12 PM

I drove hard for the first couple of months after I got my car. Now, I drive like a grandpa. I've seen too many close calls and wrecks and it's really not worth driving like a nut just to get from point A to point B. However, I do some spirited driving every now and then.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:16 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

needle is not in the red..it's not going fast enough
Old 11-20-2002, 12:18 PM

most of the time i go easy on my car. prolly the only time that i do push it is when i'm changing lanes on the freeway. it's those times when they don't let you merge into their lane and u gotta floor it to pass him up...well u know what i mean
Old 11-20-2002, 12:21 PM

i have an '89 automatic SE...i drive it pretty hard...I am careful to make sure it has warmed up..usually not in the city though. I drive easy and just cruise. I save all the aggresive driving for the highways...
Old 11-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'90 auto. I usually take it easy but I travel on quite a few road trips. One time from IN to Kansas City, MO I drove about 110 average for about 2 hours. A few weeks ago took a 550 mile round trip and went about 90mph most of the way up I-65, I-80, I-95.

The transmission is kind of jerky around 50mph and 70mph occasionally. I need to be careful now.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:53 PM

yeah.. i actually exaggerated i guess, cuz i was paying closer attention to my rpms just this afternoon, and they're actually closer to 4-mid 5s, which isnt all that bad i guess. thanks for the replies though.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:08 PM

must go faster...

i have a 90se with 105k, i drive it slow and carefuly "almost" all the time..

my auto tranny is fine.. after it warms up for about 10 min. if i dont warm my car at all, i dont think it would move.

-i ran my tranny on almost 0 ATF during the summer.. (i did some damage) so now if i dont let my tranny warm for 10 min. it does not shift into the 3rd gear.
- i drive the car fast at times but i alawys find time to change out the oil and ATF.

Axles SUCK
Old 11-20-2002, 01:50 PM
STFU n00b!

axles are easy.. 30 min job for me. exhaust studs suck!
Old 11-20-2002, 03:54 PM

I drive my car for the most part pretty slow in the neighborhood, I only speed on the highway when it's empty and usually I let the car develop the speed instead of spanking it to gain speed. Downshifting is not done too often in my car only when some assho!e tries to tail gate me or something. I've been driving it a little hard since I got my new exhaust but that will end soon and I will resume my regular driving style. Also I only drive my car on friday. saturday and sunday the rest of the time it sleeps in the garage.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:08 PM

91 GXE

Ive pretty much made up my mind that Im gonna drive the Max forever... or until I get a R32 or 300ZX... but anways, I drive pretty conservatively to save on gas, but if I see a kid bumpin his music too loud, I give him/her the eye... too bad the peeps here are so ignorant, no one really races.

Also, any other GXE autos here have that A/t switch? Ive been doin mileage tests to see how much Power mode differs from normal... and come to the conclusion that it uses substantially more gas.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:26 PM

90 gxe

i would say i drive fairly fast, but not hard. most of the day i rarely exceed 3k rpms, even during acceleration. cruise at about 85 on the interstate. i am easy on the car mostly bc of my fear of killing the auto tranny. however, every now and then the max gets wrung out on the back roads. where i live its very mountainous, so i take the roads pretty fast. mostly though, im not brutal on the engine, i just conserve momentum through turns, which is hard on tires but i like to corner fast anyway. ive taken the max to two track events, but no autocrosses. just change fluids properly, check your parts for wear, and be smart and your car should take care of you just fine.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:05 PM

'93 auto SE. Usually don't get the rpm's very high for the first few miles. But what I like the most about my max is I know the power is there if and when I need it. When I step on the gas to pass someone, just the feeling of it kicking into overdrive gives me goosebumps.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:05 PM

I am really bad about driving my car too hard, I tend to always feel rushed everywhere I go, and I have to mentally remind myself that I dont have to be the first one to geth everywhere. I just dont feel right unless im going fast... in the long run, I will pay for my actions...
Old 11-20-2002, 09:39 PM

NCSUmax, are we related

I drive exactly the same, I always want to be infront of the traffic, I just dont like to follow people (looking at rear bumpers)

I would also say I drive pretty hard, lucky the tranny is a few months old (total overhaul, cause it was a f*$@ when i bought the car)

I got a pretty good reputation for driving like a maniac sometimes
hhahahahah

Australian 1992 SE automatic(178k)
Old 11-21-2002, 01:37 AM
Donating member? what the?!

I drive my car half grandpa and half 16-year old.
When I am in the city, and there is not a car in either of the 2 lanes (same direction), I enjoy a heart-felt depression of the accelerator control arm. I also enjoy 85-90 mph speeds in simular situations while operating my automobile. I would like to note that I never drive in the 3500 rpm range for more than 5 to 10 seconds; scared that the transmission may crack or explode during high rotation rates.

Ok, I also like to "downshift" (auto tranny we're speaking of) at a maximum speed of 75 mph when I need to pass a car or when someone cuts me off WITHOUT using the blinker. Had they used the BLINKER, which was put in placed for a SPECIFIC reason, I wouldn't be so heated.

Other than this, on days of bliss and harmony, I drive speed limits.

- 91 Maxima SE a leaking automatic transmission(something with the half-shaft).
Old 11-21-2002, 06:16 AM

91 Max Auto and i drive it like i stole it!
Old 11-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: must go faster...

Mine's fux0red too, but only when it's below 32 degrees. Mine is with the overdrive though...OD won't kick in until after I get on the freeway and click the button a couple times.

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
-i ran my tranny on almost 0 ATF during the summer.. (i did some damage) so now if i dont let my tranny warm for 10 min. it does not shift into the 3rd gear.
Old 11-23-2002, 02:59 PM

90' SE 5 Speed

I have a 90 SE 5 speed. I try to keep it mellow for the most part(especially since my clutch is trying to die on me) But i wont hesitate to drop 1 or 2 if i need to creame a honda or just take off for fun. I have 173,000 miles
Old 11-24-2002, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by NCSUmax
I am really bad about driving my car too hard, I tend to always feel rushed everywhere I go, and I have to mentally remind myself that I dont have to be the first one to geth everywhere. I just dont feel right unless im going fast... in the long run, I will pay for my actions...
i'll be dammed if you ain't tellin the truth on that....i feel the same way you do and now it has finally caught up with me....max has a bent frame and pretty much everything on the front drivers wheel is bent...all from hittin a curb.....i only have liability and still owe on the car...didn't know how i was gonna get it fixed or what, but i have a lil trick up my sleeve for the insurance company (should i have said that here)....the max will be back on the road hopefully....if it isn't considered totaled!!!
Old 11-24-2002, 03:38 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
I drove hard for the first couple of months after I got my car. Now, I drive like a grandpa. I've seen too many close calls and wrecks and it's really not worth driving like a nut just to get from point A to point B. However, I do some spirited driving every now and then.
same way here