3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

K&N question...............?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 06:32 PM

K&N question...............?

I just purchased a K&N air filter which isn't the cone version but I was wondering if there is any difference in the flat filter that goes into the housing compartment replacing the old air filter or the cone version of the K&N? Also, what is the general amount of extra horse power you get from the flat K&N that I just bought?
Old 12-14-2002, 06:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

from the flat K&N? Not much, if any. The cone filter will give you +5 or somewhere around there, but it sounds cool so its gotta be like 50+
Old 12-14-2002, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
from the flat K&N? Not much, if any. The cone filter will give you +5 or somewhere around there, but it sounds cool so its gotta be like 50+
Will I get a better sound at all with the flat one and enough horse power to make any difference?
Old 12-14-2002, 07:05 PM

i have that panal K&N for like 6 months now. just a slight...slight low end gain. but gas milage improved.
Old 12-14-2002, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Fosgate Fan
i have that panal K&N for like 6 months now. just a slight...slight low end gain. but gas milage improved.
So it's worth the $30 I paid for it?
Old 12-14-2002, 07:09 PM

Dude get a cone filter intake

Yes you will gain a little horsepower in the higher rpms with the cone. The flat will probably not do alot like KLoWnPR109 said. But you will notice that in the lowers rpms it lags(torque) a little with the cone. You will get a growl sound when you step on the gas. It is nice. It is the best thing you can do for about $30 bucks to your MAXIMA. GET THE CONE FILTER. EVEN BETTER FOR ABOUT $150 more you can get a WSP cold air intake but you have to put a hole in your wheel well.

Originally posted by aw89maxSE

Will I get a better sound at all with the flat one and enough horse power to make any difference?
Old 12-14-2002, 07:37 PM

So it's worth the $30 I paid for it?
some deal u got there. i paid 45 for mine
i'm going to get the K&N cone in the near future. i gotta experience this growl every on here is talking about
Old 12-14-2002, 08:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was thinking yeah right, how much noise can an air filter produce....but HOLEEE CRAP THAT SOUNDS NICE! It was worth the cone just to hear the ****!

some deal u got there. i paid 45 for mine
i'm going to get the K&N cone in the near future. i gotta experience this growl every on here is talking about
Old 12-14-2002, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Spipedong90
I was thinking yeah right, how much noise can an air filter produce....but HOLEEE CRAP THAT SOUNDS NICE! It was worth the cone just to hear the ****!

how much did u pay for yours?
me <-- broke college student hehe
Old 12-14-2002, 10:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mine was about 40 bucks I think...I bought it months ago and never put it on.

me also = broke student

how much did u pay for yours?
me <-- broke college student hehe
Old 12-15-2002, 12:19 AM

you can just get a generic APC filter for like 15 bucks at Autozone.......
Old 12-15-2002, 01:17 AM

me love my k&n air filter...

check out my pictures of it installed in my car...

My car Go to page two of the article

Old 12-15-2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
you can just get a generic APC filter for like 15 bucks at Autozone.......
yea but does it perform like the K&N? that's the only thing that is preventing me from buying that APC.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:39 AM

I think it does

I put a short ram intake on my Mom's 95 Interga LS. It has the real K&N cone filter on it. I can tell no difference between the cheaper APC I have on my maxima and her K&N filter. Now the one I had on before I put the APC on I did not like it because it had a different design. It got real dirty too quick. But that one is off the car right now.

yea but does it perform like the K&N? that's the only thing that is preventing me from buying that APC.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:34 PM

Re: I think it does

Originally posted by tightblue89
I put a short ram intake on my Mom's 95 Interga LS. It has the real K&N cone filter on it. I can tell no difference between the cheaper APC I have on my maxima and her K&N filter. Now the one I had on before I put the APC on I did not like it because it had a different design. It got real dirty too quick. But that one is off the car right now.

but you are comparing two differnt engines.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:06 PM

Re: Dude get a cone filter intake

Originally posted by tightblue89
Yes you will gain a little horsepower in the higher rpms with the cone. The flat will probably not do alot like KLoWnPR109 said. But you will notice that in the lowers rpms it lags(torque) a little with the cone. You will get a growl sound when you step on the gas. It is nice. It is the best thing you can do for about $30 bucks to your MAXIMA. GET THE CONE FILTER. EVEN BETTER FOR ABOUT $150 more you can get a WSP cold air intake but you have to put a hole in your wheel well.

So, just curious, any difference of sound with the flat K&N that is different from the normal air filter? I haven't put my K&N yet cuz my cars not back from the shop so I am just curious.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:08 PM

Re: Re: Dude get a cone filter intake

So, just curious, any difference of sound with the flat K&N that is different from the normal air filter? I haven't put my K&N yet cuz my cars not back from the shop so I am just curious.
Honestly, I've had the K&N on for a while now and don't notice any difference at all in terms of noise or performance. The only nice thing I can see about it is you don't have to replace it like you would a paper filter and the whole 50000 mile without cleaning thing.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:25 PM

Flat K&N variation

but you are comparing two differnt engines.
I put the flat one in mine and cut out the bottom of the airbox. I left just enough of the edges to hold the filter in place but now the filter is exposed just like a cone would be. Doing this made a vast difference versus leaving the box enclosed/original. I used a dremel tool to do it. You can hear it sucking air just like Darth Vader. I followed my wife home the other day in it and passed her, she said it sounded like a hot rod, not a ricer though. That's with no exhaust work done. I've never dyno'd the car so not sure what gain there is, but milage is up and seat of the pants hp went up.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:31 PM

Re: Flat K&N variation

Originally posted by 89sks

I put the flat one in mine and cut out the bottom of the airbox. I left just enough of the edges to hold the filter in place but now the filter is exposed just like a cone would be. Doing this made a vast difference versus leaving the box enclosed/original. I used a dremel tool to do it. You can hear it sucking air just like Darth Vader. I followed my wife home the other day in it and passed her, she said it sounded like a hot rod, not a ricer though. That's with no exhaust work done. I've never dyno'd the car so not sure what gain there is, but milage is up and seat of the pants hp went up.
Wow! That sounds great! Could you give me some more in depth instructions on how to cut the box and such? Any pictures?
Old 12-15-2002, 07:41 PM

Re: Re: Flat K&N variation

Wow! That sounds great! Could you give me some more in depth instructions on how to cut the box and such? Any pictures?
Well, I just took out the "snorkel" that ran from the box to behind the headlight. I then unbolted the airbox and took out the bottom part. I just looked it over and used the dremmel tool and cut out everything that was not essential to holding the filter in or attaching the box to the 4 or so attachment points. It was I think a plastic/drywall or something dremmel tool I got at Walmart for like $2.00. It looks like a mini drill bit but it has a funny spiral groove in it. Just make sure you leave the edges for the clips to clip onto and that hold the filter firmly in place against the top portion. I'll try to take some pics when I get my digital camera back. I think if you look at it you will see what i did.
Good luck.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Flat K&N variation

Originally posted by 89sks

Well, I just took out the "snorkel" that ran from the box to behind the headlight. I then unbolted the airbox and took out the bottom part. I just looked it over and used the dremmel tool and cut out everything that was not essential to holding the filter in or attaching the box to the 4 or so attachment points. It was I think a plastic/drywall or something dremmel tool I got at Walmart for like $2.00. It looks like a mini drill bit but it has a funny spiral groove in it. Just make sure you leave the edges for the clips to clip onto and that hold the filter firmly in place against the top portion. I'll try to take some pics when I get my digital camera back. I think if you look at it you will see what i did.
Good luck.
cool idea. can't wait to see some pics
Old 12-15-2002, 09:57 PM

yo da flat filter does jack i tink. u r better off paying extra $15-20 for a cone which makes a diffrence.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by HYPE_MAX
yo da flat filter does jack i tink. u r better off paying extra $15-20 for a cone which makes a diffrence.
well it may if the entire bottom portion of the stock stock filter housing is cut off. That way, air will get drawn in much easier than through that lil "snorkle." yes getting a cone will be much simpler hehe
Old 12-18-2002, 04:16 PM

I would hope your not buying the air filter not only for the HP increase, but also the quality of the cleaner. An APC might be able to get the same ammount of horsepower as a K&N but its probably not doing nearly as good of a job cleaning the air that the K&N can do.

more dirt = more wear

MrGone