3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help with a 91 SE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help with a 91 SE!

I have a 91 SE that ticks when I accelerate...does anyone know what that might possibly be? I read a maxfaq that said 3rd gens have a ticking problem but only the 92-94 SE, I have a 91! It seems to be coming from the engine are although some dude from midas told me it was a pipe at the bottom of my car...yeah good one! I opened my hood and pressed the gas and it's definatley something under my hood. I guess it could be VTC failure but I don't see how, I change my oil every 3,000 miles no expections. Can anyone help me out? No one seems to know! Thanks!
Old 01-08-2003, 07:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Help with a 91 SE!

You can't have VTC failure unless someone did an engine swap in your car, which is pretty unlikely (not impossible) the guy was telling you that it's probably an exhaust leak which it might be, my friend had an exhaust leak in his RSX typeS that did not sound like an exhast leak. But I lifted it up and sure enough there was a bolt missing on his downpipe. BUt most likely it is your lifters in your engine, and unless you are good friends with a mechanic this can be pretty pricy. you should probably get a second oppinion though.