3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help with a 91 SE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help with a 91 SE!

I have a 91 SE that ticks when I accelerate...does anyone know what that might possibly be? I read a maxfaq that said 3rd gens have a ticking problem but only the 92-94 SE, I have a 91! It seems to be coming from the engine are although some dude from midas told me it was a pipe at the bottom of my car...yeah good one! I opened my hood and pressed the gas and it's definatley something under my hood. I guess it could be VTC failure but I don't see how, I change my oil every 3,000 miles no expections. Can anyone help me out? No one seems to know! Thanks!
Old 01-08-2003, 05:55 PM

Someone sucks at the internet.

:waytogochamp:
Old 01-08-2003, 06:20 PM

search exaust studs....vg engines have a problem with those. Captain quad click
Old 01-09-2003, 10:03 AM

could we have another post please?
Old 01-09-2003, 10:30 AM

Re: Help with a 91 SE!

Originally posted by ghettogeek
I have a 91 SE that ticks when I accelerate...does anyone know what that might possibly be? I read a maxfaq that said 3rd gens have a ticking problem but only the 92-94 SE, I have a 91! It seems to be coming from the engine are although some dude from midas told me it was a pipe at the bottom of my car...yeah good one! I opened my hood and pressed the gas and it's definatley something under my hood. I guess it could be VTC failure but I don't see how, I change my oil every 3,000 miles no expections. Can anyone help me out? No one seems to know! Thanks!
1. You dont have VTC's

2. It wouldnt matter if you changed your oil at 3K miles, even if you had VTC's, they would still eventually fail.

3. If you have a loss of power its a broken exhaust manifold stud

4. If you have no loss of power then its an exhaust leak post-O2 Sensor. Check your exhaust system.

Use the search function next time. You will get flamed right off this site otherwise.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:37 PM

Thank Guys...I guess.

Most of you seemed to be more interested in the fact that I posted more than once. This leaves me to question what type of people are one here. I've looked at alot of profiles in the past few weeks and alot of you are still in high school which would explain the displays of immaturity I've seen on here. There are a few mature ones but unfortunatley none of them answered my post. I'm sorry if the server was slow and I wasn't sure I was posting. I actually came back on right now to try again. Good thing I didn't. I did however get a little bit of information. Thanks for helping me out but next time try not to be so rude with someone who is just learning. I guess this is what I get for posting on a site with guys who think they know everything about maximas. By the way...it could have something to do with changing my oil because VTC failure...although it happens anyways... not changing your oil will in fact cause it to happen SOONER. Thanks again guys, I know now not to ask another question.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

lifters maybe??
Old 01-09-2003, 01:14 PM

Re: Thank Guys...I guess.

Originally posted by ghettogeek
By the way...it could have something to do with changing my oil because VTC failure...although it happens anyways... not changing your oil will in fact cause it to happen SOONER. Thanks again guys, I know now not to ask another question.
I realize that. We werent talking about timing on VTC failure, we were talking about VTC failure period. But since you dont have them, it doesnt matter.

Anyway, do you have a power loss or not associated with this ticking sound?

I am trying to help you narrow it down a bit. Dont get defensive about the responses. You may have no idea that this very question has been asked a thousand times - granted. Let's see if we can get your problem solved.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:12 PM

That's fine, thanks for trying anyways. I relaize that this must have been asked before because of the responses, but I thought this was a new topic since I did search...and all I found were responses for the 92-94's. I know now that I don't have the VTC failure and so that's a good thing I'm assuming because I really don't even know what it is. It's probably something you'd have to look at to know for sure so I'll try bringing it to a shop. Anyone from the NE have any suggestions of where to go? I'm thinking to get my exhaust checked out because I had it redone this summer but only from the manifold back. Thanks agiain -
Old 01-09-2003, 09:04 PM

please hang in there, whoever you are

please, do not let a**holes on here let you down. they are just that. ignore them. they are insecure children and probably don't get laid much. there is good stuff to be learned here. just tough it out. part of it is "hazing." they think they're holier- than-thou because they have this logfile of facts, most of which are useless to most people, especially to girls, and they have no life. go to the forums for YOU. take what you need, leave the rest. i, too, am a newbie to this stuff. the ones who relpy are the ones worth learning from. f**k them.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:34 PM

Re: please hang in there, whoever you are

I agree on the probably not getting laid much part, lol. Thanks for your support! In all this hazing I feel like I'm joining a fraternity...himm...I didn't think that was possible for me, hah! May the newbies survive!!

Originally posted by bonzelite
please, do not let a**holes on here let you down. they are just that. ignore them. they are insecure children and probably don't get laid much. there is good stuff to be learned here. just tough it out. part of it is "hazing." they think they're holier- than-thou because they have this logfile of facts, most of which are useless to most people, especially to girls, and they have no life. go to the forums for YOU. take what you need, leave the rest. i, too, am a newbie to this stuff. the ones who relpy are the ones worth learning from. f**k them.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:40 PM

journey of a million miles starts with a single step

you can eat an elephant one bite at a time. nobody was born knowing all this sh*t. knowledge is power. but not to be lorded over the neophyte. the servant becomes the master. well, sometimes. anyway, use the force...