3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Ground VTC's and Nothing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 12:37 AM

Ground VTC's and Nothing...

My car had been running well with grounded VTC's. Sprayed the engine off, and now the noise is back
I checked for a signal in it but got none. What did I screw up? What needs fixed now?
ps, I tried regrounding them. Then tried grounding the other one. Nothing seems to work. Neither has any power going through the wire. Damnit, it was working perfect and now its not. Anyone know why I would not have power going to either of the wires?
Old 01-12-2003, 09:10 AM
Ford Only.

Re: Ground VTC's and Nothing...

Originally posted by Slither
My car had been running well with grounded VTC's. Sprayed the engine off, and now the noise is back
I checked for a signal in it but got none. What did I screw up? What needs fixed now?
ps, I tried regrounding them. Then tried grounding the other one. Nothing seems to work. Neither has any power going through the wire. Damnit, it was working perfect and now its not. Anyone know why I would not have power going to either of the wires?
It sounds like the ground came loose. Try just regrounding the first one really good and make sure you tape it up nice too. Then go from there, mine comes undone from time to time and starts ticking, but I wiggle the wire and it goes away.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:34 AM

I allready tried regrouding it. Tried using a new wire. Tried grouding the rear one also. The little rubber "boot" that goes into the selinoid plug is torn though and would have let water get into the plug. I am hoping that is what caused it. Im hoping that the water let the wires ground each other out. We will see I guess.
I just started the car and will know in a few moments.
Thanks for the advice though!
Old 01-12-2003, 09:50 AM

UPDATE::: I noticed a very strong smell lasat night after washing the engine off. Well, I unpluged the VTC selinoid and the plug itself is pretty burnt up. I really dont know what caused it as far as spraying it off, but that is definatly the problem.
ANyway, so what next? Replace the plug? The VTC selinoid? Anyone ever done this?
Thanks!
Old 01-12-2003, 10:03 AM

Also, I smelled the plug itself and that is where the smell was coming from. It is VERY distinctive.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:28 AM

ANOTHER UPDATE::: I went to Craig's site and looked at the schematic on the wiring. Found out what fuse to check to see why I had no power going to VTC's.
The fuse ended up being bad, so I replaced it. Started car, and the VTC plug smoked and blew fuse again. What does this mean? Its crossed somewhere, I do know that just gotta find out where.
If anyone has any input, send it my way! Thanks
Old 01-12-2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Slither
ANOTHER UPDATE::: I went to Craig's site and looked at the schematic on the wiring. Found out what fuse to check to see why I had no power going to VTC's.
The fuse ended up being bad, so I replaced it. Started car, and the VTC plug smoked and blew fuse again. What does this mean? Its crossed somewhere, I do know that just gotta find out where.
If anyone has any input, send it my way! Thanks
Are you sure you grounded the correct wire? Check to make sure.

Also check the connectors on the VTC, see if they are corroded. Clean them really well (both, connector and socket).
Old 01-12-2003, 11:05 PM

All it ended up being was the VTC plugs got wet and shorted, blew the fuse, HAHA
Who would have thought the VTC's and the brake light would have worked off the same fuse.
Thanks to the wiring schematic at craig's page, I got it fixed in no time
Thanks to all that offered advice
ps, the engine looks AWSOME!
Old 02-01-2003, 07:06 PM
A92se?

Sorry guys, but I'm new to this, so bare with me. I checked out Craig B's page on how to ground the VTC, but I'm kinda confused...Does the ground wire basically just need to touch the green/yellow wie to the VTC. That is, just splicing the green/yellow wire, not just tying the groung wire to the green/yellow. So, if I'm on the right track, I could just splice the VTC wire and wrap the ground wire around it, much like tying speaker wire together with electric tape? Note I said "could", not that I would be this careless with something like this; I just wanna know if I'm on the right track.

Old 02-02-2003, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by A92se?
Sorry guys, but I'm new to this, so bare with me. I checked out Craig B's page on how to ground the VTC, but I'm kinda confused...Does the ground wire basically just need to touch the green/yellow wie to the VTC. That is, just splicing the green/yellow wire, not just tying the groung wire to the green/yellow. So, if I'm on the right track, I could just splice the VTC wire and wrap the ground wire around it, much like tying speaker wire together with electric tape? Note I said "could", not that I would be this careless with something like this; I just wanna know if I'm on the right track.
Thats correct