3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 05:57 PM

brake upgrade

i saved up about 500 dollars now. i was wondering if this is enough for a good brake upgrade. i still have stock rims and tires. any brand recomendations? brembo would be nice but seems too expensive. any suggestions? thanks
Old 01-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: brake upgrade

Originally posted by Fosgate Fan
i saved up about 500 dollars now. i was wondering if this is enough for a good brake upgrade. i still have stock rims and tires. any brand recomendations? brembo would be nice but seems too expensive. any suggestions? thanks
You have more than enough! There is a group deal on Brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors - all 4 rotors for $180 plus about $33 for shipping. Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic Pads at Pep Boys - $102 for front and rear pads. Goodridge Stainless Steel Lines - $115 plus shipping. Synthetic High Temp Grease and CRC Anti Squeal compound $6 at Pep Boys. Front caliper pins if needed $23 for all 4 at Advance Auto. 3 cans of Brake Cleaner Spray - $6 for all 3 at any parts store. The Raybestos Pads come with self adhesive brake pad shims so I don't think you'll need brake kits. If you get pads w/o shims you might consider brake kits, need 1 for front brakes and 1 for rear brakes they cost about $23 each for a total of $46. Disk Brake Piston Removal Tool - $6 at Advance Auto, used to turn rear brake pistons clockwise to push piston back in. This would be an ideal time to paint your calipers using high temp paint and clear gloss paint - $10 for paint at Pep Boys. Also I would recommend getting a brake bleeding tool - $7 at most part stores. You also need brake fluid, I used Dot 3 fluid not Motul because of the water absortpion issue - $8 at part stores. I went with Brembo rotors and the Raybestos QS pads and am very satisfied and I strongly recommend them to you. If you go with the Raybestos pads you wouldn't need the brake kits and I haven't included them in the total shown below. I come up with a grand total of $496 for an absolutely first class brake upgrade and they really look good!! Hope this helps!
Old 01-17-2003, 07:16 PM

Re: Re: brake upgrade

Yeah..i don't reccomend investing $500 into stock sized brakes. doesn't quite make sense. Search for the prices of a big brake upgrade.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:21 PM

Re: Re: brake upgrade

Originally posted by karguy

You have more than enough! There is a group deal on Brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors - all 4 rotors for $180 plus about $33 for shipping. Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic Pads at Pep Boys - $102 for front and rear pads. Goodridge Stainless Steel Lines - $115 plus shipping. Synthetic High Temp Grease and CRC Anti Squeal compound $6 at Pep Boys. Front caliper pins if needed $23 for all 4 at Advance Auto. 3 cans of Brake Cleaner Spray - $6 for all 3 at any parts store. The Raybestos Pads come with self adhesive brake pad shims so I don't think you'll need brake kits. If you get pads w/o shims you might consider brake kits..........
damn dude!! looks like that's on YOUR list
Old 01-17-2003, 07:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: brake upgrade

Originally posted by Sudesh
Yeah..i don't reccomend investing $500 into stock sized brakes. doesn't quite make sense. Search for the prices of a big brake upgrade.
My concern with big brake kit is that he has stock rims, don't big brake kits require larger rims?
Old 01-17-2003, 07:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: brake upgrade

My concern with big brake kit is that he has stock rims, don't big brake kits require larger rims?
at least 17"s
Old 01-17-2003, 08:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: brake upgrade

Originally posted by lophix

damn dude!! looks like that's on YOUR list
Already installed, I am quoting what it cost me.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:45 PM

I have Brembo slotted rotors, and unless you just really like the idea of having them or the way they look, I would just buy some Brembo blanks. They will work just as well as the x-drilled or slotted rotors. Not very expensive at all. Then get some good brake pads (I love my Axxis Metal Master pads!) and some stainless steal lines and you are set. You'll probably have some money left over as well.

Going to a larger sized rotor can be hard using the stock wheel size, as mentioned. Even if you did look into this, I wouldn't go buy some expensive big brake kit, I would use some 300zx parts and come up with something.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:11 PM

yea that's my only problem...my stock rims. Plus i'm not planning to get any rims in the near future, most of my money goes to my university. . i just want something that will perform better than what i have now. there aren't any good stock-sized brake upgrades? most of the cars i see on here have like 17s. will just changing the pads to a better one improve any on my stock rotors? thanks again.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:39 PM

I've seen good results from Axxis metal master pads and SS brake lines. I agree with getting brembo blanks the slotted - X drilled would be just for looks in your case.

yea that's my only problem...my stock rims. Plus i'm not planning to get any rims in the near future, most of my money goes to my university. . i just want something that will perform better than what i have now. there aren't any good stock-sized brake upgrades? most of the cars i see on here have like 17s. will just changing the pads to a better one improve any on my stock rotors? thanks again.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:40 PM

Buy some SS brake lines, and some nice Metallic Pads (www.eatricezone.com) and you will be in good shape.

If you want to get new discs, go for Brembo blanks. Don't mess with slotted or drilled.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:05 AM

Hey I just changed my stock gear to Power Stop X-Drilled Rottors and some EBC Green Stuff Pads.... They are noisey at first until they break in, but they stop good as hell. Way better than the stock stuff. Pads $67 Rotors $120
Old 01-18-2003, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Lordrandall
Buy some SS brake lines, and some nice Metallic Pads (www.eatricezone.com) and you will be in good shape.

If you want to get new discs, go for Brembo blanks. Don't mess with slotted or drilled.
I bought my brakes from GR Racing as well. Call Phuong up, and give him some business. Great guy.

Goodrich SS lines
Axxis MM pads
Brembos blanks
Old 01-18-2003, 03:10 PM

those brembo blanks at eatricezone...they will fit my stock rims right? wanna make sure before i order.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:18 PM

those brembo blanks at eatricezone...they will fit my stock rims right? wanna make sure before i order.
When you order your rims make sure to tell them you have stock rims. I am sure they'll send you the right ones. They been at this a while!
Old 01-18-2003, 05:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: brake upgrade

ah yes, good point. I neglected to pay attention to that point in his message. Thanks
Old 01-18-2003, 06:06 PM

just curious, do these metal brake pads produce more or less brake dust? i kinda hate cleaning my rims from all the brake dust buildup. i know all pads will produce brake dust but how does the axxis pads compare to stock units?
Old 01-18-2003, 06:12 PM
STFU n00b!

they Axxis pads are a little worse on dust than stock pads, but they're not bad. they're about the least-dusting of any good pad out there. you'll be very happy with them.

Also.. the brembo discs only come in one size for our car. unless you order something that does not belong on a Max, then you'll get the right ones. all 3rd and 4th gen front brakes (pads, rotors, calipers) are the same.. rear pads are the same, but the calipers and rotors are slightly different.

anyway, just tell him what car you've got and he'll make sure you get the right stuff.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am running the Axxis pads and they produce less dust than the OEM pads, and less dust than a lot of aftermarket pads as well.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:14 PM

just curious, do these metal brake pads produce more or less brake dust? i kinda hate cleaning my rims from all the brake dust buildup. i know all pads will produce brake dust but how does the axxis pads compare to stock units?

My only experience Is with Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic Pads and OEM pads. The QS pads produce significantly less brake dust than OEM. In my case both pads were very quiet.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:34 PM
STFU n00b!

OR.... you could buy some aftermarket parts and build a brake kit like I did for about $550..

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pics/car/brakes/
Old 01-19-2003, 07:15 AM

thanks for all the info guys. i had a few close calls when the guy driving in front of me slammed his brakes for whatever reason and when i try to do a hard brake....i still kept going. my brakes works fine but i want better response and stopping power. i had to swerve onto the shoulders to avoid hitting him. that's why i decided to do an brake upgrade. thanks again for all the replies.

~fosgate fan
Old 01-19-2003, 10:18 AM
STFU n00b!

thanks for all the info guys. i had a few close calls when the guy driving in front of me slammed his brakes for whatever reason and when i try to do a hard brake....i still kept going. my brakes works fine but i want better response and stopping power. i had to swerve onto the shoulders to avoid hitting him. that's why i decided to do an brake upgrade. thanks again for all the replies.

~fosgate fan

if your stock rotors are in good shape still, but buy some better pads. that's the first and cheapest upgrade I would do and can make a WORLD of difference in the braking.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:00 AM

~fosgate fan
i know that feeling. even with a brake upgrade i would still swerve to the side so the guy in back of me doesn't rear end ME, cause i'm sure he won't have a brake upgrade..and the chain continues until you have a 5 car pile up.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
OR.... you could buy some aftermarket parts and build a brake kit like I did for about $550..

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pics/car/brakes/
Looked at all the pictures, nice ride too. Great job on the brakes. You got 2 Wilwood Calipers, 2 caliper adapters, 2 Powerslot rotors, front and rear pads, Brembo blanks and Stainless Steel lines for $550. Were you wearing a mask? How long did it take you to do the fronts and then the rears? I'm impressed!
Old 01-19-2003, 12:01 PM
STFU n00b!

oh yeah... no, that's actually several different jobs...

front wilwood kit cost be about $550 to build. I MADE the brackets.
the parts I purchased were:
Skyline R32 GTR front rotors. 12.2" x 1.25" $~250
wilwood dynalite calipers for 1.25" thick rotors. $~250
Wilwood Q series pads ~$50

Plus a few mics brake line fittings to adapt the goodridge SS lines to fit these calipers. $10-15.

the Powerslot rotors you see are new STOCK SIZED Max rotors. I had purchased those and then decided to build a big brake kit.. I simply held them up for comparison. sold them to another member a loooong time ago.

the REAR brake upgrade only cost me about $80 for new stock-sized Z31 rear rotors. believe they were from an '89.
use a caliper bracket from an 89-90 Max, and a caliper from a 91-94 Max and it's strictly bolt on.. the holes line up perfectly. only problem is that you need to make sur ethe parking brake cables are the same for the calipers you use. they have about 4 different ways to attach to the caliper, so just make sure you get the right one.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE

if your stock rotors are in good shape still, but buy some better pads. that's the first and cheapest upgrade I would do and can make a WORLD of difference in the braking.
i inspected my rotors today. everything seems fine, no visible cracks etc. what are other signs of a bad rotor? i'll just get those axxis pads for now and see how i like them. i'll get the rotors later on if i want more braking power.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:53 PM

i inspected my rotors today. everything seems fine, no visible cracks etc. what are other signs of a bad rotor? i'll just get those axxis pads for now and see how i like them. i'll get the rotors later on if i want more braking power.
I'd spend the money and have your rotors turned while your at it!
Old 01-19-2003, 05:47 PM
STFU n00b!

at least have them turned..

the only other spec on the factory rotors is the thickness.. if they can be turned and not be cut too thin, then you're fine. otherwise, plan on replacing the rotors.

BTW.. you still won't get any more "stopping power" with slotted rotors.. they're the same size as factory ones and made of the same metals. thus they won't benefit you much.. the difference is in HOW they're made, so they don't warp or crack as quickly as cheap rotors. that just means you won't blow them up as quickly if you drive like me...
Old 01-19-2003, 10:18 PM

Yeah, I have to add that the Axxis pads definately dust less than the OEM pads. I love not having to clean the wheels every week.