3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Got my warpspeed Ypipe on this morning....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 08:02 AM

Got my warpspeed Ypipe on this morning....

Nice fit. I didn't do any WOT from a standstill, but I did do one from ~80mph-105. No hitting at all.
Some impressions. First of all, at idle this car is quiet...VQ quiet. My cattman pipe always kinda hissed, even when new. I honestly hear none of that with this pipe, must be the lined flex piece. The warpspeed pipe has a hint, just a hint of a resonance when on the gas. It seems as if my sub 2000rpm is a tad weaker. I belive this pipe flows better so that may be the cause.

The culprit of the leak in my cattman was not a bad flex, but it cracked at one of the welds. I whis warpspeed was around when I bought it 3 years ago.

When on the gas at about 1/2 throttle the exhaust is louder with the warpspeed, but the loudness is comming from the muffler...it has a throater sound than the cattman...again, I think it flows better.

Overall, I'm very happy. One weird thing. As I pulled out of the muffler shop, I got a real nasty hesitation. Do you think the innards of the new pipe were burning off and send some crazy **** into the O2 sensor?

Mike S.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:24 AM

did u get a used or a new Y pipe put in?
Actually i am about to get rid of my stock pipe so am looking for a new or used one...how much was the warpspeed Y?...how much was the labor on the replacement?
thanks
Old 01-24-2003, 10:24 AM

well so much for the nice fit. It bangs/vibrates at anything more than 1/3 throttle from a stop. How should I go about fixing this. I don't want just have the shop take to it with a hammer. I want to be able to tell them what to do. I take it the sway bar is probably the only spot it can really hit? I'm pretty sure that under hard acceration the front of the engine comes up, the rear bank goes down, so the pipe is being pushed down? Make sense?
Old 01-24-2003, 10:27 AM

drstillpatient: I got the stainless steel version(so it won't rust in our buffalo winters). It was 275 plus 15 for shipping so 290 total. The "Cole Muffler" chain put it on for 54 bucks plus tax.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.
drstillpatient: I got the stainless steel version(so it won't rust in our buffalo winters). It was 275 plus 15 for shipping so 290 total. The "Cole Muffler" chain put it on for 54 bucks plus tax.

thanks.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally posted by Mike S.
well so much for the nice fit. It bangs/vibrates at anything more than 1/3 throttle from a stop. How should I go about fixing this. I don't want just have the shop take to it with a hammer. I want to be able to tell them what to do. I take it the sway bar is probably the only spot it can really hit? I'm pretty sure that under hard acceration the front of the engine comes up, the rear bank goes down, so the pipe is being pushed down? Make sense?
I have a VE, so it may be slightly different, but there is a hanger for the old y-pipe that the WSP doesn't use for support. This can rub against the pipe and cause the vibration. I had my mechanic bend it out of the way to see if it was the culprit -- and it was. He then just hacked it off. Problem solved. Hope that helps.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's got something to do with the front sway bar. When I bought mine, DanNY told me that I might have problems with that.

BTW, the smell will wear off eventually, When I got my ricer muffler installed, it smelled for about two days.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:07 AM

Well, I had the shop heat it up a bit and bend it with a crow bar. It helped a bit, but it still vibrates through most of 1st under WOT. They didn't dent it as much as i'd like. It needs to have a nice pushed in part to fit.

They think the motor mounts are weak, which could very well add to the problem, but it would be a dead issue if the stock piece was up there.

I'm still very happy with the pipe. I KNOW it flows better than the cattman, and the sound is much better. The car has a deeper tone even with the stock muffler. But when your just crusing slow its dead silent. The cattman pipe(with or without the crack) always hissed and sounded lousy.

KLoWnPR109: I can still smell the pipe after some spirited tests after the adjustment.

Well, I'll keep adjusting it till its right.