3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I really need some help!!! Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 09:14 AM

I really need some help!!! Please

I was getting a rattling kinda noise coming from my drive belt pulleys but it was only after a cold start and then went away once the car warmed up. But today I went out and started my car and went back in the house until it warmed up once I went back outside it was still making the noise. I dont know what to do I checked the belts and there on tight I felt the pulleys to see if any was loose but they werent so I dont know what else to do. Someone please help, should I not drive the car until I figure out whats wrong I really dont know what to do.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:00 AM

um

well......mine was doing that. And I had to replace my timing belt and timing tensioner. sorry I had to tell you that.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:02 AM

Re: um

Originally posted by 93maxVG
well......mine was doing that. And I had to replace my timing belt and timing tensioner. sorry I had to tell you that.

Timing Belt? I thought we had timing chains?
Old 01-26-2003, 10:13 AM

Re: Re: um

Originally posted by my2ndmax

Timing Belt? I thought we had timing chains?
no no, well it might depend on what year you have maybe, but I have a belt.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: um

Originally posted by 93maxVG

no no, well it might depend on what year you have maybe, but I have a belt.
I have a 92SE I thought they had timing chains. But anyway was the sound coming from the three drive belt pulleys? What would they have to do with your timing chain.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:33 AM

I was just saying, that was my symptom and that was my problem. Otherwise, you might have a bad bearing in one of the pulleys thats making the rattling sound. Like in the compressor, or h2o pump, or something to that effect.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my2nd max,
u have a timing chain. U probably have a worn bearing in one of the pully. To check, remove one of the belt and start the car up. Hopefully u can pinpoint the pulley. I hope its not your vtc because u do have a 92 se!
Old 01-26-2003, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by phat
my2nd max,
u have a timing chain. U probably have a worn bearing in one of the pully. To check, remove one of the belt and start the car up. Hopefully u can pinpoint the pulley. I hope its not your vtc because u do have a 92 se!

Thanks a lot Phat I will try to check them tomorrow. I know what the VTC sounds like but this is more like a rattle kinda not really a tick. How much would the bearing cost me and is this something that I could do myself?
Old 01-26-2003, 05:20 PM

Thanks a lot Phat I will try to check them tomorrow. I know what the VTC sounds like but this is more like a rattle kinda not really a tick. How much would the bearing cost me and is this something that I could do myself?

If it is the pulley, then the cost of fixing the pulley depend on which pulley. You have 4 things that can give the problem that u just noted: compressor, alternator, power steering pump, and water pump. U can save yourself some time and money by taking the component to the appropriat shop and have them replace the bearing. If it is the pulley, U hope its the alternator. Somehow I think its either your alternator or your water pump, but I am leaning toward the water pump. From what I've read on your other posting, I don't think you can do it your self, but who I am I to say that u can't!
Old 01-26-2003, 05:24 PM

If it is the pulley, then the cost of fixing the pulley depend on which pulley. You have 4 things that can give the problem that u just noted: compressor, alternator, power steering pump, and water pump. U can save yourself some time and money by taking the component to the appropriat shop and have them replace the bearing. If it is the pulley, U hope its the alternator. Somehow I think its either your alternator or your water pump, but I am leaning toward the water pump. From what I've read on your other posting, I don't think you can do it your self, but who I am I to say that u can't!

LOL
So youve read my other post.
Yeah Im hoping to get a FSM but until then I guess I'll just have to pay. Will this damage my car though if I continue to drive it or should I just park it until I can pay to get it fixed?
Old 01-26-2003, 05:38 PM

LOL
So youve read my other post.
Yeah Im hoping to get a FSM but until then I guess I'll just have to pay. Will this damage my car though if I continue to drive it or should I just park it until I can pay to get it fixed?

Like I mentioned, it all depends on which parts is going bad. If u can use other type of transportation, use it until u have the money to pay for the repair. If u use your car now, the condition will worsen and who knows what will happen. But again, maybe I am just jumping to conclusions and its just nothing. I don't know, but I've heard it's very cold tomorrow
Old 01-26-2003, 05:41 PM

Like I mentioned, it all depends on which parts is going bad. If u can use other type of transportation, use it until u have the money to pay for the repair. If u use your car now, the condition will worsen and who knows what will happen. But again, maybe I am just jumping to conclusions and its just nothing. I don't know, but I've heard it's very cold tomorrow
Yeah Phat I think I'll take the safe road and catch the bus to school tomorrow. Thanks a lot for all of your help I really appreciate it. Hopefully when I get my FSM and become a little more knowlegeable I can help a novice out like you did me.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:49 PM

Yeah Phat I think I'll take the safe road and catch the bus to school tomorrow. Thanks a lot for all of your help I really appreciate it. Hopefully when I get my FSM and become a little more knowlegeable I can help a novice out like you did me.

Ouch! Taking SEPTA is no fun in this cold weather. What school do u attend.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:58 PM

Ouch! Taking SEPTA is no fun in this cold weather. What school do u attend.
Community College

So your from Philly too?
Old 01-26-2003, 06:08 PM

Community College

So your from Philly too?

ccp? yep!
Old 01-26-2003, 06:10 PM

ccp? yep!
Yeah Im at CCP. Where are you in Philly?
Old 01-26-2003, 06:17 PM

Yeah Im at CCP. Where are you in Philly?

Willow Grove. How about u? When did ccp begin their spring semester?
Old 01-26-2003, 06:19 PM

Willow Grove. How about u? When did ccp begin their spring semester?

I am from the City Line Ave. area not too far from St. Josephs University. The spring semester began the second week of January.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:15 PM

Well I dropped my car off today. He called me and said that it is the pulley for the ac that is making the noise. They want 65.00 for the part and 130.00 for labor. Now I just have to scrape up the money some how and my car will be back to normal.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by my2ndmax
[B]Well I dropped my car off today. He called me and said that it is the pulley for the ac that is making the noise. They want 65.00 for the part and 130.00 for labor. Now I just have to scrape up the money some how and my car will be back to normal. :
Old 01-29-2003, 08:25 PM

Got my car back today. With the brand new idler pulley and it drives like new.