3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

For those who do it yourself

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 03:02 PM

For those who do it yourself

I am looking to do a number of repairs on my own to save myself some money that I can use towards my motorcycle and I am curious to know what type of jack should I use. A lot of work will be done on the front end: ( brakes, engine, clutch, a list of things I am going to upgrade or just replace). I learned through the search, Thanks Matt, Craig and a host of others, a list of tools need and where to rent what I don’t have or need long term.

My concern is the floor jack. I wish I could rent a garage for a day or two to use the lift, but doesn’t seem possible in NYC. I am not sure as to what kind I should buy, a 3 1/2 ton, 4 ton or who knows. I have noticed Sears has good sales on them from time to time and mechanics tools sets as well and I just don’t want to buy something that is not going to hold up the car well (I’m sure you know why!!)

I’d be thankful for any insight you guys can provide.

I’d like to also take time say thanks again to all you guys on the org. I can damn near take this car apart and put it together because of this site’s "search" and homepages of some of the members. I see where it gets heated from time to time on certain threads but in the end you guys work it out and that’s cool. I’m hoping to get my own site and try to take pictures as well and contribute something back to the org.

So big props and continued success to all on the board.

Ron
93SE5SPNY
Old 01-30-2003, 03:07 PM
I'm needing a caw

I suggest you buy the biggest one you can afford. The small ones suck because the arm's throw is too damned short and the jack "pad" is so small. So as the capacity goes up, usually the jack's arm and pad size also increases. Also buy some quality stands that can be ajusted to a decent height. Too short and you not be able to get the car raised up enough to work under the car(same goes for the jack).

I have my dad's old hydraulic jack from the farm and the arm is at least 3ft long!
Old 01-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I got a nice craftsman 3 ton jack set with 2 jack stands and lots of other goodies (stool, jumper cables, wheel chocks, lug wrench, vinyl cover) for $100 on sale about a month ago.

like Jeff said, a bigger base on the head of the jack is nice and longer arm will help

it's pretty much like this one (which is $99 with jack stands until 2/1)

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00950134000

that is a good sized one; I would stay away from the ones that are smaller and less than $50
you'll have this jack for MANY years so spend a little now and it'll pay off later

as for tools, craftsman is pretty good stuff too and has lifetime replacement

3 ton is plenty for the maxima and most any sedan; unless you get a Suburban or something, it should be fine
Old 01-30-2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I suggest you buy the biggest one you can afford. The small ones suck because the arm's throw is too damned short and the jack "pad" is so small.
i agree. make sure you do get 4 jack stands though. Don't rely only on the jack alone for support. They also come in handy for other things besides holding the car up....(like holding your brake calipers up while you change your suspension to prevent stress on the lines)
gl and have fun.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:21 PM
Large Member

I'm not sure if you have a Sam's Club there in NY (I'm guessing not) but they sell stuff wholesale. I got a 3.5 ton jack for about $45!!! That was the best christmas present I've ever received. It's especially good after working under my car with one of those small jacks, nearly getting crushed when it sprung a oil leak and it slowly letting the car down. Definitely get a 3.5-4 ton jack if you can afford/find one.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by Shadow1198
I'm not sure if you have a Sam's Club there in NY (I'm guessing not) but they sell stuff wholesale. I got a 3.5 ton jack for about $45!!! That was the best christmas present I've ever received. It's especially good after working under my car with one of those small jacks, nearly getting crushed when it sprung a oil leak and it slowly letting the car down. Definitely get a 3.5-4 ton jack if you can afford/find one.
Thats why you NEVER and I mean NEVER work under a car without jack stands holding it up. You NEVER trust just a jack even a good one.

NEVER.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:04 PM
Large Member

I had jackstands supporting it. It still scares the sh*t out of you when the car starts lowering towards you!

Good luck with your car Ron! It's fun working on these Maximas. Keep up the great work.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by Shadow1198
I had jackstands supporting it. It still scares the sh*t out of you when the car starts lowering towards you!

Good luck with your car Ron! It's fun working on these Maximas. Keep up the great work.
Ok thats better...just trying to keep the max community safe.

I always lower the car onto the jack stands for support then just leave the jack under for extra support.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:47 PM
STFU n00b!

yup.. even jackstands can slip though...

http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pics/car/disk2/

I've got a 3.5 ton craftsman pro jack. only thing I don't like about it is that it weighs about 90lb!! try throwing that in the back seat when you take the car to auto-X!!!

my wife bought it for me for about $100 last christmas, and I picked up 4 jackstands for about $30 at wal-mart.

they get high enough for me to crawl under the car on my hands and knees.. not exactly something you should be doing, but you get the picture.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:00 AM

Harberfrieght tools sells stuff cheap
Old 01-31-2003, 05:39 AM

Thanks a million

Once again you guys have come through. I am going to spend a little more money up front to get the good stuff, so I don't pay the price later. We do have a version of Sam's Club called costco and BJ's Wholesale and they do have good automotive stuff and of course Sears.

I am going out next weekend to pick it up and now I am sure what to look for and buy without a bunch of doubt.

Thanks again to all who answered and wished me well. I can't wait till this cold weather breaks.

All the best to the org.
Ron
93SE5SPNY
Old 01-31-2003, 07:46 AM

Harberfrieght tools sells stuff cheap
I'm currently replacing my water pump and thermostat, and I have the front end sitting on two 3-ton jack stands and two 6-ton jack stands. As mykizism stated, Harbor Freight tools sells decent tools for damn good prices. I bought the set of 3-ton stands for $11.99 and I paid $18.99 for a pair of 6-ton stands. I figured since I had the extra safety items, use them!!! Better to be safe, than sorry.

Frank
Old 01-31-2003, 09:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what have been said about jack & jack stand is true, but it all depends on how much space u have. U don't want to carry that up and down the stairs. I use the small jack in my trunk w/stand just in case of an emergency & I hate using the jack that came with our cars. I have been using the small jack for many years and have done almost everything.