3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

93 SE EGR Valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

93 SE EGR Valve

I need help in the replacement of an egr valve, 93 SE. Where do all of the hoses go? How do I remove the old one. Any warnings or precautions?
Thanks for everyone's help.
John
Old 03-07-2003, 06:24 PM

Re: 93 SE EGR Valve

Originally posted by John W.
I need help in the replacement of an egr valve, 93 SE. Where do all of the hoses go? How do I remove the old one. Any warnings or precautions?
Thanks for everyone's help.
John
How do you know the old one is bad? Do you have a Cali. spec. maxima?

The EGR on the max is made really well compared to some others that I've seen. I have in the past cleaned the carbon build up inside the valve, the way I did it was a little complicated and you sound new to repairs/maintanance.

If there were enough carbon build up inside where the valve is (inside the EGR) it would prevent the valve from fully closing and this would cause rough idle and possibly stall the engine.

There is a metal tube that is on the right side of the EGR, this tube runs down to the main exhaust pipe. If you were to disconnect both ends and remove this pipe, you could then use a circular brush (brass if you can find one) to get inside the area of the EGR and free up any carbon build up in there. You could also use a tooth brush if it were small enough to fit inside the inlet of the EGR. While cleaning you would have to manually operate the EGR with you hand, this is simple to do, just place your fingers under the top can looking part of the EGR and pull up, it should move up and down when you pull (This opens and closes the inside where you are sticking the brush to do cleaning). Also while cleanig you can spray some 'throttle body cleaner' inside the EGR or on the brush (You should only do this when the engine is cold and OFF, to prevent igniting the cleaner).

When you re-install the pipe you should use some anti-seeze grease on the threads of both ends of the pipe.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: 93 SE EGR Valve

Originally posted by eric93SE

How do you know the old one is bad? Do you have a Cali. spec. maxima?

The EGR on the max is made really well compared to some others that I've seen. I have in the past cleaned the carbon build up inside the valve, the way I did it was a little complicated and you sound new to repairs/maintanance.

If there were enough carbon build up inside where the valve is (inside the EGR) it would prevent the valve from fully closing and this would cause rough idle and possibly stall the engine.

There is a metal tube that is on the right side of the EGR, this tube runs down to the main exhaust pipe. If you were to disconnect both ends and remove this pipe, you could then use a circular brush (brass if you can find one) to get inside the area of the EGR and free up any carbon build up in there. You could also use a tooth brush if it were small enough to fit inside the inlet of the EGR. While cleaning you would have to manually operate the EGR with you hand, this is simple to do, just place your fingers under the top can looking part of the EGR and pull up, it should move up and down when you pull (This opens and closes the inside where you are sticking the brush to do cleaning). Also while cleanig you can spray some 'throttle body cleaner' inside the EGR or on the brush (You should only do this when the engine is cold and OFF, to prevent igniting the cleaner).

When you re-install the pipe you should use some anti-seeze grease on the threads of both ends of the pipe.
Thanks for the information. Actually,
I just had the engine rebuilt. There is a problem with the egr system according to the electronic diagnostics. We noticed that one hose is not connected to anything. That is why I need to know where the hoses go from the egr valve.
Let me know if you can help.
Thanks,
John