3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wheel Help Needed ASAP Since SEARCH is down...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wheel Help Needed ASAP Since SEARCH is down...

OK, guys...

I'm looking to purchase a 18" wheel & tire package, but I'm concerned because I'm also going to have to replace the stock suspension. I'm looking into the KYB GR-2s for struts, but I need advice on springs to match up witht the struts. Since I want 18s, I'm not sure which springs to go with because I want to make sure I don't run the risk of any rubbing when I'm carrying passengers (BTW - the wheel package is a set of BSA 291's (18x7.5), 5x114.3 bolt pattern, +40mm offset). The tires are Nankang NS-2s (225/40/R/18). My neighbor had a 94 GXE with 18s, but I don't think he did anything to his suspension, and I'm unaware if there were any issues with rubbing or not. I've got to have the suspension redone because I'm getting uneven tire wear on my stocks right now, so I want to make sure that I upgrade the suspension before I mount the wheels/tires. Low profile 18s are expensive as is - I don't want to wear them out unnecessarily.

I'm looking to make a move on this package within the next 2 days, so unless the search feature returns to us by then, I'm going to need your help ASAP!!!

Thanks in advance, guys!!!
Old 03-12-2003, 11:12 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Wheel Help Needed ASAP Since SEARCH is down...

Originally posted by Pit5Bull
OK, guys...

I'm looking to purchase a 18" wheel & tire package, but I'm concerned because I'm also going to have to replace the stock suspension. I'm looking into the KYB GR-2s for struts, but I need advice on springs to match up witht the struts. Since I want 18s, I'm not sure which springs to go with because I want to make sure I don't run the risk of any rubbing when I'm carrying passengers (BTW - the wheel package is a set of BSA 291's (18x7.5), 5x114.3 bolt pattern, +40mm offset). The tires are Nankang NS-2s (225/40/R/18). My neighbor had a 94 GXE with 18s, but I don't think he did anything to his suspension, and I'm unaware if there were any issues with rubbing or not. I've got to have the suspension redone because I'm getting uneven tire wear on my stocks right now, so I want to make sure that I upgrade the suspension before I mount the wheels/tires. Low profile 18s are expensive as is - I don't want to wear them out unnecessarily.

I'm looking to make a move on this package within the next 2 days, so unless the search feature returns to us by then, I'm going to need your help ASAP!!!

Thanks in advance, guys!!!
I think D-Sta has 18's and upgraded suspension. Might wanna ask him.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:41 AM

You might need a small spacer in the back, but the fronts will be fine. If you want the wheels, I'd go ahead and order them, and get spacers if you need to, they are very cheap for some generic 3mm size, and you probably won't need more than that.

Springs are up to you, I'd go with Eibach.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thank you gentlemen...

I appreciate the input and advice. I'll let you know how everything works out!