3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Running Poorly

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 02:39 PM

Running Poorly

Heres the deal. You may or may not have seen my other posts about My check engine comming on with code 51 (Fuel injector circuit open). So I pulled all the plugs and the plug on my # 5 cylinder was soaked in gas and oil. Called around and decided it was a leaky injector. So i pull; everything apart and do the resistance test on it and everything seems fine. 12.3 right were its supposed to be. My question is does anyone know the possibility for the flooded cylinder with the code 51? I already orderd a new injector so i guess if no one has any ideas ill put that in when i get it and put everything back and if its still F'ed up ill have to get raped at the dealership for "diognostic tests" Thanks for your help. -sean
Old 03-20-2003, 02:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

The o-rings that seal the injector to the injector rail could have been leaking. Ask Da-Max about that one. Buy new 0-rings and reinstall the injector and see if that helps. The 0-rings are very cheap. Also see if the connector to the injector is clean and not corroded.

Then post the results.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
The o-rings that seal the injector to the injector rail could have been leaking. Ask Da-Max about that one. Buy new 0-rings and reinstall the injector and see if that helps. The 0-rings are very cheap. Also see if the connector to the injector is clean and not corroded.

Then post the results.
heres what happend. . . . ordered new(remanufactured injector) with new o-rings. and all the gaskets for the intake,aac valve, all that stuff. replaced the injector, re-assembled everything. . . and the problem still exhists. took it to the dealership they told me i have a "gas leak" somewhere leaking into the cylinder. i didnt feel like paying 450 so they could take everything apart to find the leak so the service guy said to try a "new" OEM injector and if the problem still exhist then its somthing else. He says remanufactured injectors somtimes cant hold all the pressure back so they leak. Also when the new injector was installed and i reset the ecu the check engine light didnt come back on even when i drove it around. any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2003, 12:04 AM
I'm needing a caw

I bet you installed one of the injectors wrong. ie.. pinched one of the o-rings. That will allow fuel to flow past the injector even if it's closed. Did you lubricate the o-rings before re-installing them into rail?

It could be a bad injector. Take a look at the plugs. See if one is wet/dark/sooty
Old 03-27-2003, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I bet you installed one of the injectors wrong. ie.. pinched one of the o-rings. That will allow fuel to flow past the injector even if it's closed. Did you lubricate the o-rings before re-installing them into rail?

It could be a bad injector. Take a look at the plugs. See if one is wet/dark/sooty
no, i didnt lube the o rings. good idea. i have to take everything apart today so ill try that then ill turn the key to the "on" position and see if the cylinder fills up with gas if it does ill try the same thing with the oem injector and if it still does it then ill have to take it in i guess
Old 03-27-2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by ocMax

no, i didnt lube the o rings. good idea. i have to take everything apart today so ill try that then ill turn the key to the "on" position and see if the cylinder fills up with gas if it does ill try the same thing with the oem injector and if it still does it then ill have to take it in i guess

well i lubed the rings and so far so good. it started right up and seemed to be smooth and normal. i guess ill know when i drive it around a lil. thanks for the help