3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

o2 sensor and power

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 12:28 PM
rustangkilla

o2 sensor and power

Search down

My car seems to be losing power over the last couple of weeks. The ol' VG just doesn't have the low end punch it used to.

Would a bad o2 sensor cause this? I don't think its ever been done, and the car has over 150k miles.

I would like to put the new one in myself; on a scale of 1-10, 10 hardest, how hard is the job on the VG? What o2 sensor do you guys recommend, what other parts do I need, and how much should it cost?

Thanks in advance!

89 SE

Old 03-31-2003, 12:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i would check and make sure your cat isnt clogged i had that happen about a month ago my car got slower every week at first i thought it was heat soaked but i had my knock sensor bypassed and after the 3rd week i could berly do a 100 on the highway put the straight pipe in and everything retured to normal just an idea o2 sensor is a 2 on a ve but ive never done won on a vg so i dont know but proboly not any harder
Old 03-31-2003, 07:42 PM
rustangkilla

I don't think its the cat, exhaust shop said it looked ok bout 6 months ago when my Y-pipe got put on.

I'm getting 18 mpg stop and go only, don't know if thats good or bad, but the power loss seems to be there.

Any other things to replace besides o2 sensor?

Old 03-31-2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by rustangkilla
I don't think its the cat, exhaust shop said it looked ok bout 6 months ago when my Y-pipe got put on.

I'm getting 18 mpg stop and go only, don't know if thats good or bad, but the power loss seems to be there.

Any other things to replace besides o2 sensor?
that is good milage for an old max.. that is about 288 miles on a tank.. compared to most other who get about 220.. i get anywhere from 280stop and go to almost 420 all highway driving.. and that was a trip to RI and Back from nyc.. on one tank..
Old 03-31-2003, 11:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That's good mileage? 288 on a tank of gas for a Max in stop and go is pretty low. My max has almost 175k and I still get at least 400 miles to a tank mixed freeway / highway. All freeway and I easily push 450 plus and I have done 500 not to long ago.

One thing I have noticed is that with this very mild spring the air is a lot warmer and since I don't have a CAI just a pop charger the engine is sucking in a lot of hot air. This in turn makes the old VG feel like she's breathing pretty hard and some times feel dog slow at times especially when the tranny stays in a high gear instead of downshifting.

So just a thought, could it be because of temperature?