3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

coil-overs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 05:17 AM

coil-overs?

Aloha from the 808 state,
I have recently been trying to find coil-overs for our 3rd generation Maxima. I have checked many big companies such as stealin' I mean Stillen , Jim Wolf, KYB, Tokiko, Koni, Tein and the list goes on and on with no luck. Does anyone out there know any sight or company that offers coil-overs for our Maxima? Anyone have any? Anyone know anyone who has a set? Any kind of information will be greatly appreciated!!
Yoshi
Old 04-03-2003, 05:25 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: coil-overs?

Originally posted by sukoshiyoshi
I have recently been trying to find coil-overs for our 3rd generation Maxima. I have checked many big companies such as stealin' I mean Stillen , Jim Wolf, KYB, Tokiko, Koni, Tein and the list goes on and on with no luck. Does anyone out there know any sight or company that offers coil-overs for our Maxima? Anyone have any? Anyone know anyone who has a set? Any kind of information will be greatly appreciated!!
Yoshi
First of all Yoshi, aloha to YOU and welcome to the ORG! As for your question, they don't make coilovers for 3rd Gen Maximas. However, rumor has it that the suspension "geometry" on later model Sentras is almost exactly similar to that of a 3rd Gen, and they DO make coilovers for that car. I don't think anyone's been brave enough to shell out that kinda money to test that theory out. But you're welcome to be our little "test monkey" in that regard.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:11 AM

coil overs

would the groung controlls for the 95 maxima fit our 3rd gen maximas
Old 04-03-2003, 06:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: coil overs

Originally posted by maxima 94
would the groung controlls for the 95 maxima fit our 3rd gen maximas

Short answer is no!
Old 04-03-2003, 08:24 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: coil overs

Originally posted by ObsidianIce69

Short answer is no!
Shoot! Short AND long answer would be no!
Old 04-03-2003, 10:17 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: Re: Re: coil overs

Originally posted by nubiannupe

Shoot! Short AND long answer would be no!
no long answer would be not yet but someone (will not be mentioned names here) is working on it.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:05 PM

on the subject of coil-overs

sorry, i'm definitely a newb compared to most other people here (or at least those who show their faces on the forum) but, how do coil-overs fit into the suspension picture? what is the difference between coil-overs and springs? thanks a lot.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:24 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Re: Re: Re: Re: coil overs

Originally posted by awsm66

no long answer would be not yet but someone (will not be mentioned names here) is working on it.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:42 PM
STFU n00b!

do a little searching online on the subject and you'll find tons of pictures and descriptions of coil overs.

essentially, they use an adjustable lower perch and smaller, stiffer springs (which you can get in just about any length & stiffness).. so you can adjust ride height and spring rates much easier than just a regular set of lowering springs.

provide MUCH better handling over anything you can buy as a direct bolt-on for the car.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:08 PM

will do.

Originally posted by Matt93SE
do a little searching online on the subject and you'll find tons of pictures and descriptions of coil overs.

essentially, they use an adjustable lower perch and smaller, stiffer springs (which you can get in just about any length & stiffness).. so you can adjust ride height and spring rates much easier than just a regular set of lowering springs.

provide MUCH better handling over anything you can buy as a direct bolt-on for the car.
thanks for the speedy reply.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:07 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: coil overs

Originally posted by awsm66

You HAD to go mention HIM, huh?
Old 04-05-2003, 10:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: coil overs

Apart from ground control custom making a set, there's also another option. Make it yourself. Look on 240sx.org at the installations page. you can definitely do that to a maxima. Your choice of spring rates also.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: coil overs

Sudesh,
Thanks for the heads up!! I will most definately check that sight out. Has anyone ever thought of doing coil-overs to their Maxima? I know that I can't be the first!! Has anyone tried to do one? Or has everyone quit because the part was not offered? What ever the care I want to thank all of you that have replied to my questions!! I really appreciate all the info, and I am always looking for more!!
Old 04-06-2003, 09:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: coil-overs?

pm'd you.

Yoshi
Old 04-06-2003, 09:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: coil overs

Sudesh,
Thanks for the heads up!! I will most definately check that sight out. Has anyone ever thought of doing coil-overs to their Maxima? I know that I can't be the first!! Has anyone tried to do one? Or has everyone quit because the part was not offered? What ever the care I want to thank all of you that have replied to my questions!! I really appreciate all the info, and I am always looking for more!!

lots of people mention coil overs, however lots of people won't be able to afford a good coil over system. a custom set of ground controls will run 650-$1000.

Last night i looked up all the parts necessary to make the coil overs (as per the write up on 240sx.org) yourself, and believe me, it's out there and pretty reasonable prices. I don't do modifications to the maxima, but i do what I can to my Stanza, and I do believe i'm going to make my own coilovers now.
Basically the front struts of a maxima are the same as the 240sx's front struts, however, you can't interchange them because the 240sx's strut extends too far down and will hit the axle. All the directions that guy posted are exactly the same for a maxima/stanza/altima (front suspension). I estimate that you can build front coil overs for around $180. Rear will be around $170. Then you have to buy new struts (koni).
Old 04-06-2003, 06:28 PM
STFU n00b!

where can you find the parts that cheap? Eibach ERS springs are $60 each to start with, so there's $240 just in springs...
Old 04-06-2003, 07:07 PM

where can you find the parts that cheap? Eibach ERS springs are $60 each to start with, so there's $240 just in springs...
I wasn't talking about eibach springs, I was talking about Afco springs as mentioned in the 240sx.org write up. On the write up there's a phone number to call for local distributors.
As for the quality of afcoil springs, it's up there, all the way up there. so, no need to discuss afcoil vs. eibach.
The prices are around $50-60 each, depending on size and rate. Threaded sleeves are $16, threaded spring seat is $12.
Prices could end up being $240 for just springs, no question about that, but this 'project' isn't for just springs, the end result is a coil over system, which is of great quality and one which you can say you made yourself. With the wide range of different height and rate springs available from Afco, it's very customizable to give you want you want. I would expect that when it's done, it would cost around $400-450. pretty cheap for a great suspension. I doubt anyone would want to make their own, but i just wanted to remind you guys, if you're serious about coil overs, they are available, you just have to be creative about getting them.
Old 04-06-2003, 08:21 PM
STFU n00b!

that's the point...
I missed the $180 for the front part.. just thought you said 180 for the whole thing..

I dunno about Afco springs, but the Eibach ERS stuff is guaranteed forever, no sag whatsoever.
Afco usually just rebadges other people's products, jsut like Stillen's brake stuff. Their brake stuff is either Hawk or Wilwood, whichever part you buy. just another reseller.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:22 AM

I dunno about Afco springs, but the Eibach ERS stuff is guaranteed forever, no sag whatsoever.
Afco usually just rebadges other people's products, jsut like Stillen's brake stuff. Their brake stuff is either Hawk or Wilwood, whichever part you buy. just another reseller.

Nah, Afco makes springs ('Afcoils').

Here are Afco's comments on their springs (hehe they got me sold!):

1.) CHROME SILICON WIRE (not chrome vanadium) used in every spring - not just certain rates - because of its higher tensile strength, longer life and ability to provide very consistent rates throughout a full range of wire sizes.
2.) COLD WOUND on the latest automatic coiling equipment and heat treated twice during manufacture to be able to withstand even the most abusive conditions.
3.) DOUBLE GROUND ENDS for even better consistency and straightness. Squareness tolerance held to within 1°.
4.) EXCLUSIVE DESIGN and manufacturing process ensures sides of spring remain parallel when installed, so the spring won‘t rub hardware.
5.) PROTECTIVE COATED instead of plated to avoid hydrogen embrittlement, which can shorten spring life.
6.) GUARANTEED for as long as you own them to remain within 2% of original free height.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:43 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Sudesh

Nah, Afco makes springs ('Afcoils').

Here are Afco's comments on their springs (hehe they got me sold!):

1.) CHROME SILICON WIRE (not chrome vanadium) used in every spring - not just certain rates - because of its higher tensile strength, longer life and ability to provide very consistent rates throughout a full range of wire sizes.
2.) COLD WOUND on the latest automatic coiling equipment and heat treated twice during manufacture to be able to withstand even the most abusive conditions.
3.) DOUBLE GROUND ENDS for even better consistency and straightness. Squareness tolerance held to within 1°.
4.) EXCLUSIVE DESIGN and manufacturing process ensures sides of spring remain parallel when installed, so the spring won‘t rub hardware.
5.) PROTECTIVE COATED instead of plated to avoid hydrogen embrittlement, which can shorten spring life.
6.) GUARANTEED for as long as you own them to remain within 2% of original free height.