3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

92 SE differential question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 06:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi all

The search feature is limited, so I cannot find out if this has been discussed in the past, but I had a question regarding a repair on my car. I have a 1992 Maxima SE, with the VE30DE engine (?? – the DOHC). My CV boots were both gone, so I ended up replacing the limited slip differential along with both axles (my mechanic did, not me). I now find that the power delivery to the wheels is significantly lower compared to before. Also the steering wheel is considerably stiffer than before.

(i) Is this normal? Do I need some break in time?
(ii) Also, since I have limited knowledge, let me ask a possibly stupid question – Can the whole assembly be put backwards, i.e., with the left and right sides exchanged? If so, can that be a cause of the problem?

Thanks for any answers!

--amit
(Amit Mathur)
Old 04-24-2003, 07:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've never heard of anyone replacing the LSD before (not that it cant be done). That would require taking out the transmission and probably taking apart some pieces inside there. Either way, that shouldn't have any efffect on your performance and shouldn't require break-in.
The axles can not be put in the wrong sides - the pass side is about a foot longer than the drivers side one because the tranny is located on the drivers side of the engine bay. These dont need to be broken in either and I dont really think they'd cause any performance difference. I guess they could cause a little difference in steering feel if your old CV joints were worn pretty badly.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:04 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: 92 SE differential question

hmm I am no expert on import transmissions but I beleive the limited slip diff. is internal...why would he replace that?

as far as the half shafts they are not reversable but maybe he got an axle that isnt for the VLSD trans which would mess up the power distribution. Of course I dont know that a non VLSD axle would go into the VLSD trans.

I replaced both of my axles and really didnt feel much difference in the drive but my old axles werent worn out...they just had busted cv boots.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am not sure what is going on -- maybe I should get it checked out. I was told that the two axles needed to be replaced together -- they came that way. I was surprised too that the differential needed to be replaced, but now that I think about it, that was probably not the case -- I just assumed that was true. By the way, both CV boots were worn, but one was dangerously so -- all grease was gone, and it was a disaster waiting to happen. Retrospectively, it was lucky, I guess, that I blew a tire, even though it was while going at 75 mph on a freeway. That led to the CV boot discovery.

All this still does not explain the power delivery aspect, though. Maybe I will get an alignment done, and that might take care of some of it. Thanks for the replies, though.

--amit
Old 04-24-2003, 08:34 AM

The axles from a non LSD tranny will not fit in the LSD tranny. Also, what Craig said is right. I also don't believe that your differential was replaced at all... I think you were took. How much did you pay for these repairs??
Old 04-24-2003, 08:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No, no! I paid a nominal amount -- $400 for the two axles to be replaced. And they both did need to be replaced. It was my mistake to think that the differential also had to be replaced. I should have known better after seeing that he charged me for just 1.75 hrs of labor. I know this mechanic well, and he is honest! Thanks for the reply, though! The next thing is to make sure that the axles are correct ones.

--amit

Originally posted by nismo1989
The axles from a non LSD tranny will not fit in the LSD tranny. Also, what Craig said is right. I also don't believe that your differential was replaced at all... I think you were took. How much did you pay for these repairs??
Old 04-24-2003, 12:22 PM

I didn't think axles had to be replaced in pairs. If one axle needs replacement, do that one and do the other when it has issues.

Now, if both CV boots were gone and the joints were bad, then yeah I'd replace them at the same time since the car would be in the shop just once, but otherwise, there is no need to do both axles at the same time.