3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Brake Light problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 08:51 PM

Brake Light problem

Sup guys. So the other night I turn on my headlights, and notice that my brake lights werent coming on when I hit the brakes, although the tail lights were on. So of course I check the fuses. Bam, found a blown fuse. Replaced it, turned on the lights, applied brakes, bam, it blows again. So, sounds like a surge somewhere in the line. I checked out my bulbs and sockets. The bulbs are no older than like 1 or 2 months, and the sockets looked good, EXCEPT for one. seems like one of the 2 contact points on one of the sockets is black. Im not sure what this means, but thought you experts out there could maybe help me out.

Thanks for reading...
Old 05-13-2003, 11:02 PM

bumpy, this is important...
Old 05-14-2003, 07:44 AM

Wow, finally asked a question nobody knows the answer to? hmmmmm
Old 05-14-2003, 08:20 AM

well i'm not relly an electrical guy but check your battery. is it in good condition. also i know this one sounds stupid but make sure you're replcaing the fuse with the same as the original. also have you installed anything in your car recently?
Old 05-14-2003, 08:23 AM

oh and also when does the fuse blow. does it happen when the engine is off/on or both? try turning all other electrical items in your car off and then seeing if it still blows. try taking the key out and then hitting your brakes. the brake lights should still turn on. this way you can see if anything else may be causing the problem. thats it for now i think
Old 05-14-2003, 09:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it probably is that one socket that looks suspect

try unplugging that side taillight assembly (there is a 4 or 5 wire harness at the bottom) and then hit the brakes and see if the fuse still blows, try to isolate the problem this way. I had corrosion on my socket to one of the brake lights and I was able to fix it just with some electrical tape around the corroded wire. Try that or replace the whole taillight bulb holder piece with one from a junkyard (or new)
Old 05-23-2003, 09:19 AM

I guess my real question is, is that messed up contact enough to blow a fuse everytime?? Cause youd think a messed up contact would just keep a bulb from working, IE Less Power. And the fuse should only blow if TOO MUCH power is going through it. Know what Im saying? Im gonna go buy a ton of fuses this week and mess around with it, but PLEASE think about this problem guys, I need the experianced dudes in this with me. haha later fellas
Old 05-23-2003, 11:39 PM

OK THIS HAPPENED TO ME!!!! i blew like 10 fuses until i finially realized that i put the wrong bulb in the rear socket. if you did this then it will short circuit the wiring. Go to the back of the trunk. Take out the blubs. Look at the socket.. if there is two dots lol this : make certain that the bulb contact has :... now if you use a bulb that has this : ina socket that has this . then its not gonna work properly. check that and see if that fixes the problem. It was weird because i would tought the brake pedal and the lights on my dash would be off.. and i press the pedal and the lights come on and the corner lights would come on, but then the minute i turn on the head lights the gauges lights wouldnt come on. i press the brake pedal and the lights came on

trust me check that out.. since you just changed your bulbs you probably put the wrong bulbs in the wrong socket.. check the front also to make certain that you didnt put the wrong bulbs in there too.

remember : is a two connection for a : bulb and the singal . is ofr the bubls that have one contact
Old 05-28-2003, 01:34 PM

No its not that. ALL the lights work except the actual brake lights. I still have the idle lights in the rear, but when I hit the brakes, the Lights dont "get brighter" the way they normally would. I mean damn its risky driving around without my brake lights and Id love to hear some more ideas... Thanks a lot for the help so far though, glad to see some progress...
Old 05-28-2003, 01:45 PM

Something similar to this happen to me about a month ago, but it was my tailights and brake lights all together.
In my situation I poped the trunk and removed my spare tire and there was a puddle of water at the bottom with my retarded trailerhitch harness submerged in it. I disconected the harness and its worked fine every since.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think he is using an 1156 bulb instead of the 1157 bulb. They look the same, but the connectors on the bottom are different. That's why when he hits the brake, the bulb doesn't get any brighter. And probably why he is blowing the fuses.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:08 PM

If your saying the crap about the . and : connectors, I am not that ignorant and I triple checked it. BESIDES, Like I said, this problem happened long after I got new bulbs put in, like a month or so. As long as : is matched with : and the same for . then there SHOULDNT be a problem. The only visual problem I can see is how a Contact on one of the Tail light lights is kinda corroded looking, but That shouldnt be a problem seeing as how its on the tail light system and it comes on fine. I am just totally confused about what caused it.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

like I said before, it probably is the taillight harness that is causing problems

test it like I mentioned above and see if the fuse still blows or not
tape up the corroded wire or replace the socket and wiring back there
Old 05-28-2003, 05:28 PM

yea, check the tail light harness, i had the same problem...one of the sockets had burned up (don't know why), replaced the whole harness with a new one from nissan...wasn't that much if i recall..think it was about $30...but try a new harness like craig said!!
Old 09-05-2003, 02:34 PM

******** BUMP******** Just happend again. Ok This is in my VE Max. The other night i was driving and i was going through a sharp turn and the gauges went dead corner lights and tails dead, Headlights are ok. The only thing i can think of is the corner side markers, the bulbs was taking out when i put my HID's In. THe other day i decided to put back my corner light bulbs, Every thing was fine. I cleaned the bulbs witha napkin to take off the oils of my finger print. The next thing i can think of is that i took out my fog lights b.c. the rusted off and the bolt broke, could it be that the wiring harness is wet, but the thing is that the fuse that is being blown is the Tail Lamp. There is alot of crap in my trunk and i think that the tool box is hitting the wiring harness or some wire is bing pinched.

I got fuses but the minute i put it in and turn on the parking lights the pop! sounds like a surge.

What do you think could be the problem. I am gonna try taking out the bulb from my corners. Can a bad bulb or blown bulb cause the fuse to pop. It sucks cause i have to drive at night with my hazards. BTW tail brake lights come on, reverse lights come on and turn signals come on.

signed Izzy
Old 09-05-2003, 04:50 PM

The problem may not be related to the bulbs at all. Why not unplug the tail light harness, as suggested and see if you can isolate the problem. It could be the brake light switch. Also, have a look inside the light bulbs make sure the filaments (little wires that light) are connected and not touching each other.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:43 AM

fixed it. I did a ghetto re-wire so that i can have my fogs on when i turn on the parking lights. seems like i didnt tape it up using electrical tape. So the wire kept touching the metal and viola, blown fuse. i just took off the wire connectors for the corners unitl i get til and do the job right, Thanxz all
Old 09-06-2003, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by 92SE_Threat
only visual problem I can see is how a Contact on one of the Tail light lights is kinda corroded looking, but That shouldnt be a problem seeing as how its on the tail light system and it comes on fine. I am just totally confused about what caused it.
It's either a wire shorting out or a corroded bulb holder (you can't put in a 2 filament bulb in the wrong way without forcing it - if you have to force it, its wrong). Not likely to be brake switch - either it works or it don't.
Auto Electrics 101:
If the contact is burnt, the current can't flow thru the bulb properly causing the wire to heat up & the fuse to blow (protecting the car from fire). The wiring only allows a certain current load & takes into account voltage drop & current restrictions (bulbs & connectors) over whole circuit. The extra current load on a bad circuit is same as overloading power outlet at home - you trip a fuse or circuit breaker.
A short in a pinched wiring can also cause fuses to pop but more likely not - unless the shorted wire is arcing onto earth or trying to power another live circuit.
As brake light circuit is live all the time - ain't gonna matter if you've got ignition on or not.
BTW - have you done some wiring stuff about same time as brake lights stopped working i.e. add an amplifier, replace radio etc - you may have taken feed from brake circuit by mistake.
Okay, start by removing bulb from suspect holder & hit the brakes. If the lights work, there's your problem area. If fuse still blows, keep removing bulbs using process of elimination. Eventually you'll find the bad contact (maybe even hi-stop light!). If the suspect holder is the problem, get a multimeter & measure voltage going thru good connector & then thru the suspect one. They should be the same - if voltage drops on suspect connector, sand it down or replace it.
Hope this helps & good luck