3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

intermittent bogging....again

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

intermittent bogging....again

OK...went to dealer and no codes present on ecu. They also checked tranny connections and all seem fine (they put 55 miles on it)

Problem: Intermittent freeway bog (like its cutting out, and RPM's shoot way up [as if in neutral]) This is a 92 SE auto.

Also, very sluggish in lower RPM's ....From reading the posts, I think this could be the knock sensor, as it also SOMETIMES has a rough idle. I also read about Mass Air Flow Sensor, and the Coil Packs going bad. I want to tackle at least part of this multi-problem. I read the job task on the knock sensor and will do that a little later, but for now curious to know about the intermittent freeway bog (just at around 65 mph). Mass-Air? Coils? Injectors? your thoughts are appreciated. BTW, trans was rebuilt and axels replaced about a year and a half ago.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:03 PM
TLM

Try the mass air flow sensor first. I changed mine today and it *seems* to have cut the hard shifting I was having. Changing my coils did nothing for me.

I say *seems* to have fixed the problem, because other people have done similar things and the problem went away for a month or two only to return.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:32 PM

Re: intermittent bogging....again

Originally posted by bear
OK...went to dealer and no codes present on ecu. They also checked tranny connections and all seem fine (they put 55 miles on it)

Problem: Intermittent freeway bog (like its cutting out, and RPM's shoot way up [as if in neutral]) This is a 92 SE auto.

Also, very sluggish in lower RPM's ....From reading the posts, I think this could be the knock sensor, as it also SOMETIMES has a rough idle. I also read about Mass Air Flow Sensor, and the Coil Packs going bad. I want to tackle at least part of this multi-problem. I read the job task on the knock sensor and will do that a little later, but for now curious to know about the intermittent freeway bog (just at around 65 mph). Mass-Air? Coils? Injectors? your thoughts are appreciated. BTW, trans was rebuilt and axels replaced about a year and a half ago.

Have you replaced the tranny fluid yet? If not then, its a must.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: intermittent bogging....again

Originally posted by eric93SE

Have you replaced the tranny fluid yet? If not then, its a must.
Yup...trans fluid replaced when it went into the dealership for testing. It seems like it is more electronically related rather than mechanically related. When it bogs on the freeway, (as if it was put in neutral) the Amber Power indicator light will come on. After a second or two, the tach will resume back to its normal RPM position at 65 mph and the car will continue as if nothing happened. Any know what gives? Fuel cutting out?
Old 05-22-2003, 11:10 AM

Well if it were fuel related, then try replacing the relay for the fuel pump located in the trunk. Have you replaced your fuel filter?

Also the alternator is a well known problem, if you have a lot of mileage on the alt. then it might be causeing the trouble.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by eric93SE
Well if it were fuel related, then try replacing the relay for the fuel pump located in the trunk. Have you replaced your fuel filter?

Also the alternator is a well known problem, if you have a lot of mileage on the alt. then it might be causeing the trouble.
Good point....I will replace the fuel filter and fuel relay and see what happens. As for the alternator, it is original and my car has 97K miles on it. All electrical components working though, except crazy behavior on power lock system. Are you thinking that the alternator could be interferring with power to computers/sensors? thanks.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:39 PM

Try to get your hands on a MAF sensor... i bet that will fix it..
i was having some crazy on/off hesitaion, start, problems and bad gas milage, now with the MAF replaced.. its great! the car feels new...(after i warm the auto tranny up)
i think everyone with a max over 100k should get a new MAF
Old 05-22-2003, 08:44 PM

Check the coil wiring. That could give you a problem like that.

Sven