3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Highbeam rewire question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2001, 09:42 PM

Does anybody know how to rewire the high beams so they don't disable the lowbeams when they're on? I'm working on a mod I want to do a while from now, and the highbeams cutting out the lowbeams is quite annoying.
Old 01-26-2001, 10:16 PM

I second that!
Old 01-26-2001, 11:21 PM

I would think it would make the bulb way too hot. There are two seperate filimants, one for normal and one for high. I would think that both burning at the same time would get to hot for the bulb to handle.
Old 01-27-2001, 07:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont know whether or not this would really be a good idea or not. Like Hojo said, it would probably get too hot. It might melt your headlight (expensive), burn out the bulb quickly, or melt the harness.
Also, I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference or not..
but, I think I know a way to do it. it would involve just adding one diode to each headlight (a diode only allows current to go in one direction). If you put it connecting the wires for low and high beams and allowing current to flow from the high to low, then when you turned your high beam on, it would also give power to the low, but when your low was on, current couldn't go through that way so the highs would stay off
I'm not sure exactly what type of diode you would need, but if you go to Radio Shack or somewhere like that, just tell them it's for 12Volt and 10-15Amp usage and they should know what would work
the colors of teh wires are:
left: red/black-high, red/yellow-low
right: red/green-high, red/blue-low

if you try this, let me know if it works or if you have any more questions
Old 01-28-2001, 04:12 PM

I have the APC Upgrade harness installed for my bulbs. Given the bulbs may be too hot and burn out, wouldnt it be possible to just rewire one of the relays as you did with the fog light rewire? I plan on doing the fog light rewire sometime real soon also.
Old 01-29-2001, 05:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah, it's probably possible to do by changing the relay a little but I didn't take the time to think about it and I do'nt have my FSM with me to refer to for colors right now
I just thought the diodes might be easier, but I still don't know how much difference it would make to have both high and low beams on at the same time
Old 02-02-2001, 02:25 PM

Ok, you guys got me

Here's the real reason I want to have my highbeams rewired...
I've been saving up for the BMW E36 headlight assemblies
and a Philips BMW E36 HID kit for my Maxima.... I'm hoping
with both, I won't have any lighting problems for a real long time. Anyway, if I have the lowbeams wired to cut off when the high beams come on, that would be real inefficient for the HID's to switch off and on. I was thinking that with the cutoff disabled, I could have both the HID and the highbeams running at the same time.. that would look cool and be bright as hell and a little bit more legal.