3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

finally...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 08:40 PM

finally...

(Long, sorry)

Well today was the Day I finally got to take my max home. It's been in the shop since I bought it(the guy I bought it from put a new tranny in for free!) I must say VE's kick ***. I have some pics of it but that will have to wait till tomorrow. For now I have some questions.

1) I drove it tonight and found out that there are NO high beams and only one light comes on for the lows. I tinkered with the light plug in thing on the one that wasnt working on low beam and it came on for 5 seconds and went off. So what do you guys and gals think I should do about this? I was thinking about getting bright white bulbs anyway, could it be just the bulbs them selves?

2) I havent searched for it, but are there posts that talk about what to do for a dead clock?

3)What do I do about that loud Ticking noise??....J/K! It has 132k and NO ticking!

4) On the hood it looks like some thing liquid was spilled on it and it left like long streaks of discolored paint all over the hood. Its not too terribly noticable but I was wondering if anyone else has had this or something similar and what to do about it.

Ok I had better stop, I'll try to get pics up tomorrow. Got some good ones tonight
Old 06-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

for the lights, it sounds like the filaments are just burnt out. Replace them bad boys
Old 06-27-2003, 10:42 AM

bump
Old 06-27-2003, 11:53 AM

1. Get silverstars.
2. Yes there are many posts about the dead clock. You can resolder the capacitors yourself or some people will fix it if you mail it to them.
3.--
4. Can't help, but you might try a clay bar or some rubbing compound or just repaint the hood if your really concerned with it.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:06 PM

thanks for the imput....going to the speed shop to see what I can find. Oh and how are the cool blues compared to the silverstars? I know silvers are better but does the price difference match the quality difference?
Old 06-27-2003, 04:11 PM

silverstars are a little brighter than most xenons, but they have a more yellow tint to them than say showoffs. My friend just got silvers to replace his showoffs, they have a little purple tint to them when you look at them, but the light on the ground is a little more yellow than the showoffs. Its still white tho
Old 06-27-2003, 04:34 PM

OK well I just put in my silverstars and guess what, question number one is still going on...it wasnt the bulbs...well one was blown, but even with the silver star in its place it doesnt light up. So I still have one low beam and No highbeams. Does anyone have ANY advice or things to try that arent smartass remarks?thanks!
Old 06-27-2003, 08:39 PM

most likely your wiring harness, gotta get one myself. apparently like 30 bucks. And if you were talking to me about smart comments, showoff is a brand that makes xenons.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:19 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Re: finally...

Originally posted by vwink182
(Long, sorry)

Well today was the Day I finally got to take my max home. It's been in the shop since I bought it(the guy I bought it from put a new tranny in for free!) I must say VE's kick ***. I have some pics of it but that will have to wait till tomorrow. For now I have some questions.

1) I drove it tonight and found out that there are NO high beams and only one light comes on for the lows. I tinkered with the light plug in thing on the one that wasnt working on low beam and it came on for 5 seconds and went off. So what do you guys and gals think I should do about this? I was thinking about getting bright white bulbs anyway, could it be just the bulbs them selves?
Sounds like your harness went the way of the "do-do bird". Perhaps the prior owner had tried to use some high wattage bulbs, which may account for this. Your plug has three wires coming from it - one for low beam, one for high beam, and one that's ground. Test the wires at the plug with a DMM or even a visual inspection may uncover burned wires or a melted plug. You can replace the plug, if that's the case, from your local auto parts store for little or nothing.

2) I havent searched for it, but are there posts that talk about what to do for a dead clock?
Like midnight said, loose soldering is likely the culprit. If you feel confident, you can fix the clock yourself using a solder gun and a steady hand. Or you can buy the one I've got that's fixed for a nice price. PM me on that one...

3)What do I do about that loud Ticking noise??....J/K! It has 132k and NO ticking!

4) On the hood it looks like some thing liquid was spilled on it and it left like long streaks of discolored paint all over the hood. Its not too terribly noticable but I was wondering if anyone else has had this or something similar and what to do about it.
I'd try rubbing compound, which should remove that oxidation and discoloration.

Ok I had better stop, I'll try to get pics up tomorrow. Got some good ones tonight
Old 06-28-2003, 12:07 AM

tom91- no I was just trying to avoid worthless posts cause I need help with my lights NOW...where are you getting the wiring harness from?

nubian - dude thanks for that info, about the plug, do you mean the part that just plugs into the bulb? You can get that plug at say advanced auto parts? Oh and on my way to work today I got to fiddling with the clock....I just gave it a hard flick right on the plastic above it and it turned right on easy fix
Old 06-28-2003, 01:06 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Yep. I'm talking about the part that plugs into the bulb. Start your testing/inspection there and work down the wire. You may need to pull back some of the tape covering the three wires, in case you need to replace the plug. They commonly refer to it as a pigtail harness, and yes, you should be able to get it at advanced auto parts.

As for the clock thing, that's what I used to do all the time to fix mine, until I did a pretty interesting mod. I'll be posting pics of what I did on my website soon as I get my new computer up and running.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:15 AM

Again thanks nubian. I'll be checking out those wires today. Can't wait to see the new mod I should have a website up by Sunday with some pics of my bone-stock 92. Mods on the way.......
Old 06-28-2003, 09:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Headlight wiring harness for 9004 at Autozone is $5.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:45 AM

Ok well I figured out that the light deal is either the column stalk switch or the combination switch. Where should I look for these? On here? Danke.