3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel injector type?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 03:17 PM

Fuel injector type?

Without actually pulling the fuel injector out, can one tell which fuel injector I have in my '89 SE? My car is running with a noticeable miss and lack of power, and I suspect my #1 injector is bad. The way I determined this is by disconnecting each fuel injector connector one at a time until I found the one which didn't make the engine miss even more. The OHM reading on the #1 injector was also much higher than the other injectors. I notice that there are two available for sale (a blue and a black), but am unsure as to which one I should buy since I haven't had the time to pull my fuel injector off yet.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated; would like to place an order for one from my local Autozone before the 4th so that I can have a remote chance of getting it changed by the weekend.

-Alan

==============
'89 SE, 240K miles
Old 07-02-2003, 03:42 PM

You do not need to remove the injector to see what color dot it has.

Look where the elect connector connects to the injector. There should be a dot painted on the injector. Look for either a blue dot or a black dot. Order the color that you have.

All your injectors should have the same color dot.

Hope this helps
Old 07-02-2003, 03:59 PM

"Kawazilla12R",

Thanks for the response; is this color dot on the side of the fuel injector where the connector has that half-circle cut on it? I recall seeing some kind of black marking there but was unsure as to whether it was the actual color marking of the fuel injector, or maybe it was just dirty.

Also, since you used to be a tech, does my diagnosis seem correct in concluding that I have a bad fuel injector? I did clean all my contacts to all the fuel injectors beforehand ... some corrosion was present ... but no improvement was noticed in its power or idle quality.

-Alan

===================
'89 SE, 240k miles
Old 07-03-2003, 10:43 AM

Yep, that's it. Either blue or black dot.

Nice diag. job you did there. I would feel confident that the injector is indeed bad by the results you found. Make sure to use new injector o-rings and lube them with some spray silicone. That will insure that injector fully seats when installed.

By the way...Nissan has the best spray silicone that money can buy

I tried others but they don't work nearly as good as the Nissan spray
Old 07-03-2003, 10:48 AM

"Kawazilla12R",

Thanks, I'll give it a try then. My gripe right now is that no local auto part store has it readily in stock or can get it to me within a day, so I may opt to go with a website for fuel injectors which some other participants on this forum think highly of. So if I do that, I'd like to make sure I order the correct part.

Will keep you posted ...

-Alan