3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What do you think about this keyless entry, and how hard DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 04:13 PM

I just want a regular keyless entry, no alarm or anything, just want keyless entry and trunk. i found this at autotoys, damn good price to id say 40 bucks. it the crimestopper CS845RKE keyless entry, which supposedly replaced the 835 which they have for 15 bucks more.....
heres a link: http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wf...TOPPERCS845RKE

but i really dont know much about these things at all. Is this a good model/product, and how hard of a DIY for install would you guys say? Id like to not pay a shop for install if theres not too much risk of ruining my car... you know what im sayin?? Thanks alot guys, appreciate it..

[Edited by Dabman90GXE on 02-01-2001 at 06:29 PM]
Old 02-01-2001, 04:29 PM

I had a crime stopper put in last week. I bought one of the keyless entry / remote start models and I Love it! You should check out their remote start options...it's prolly not that much more.

However, I opened the box and looked at the vague instructions and decided to have a local pro put it in. I'm way glad I did too, because he found a problem with the brain of mine...a problem I would NEVER had found. Plus, I know I would have ruined the whole car. Oh! He said that he couldn't install it with Just the parts that came in the box because of the Security system on my max...so I had to buy some transponser to over ride it or something. As you can see, I don't know what the freak I'm talking about, but I do know it was a bit more involved that reading the instructions splicing a few wires.

Anyway, keyless rocks.
matt
Old 02-01-2001, 04:48 PM

heh..cool, yea two of my friends just put remote atart in, and even though its an awseome feature, i really dont need it, just want to be able to open w/o typing the code or jiggling the key in the door. thanks for the info, i was wondering if it would be a pain to get around the stock security system... maybe i will have it done like you, dont wanna screw anything up (which i have a tendency to do)
Old 02-01-2001, 08:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dabman90GXE
heh..cool, yea two of my friends just put remote atart in, and even though its an awseome feature, i really dont need it, just want to be able to open w/o typing the code or jiggling the key in the door. thanks for the info, i was wondering if it would be a pain to get around the stock security system... maybe i will have it done like you, dont wanna screw anything up (which i have a tendency to do)
keyless entry isn't that hard to do, you just have to take apart the lower portion of your dash under the steering wheel (very easy-10 screws or so) and then splice a bunch of wires
my website has the colors for you and locations, if you have trouble I can help you out
for the trunk, you will probably have to add a relay ,but that's not too hard either and I can tell you more if you want
even though it doesn't have outputs for alarm arm/disarm, I can tell you how to do it so that it works with the factory alarm when you lock/unlock pretty easily using a diode (less than $1 at Radio Shack)
let me know if you want me to tell you this stuff and I can post it sometime tomorrow while I'm at work doing nothing or email me at craigbrace@hotmail.com, I have ICQ also, but I can't think of my number so just search for Craig Brace if you have it
Old 02-01-2001, 08:29 PM

thanks craig, you just saved me a chunk of money! i saw the wiring diagrams before, and you just reminded me of em, plus i downloaded matts stuff too, if you havent seen what he has i can send it to you, pretty good stuff to add to yours! plus with your help i think i can manage this. Also, my dad is really good with electronics and ill get him to help me out with this so he will know what hes doing, and he knows all about the diodes and such, so hell just need the basic instructions which ill ask you about later and wires which you have on your site. ill probably email you, but if you go on aim, im on all the time! my sn is branmanl, i added you to my list already. later! (i have icq but i never go on it, everyone i know is on aim.)
Old 02-01-2001, 09:22 PM

Craig, is it difficult to install the remote start?
Old 02-01-2001, 09:53 PM

Also curious, are there any features i need to look for in my remote start/keyless entry system? i know that one thing for the keyless is if the nissan has postive or negative door unlock, which is it?
Old 02-02-2001, 06:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ngthing- remote starter isn't that much harder; you have to add a relay for it because our cars have 2 starter wires
you can search for it because I think it's been explained before, if you cant find it, i can post it
as far as features, most of them are very similar; factory alarm arm/disarm is a nice feature, but you can get by without it
look on ebay for good deals
between my site and Matts site, that should be plenty of info for it

I forgot to add, it is a negative pulse for the lock/unlock; the alarm also needs a - pulse for arm/disarm

[Edited by «§»Craig B«§» on 02-02-2001 at 09:47 AM]
Old 02-02-2001, 01:10 PM

Check eBay for possibly better prices...

I paid $45 for mine (here's a link to the same one I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...184008&r=0&t=0 ) and the range is AWESOME with the external powered antenee.

The keyless entry part is pretty easy. The remote start is a little harder (Craig and I worked on mine, with limited time and didn't get it...it has since been figured out but I've been to lazy to do it). I'm just using the keyless entry/trunk pop features right now.

Just check over eBay for some better deals on keyless entry/remote starters (I'd search for "remote start"). Thats where I got mine (make sure its a reputable seller).

Ryan
ryan@fobart.net