3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

WarpSpeed B-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 10:31 AM

WarpSpeed B-Pipe

WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

FedEx just dropped off the new WarpSpeed 2.5" B-pipe w/resonator. This thing looks SWEET. Since I'm at work I can't crawl under the car to check fitment, but it looks well engineered. Even the box it was shipped in seemed to have some for thought into it. It is almost a perfect fit across the back seat.

All I need now is a high flow cat. Not sure whether to get the Carsound or the Metal Substrate from Warpspeed. Anyone have experience with the Metal Substrate Cat?

Here's the thing layed out on my spare bedroom floor along with the Edlebrock RPM freeflo muffler and the Hooker Import Classic twin tip.....

Gotta get a Cat soon!
Old 07-12-2003, 12:19 PM

Just got the Warpspeed 2.5" B-pipe w/resonator put on. I'm going to send a copy of this to Dallas at Warpspeed and if I get a reply I'll post that too...

When I first got the pipes I thought they looked well done and that there would be no problems. Boy was I wrong. Once under the car it didn't take long to see that there was going to be a number of problems to deal with. Nothing unfixable, but problems still. I wish I had brought my digital camera. Pictures would have been much better.

The pipe ships as 3 pieces. The first is the flange and resonator piece. This piece was the ONLY one that did not have any problems. The next piece is just a short 90 with a muffler hanger welded to it. As shipped, it was to long going into the resonator pipe and if the hanger was used as is the pipes would rub against the chassis. The third piece had even MORE probems although it was also the most complex pipe. The first problem was that the bend transitioning from across the car to back was only about 70-75 degrees and needed to be about 85 degrees. The next problem was that the pipe was to long on each end. The third probem was that the muffler hanger was again in the wrong place. This time instead of just causing the pipes to rub, it was completely unreachable.

So three cuts, one bend and two new hangers later I had it installed.

On the end of the exhaust I used a 2.5" Edlebrock RPM muffler. With the current setup (still going through the stock Cat) is that the car is MUCH more responsive. It's also WAY to loud. This has nothing to do with the Warpspeed B-pipe. It's the RPM muffler that's to blame here. TOO freeflow. I wanted somethign quiet when driving normally but that would growl under power. This thing rumbles at idle and roars when you boot it. I'm gonna have to find a more suitable replacement.

My conclusion about the B-pipe is that once you get it installed it's great, but it's not a bolt on affair. Looking at the price difference between the complete Greddy catback and the Warpspeed B-pipe, I guess I'd have to say that it's worth the $175 ($155 if you also get a y-pipe). You need to be aware that you'll have some trial cutting and fitting to do so if you're having a shop put it on be prepared to pay extra.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Large Member

WSP's stuff is definitely worth the insanely cheap price. BTW, I have a Borla Turbo muffler. It's only $100 from Jegs and is decently quiet. Though, you can definitely hear the car and it really screams at around 5k. The only problem I have is WSP shipped me a damn louvered core resonator on my b-pipe! I just assumed they were going to use a glasspack resonator. Louvered core hurts the flow and also causes a lot more resonating. Right now it's causing me to get a lot of resonating at around 2k, and it gets really damn annoying. Oh well, I just use that as an excuse to get on it and keep the rpm up! I already got 20min of vhs footage on my car. Now I need to edit the stuff in windows and make multiple smaller clips, then I'll be posting it soon.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:29 AM

Re: WarpSpeed B-Pipe

Originally posted by shoult
All I need now is a high flow cat. Not sure whether to get the Carsound or the Metal Substrate from Warpspeed. Anyone have experience with the Metal Substrate Cat?
I've had the metal substrate cat for around a year now, and it's still good even after being on my rich-running vg. As for a power increase, I'm not really sure as I did the entire exhaust at once, and have not tried the carsound cat.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:32 AM
Large Member

Brad90max, sorry to be off topic but, you might want to check your FPR. My VG has been running rich for at least 1yr and it all boiled down to my FPR being dead or worn out, which can cause it to run wide open or flow 100%. Hehe, I burned up my brand new cat in about 2 months! :-(