3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 06:25 PM

Help!!!!!

Hi guys, first off, this may be long, so please bear with me. I have a 93 SE 5spd. I recently got a tune-up, which included the factory platinum tip plugs, pcv, fuel filter, air filter, service throttle body. recently,although the car does need a clutch, I noticed that when accelerating I feel a loss of power, like hesitation through 2500-3000 rpms, and if I nail it, it picks up later in a higher rpm. Is this injectors? I did not replace the distributor when doing the tune-up, and haven't since I've owned the car, nor replaced the spark plug wires. I usually burn the cheapest gas (87)octane. But today, put in 93 octane. I have also used a bottle of injector cleaner from time to time. Anyone have any ideas what this may be? Clutch? My second problem, upon slowing down to a stop, my tach drops down very low and feels like it wants to stall, but hasn't yet. As soon as it goes down, it goes right back to where it usually idles, just around 800 rpms. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm no mechanic, and I know alot of you are very mechanically inclined. I will be having a new clutch in about a week or two.
Sorry for the long wind, but I think the more info, the better the response I'll hopefully get.
Thanks again
Jeff
Old 07-11-2003, 07:10 PM

Re: Help!!!!!

Originally posted by JEFF93SE
Hi guys, first off, this may be long, so please bear with me. I have a 93 SE 5spd. I recently got a tune-up, which included the factory platinum tip plugs, pcv, fuel filter, air filter, service throttle body. recently,although the car does need a clutch, I noticed that when accelerating I feel a loss of power, like hesitation through 2500-3000 rpms, and if I nail it, it picks up later in a higher rpm. Is this injectors? I did not replace the distributor when doing the tune-up, and haven't since I've owned the car, nor replaced the spark plug wires. I usually burn the cheapest gas (87)octane. But today, put in 93 octane. I have also used a bottle of injector cleaner from time to time. Anyone have any ideas what this may be? Clutch? My second problem, upon slowing down to a stop, my tach drops down very low and feels like it wants to stall, but hasn't yet. As soon as it goes down, it goes right back to where it usually idles, just around 800 rpms. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm no mechanic, and I know alot of you are very mechanically inclined. I will be having a new clutch in about a week or two.
Sorry for the long wind, but I think the more info, the better the response I'll hopefully get.
Thanks again
Jeff
Jeff,
I'm no exeprt by any means...but do you notice the first problem all the time or only after the engine warms up? While I wouldn't rule out the injectors it could be also your knock sensor if it happens after warmup. Basically the Maxima well be a beast when the engine is cold but a dog once its warmed up, at least to about 3500 RPMs then its pretty much okay. This is common on VE Maximas when the knock sensor goes bad. Do a search on "Heatsoak" and see if this is consistant with your problem. Good luck.
-Mike
Old 07-11-2003, 07:29 PM

Re: Re: Help!!!!!

Originally posted by VEMaxSE93

Jeff,
I'm no exeprt by any means...but do you notice the first problem all the time or only after the engine warms up? While I wouldn't rule out the injectors it could be also your knock sensor if it happens after warmup. Basically the Maxima well be a beast when the engine is cold but a dog once its warmed up, at least to about 3500 RPMs then its pretty much okay. This is common on VE Maximas when the knock sensor goes bad. Do a search on "Heatsoak" and see if this is consistant with your problem. Good luck.
-Mike
yes, as a matter of fact, it is only when the car is warm! It goes like a bat out of hell when it's cold, but def. turns into a dog upon warm up!
Thanks man!
I will replace the knock sensor, btw, how much will a knock sensor cost me?
Thanks again.
Jeff
Old 07-12-2003, 12:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Help!!!!!

Originally posted by JEFF93SE

yes, as a matter of fact, it is only when the car is warm! It goes like a bat out of hell when it's cold, but def. turns into a dog upon warm up!
Thanks man!
I will replace the knock sensor, btw, how much will a knock sensor cost me?
Thanks again.
Jeff
Hi Jeff,
I haven't done this to my car yet but I hope to do it soon. I've heard you can get the parts at a discount from courtesynissan.com just by being a maxima.org member! You'll need the sensor and the harness for the best results. Go to that site and see what the prices are. If you can install them yourself you can save a lot of money. I spoke to a mechanic and he said the job would cost about $400 parts and labor. I'm not sure if this is consistant or not though. But do the "heatsoak" search for more detailed info as there could be other factors to consider.
-Mike
Old 07-12-2003, 01:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help!!!!!

Originally posted by VEMaxSE93

Hi Jeff,
I haven't done this to my car yet but I hope to do it soon. I've heard you can get the parts at a discount from courtesynissan.com just by being a maxima.org member! You'll need the sensor and the harness for the best results. Go to that site and see what the prices are. If you can install them yourself you can save a lot of money. I spoke to a mechanic and he said the job would cost about $400 parts and labor. I'm not sure if this is consistant or not though. But do the "heatsoak" search for more detailed info as there could be other factors to consider.
-Mike
MAke that url www.courtesyparts.com instead